Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - Film Recommendations *READ FIRST POST*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,190 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

From Dusk Till Dawn looks like a good series, watched the first one the other night, it's well worth checking out.

http://m.joblo.com/aith/news/43658

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,052 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Separate threads for film & TV
    I watched The Bleeding House on Netflix USA today; a really nicely-put together thriller about a family trying to rebuild their lives after a violent tragedy, and how their lives are irrevocably changed by an uexpected visitor. It caught my eye as it was recommended based on my high ratings for both Pontypool and Yellowbrickroad. Those films are reasonable comparisons in terms of tone, but I think in terms of overall narrative this is closer to Killer Joe, Stoker, Excision or American Mary.

Well worth a watch if you like your horror a bit more thought-provoking and tense.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Trailer Park Boys is on UK/Irish one now.

I used to watch this years ago and found it hilarious, I have been told I have a strange sense of humour though....

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,262 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Trailer Park Boys is on UK/Irish one now.

I used to watch this years ago and found it hilarious, I have been told I have a strange sense of humour though....

It's a great show, Netflix are making 2 new seasons of it :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Absolutely fantastic show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Zymurgist

another thumbs up for trailer park boys, brilliant show

• Registered Users Posts: 60,596 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The Running Man is up on the US Netflix.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Auschwitz: Nazis and The Final Solution

Six part BBC documentary about the infamous death camp. One of the best docs I have seen about WW2. It's really well made with fascinating interviews with former inmates and guards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,002 ✭✭✭Seedy Arling

Watched two conspiracy theory found footage 'documentary' style movies.

The Conspiracy (Irish Netflix) was fairly ok, I'm a fan of conspiracy theories and all that stuff. It was fairly well made and kept me interested to a point. It touched on all the main areas of conspiracy theory interest like JFK's assasination, the Illuminati etc.

Lunopolis (American Netflix) looks like it was made for a fiver by a group of friends who dreamed up the plot after too many space cakes. It revolves around people who live on the moon who control the earth. There was a twenty minute talking head segment in the middle where it looks like they got their mothers/fathers/vagrants to read from a script to fill out the story.

There was more twists in the ending than needed to be. It's so bad it's good though. I kept expecting a boom mike to swing in and hit one of the leads over the head or something. Some excellent photoshop 'skills' in it too. :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I've finished up French series The Returned on Netflix local (TV show, not film) and I'd recommend it to anyone. It's truly fantastic television, with an artistry rarely seen in that medium. Bits of Twin Peaks, Lost etc... but with a completely unique identity. It's creepy as hell, but also very atmospheric, expertly paced and intelligent storytelling. Over eight episodes it feels like the characters and themes have more chance to breathe than full runs of many shows. Very highly recommended, curious to check out the film (also on there) to compare and contrast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,752 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

How to be a man 2013

This is good movie with a bit of quirky humor to it and its on the US netflix.

Its about a middle aged man going through a bit of a crisis, his wife is expecting their first child and he employs a 20 year old lad to film a guide on how to be a man for his unborn child.

Plenty of foul language and nudity in this one.

http://youtu.be/Iea2xmoOSRo

Haven't used Netflix in just under a month so was happy to see that unblock-us no have an option to disable forced subtitles on the foreign services. It's a small but fantastic little option

Just noticed that A Touch of Sin has been added to the US catalogue. Been looking forward to seeing it for ages and only got the Blu-Ray yesterday.

Few other new additions to the US catalogue:

Insidious Chapter 2
    The Great Train Robbery
    The Last Days on Mars (opens in cinemas here Friday)
    Frankenstein's Army
    The Berlin File
    Bastards
    Contracted
    We Are What We Are (remake)
    Fright Night (original)
    V/H/S/2
    Scenic Route
    Jobs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,002 ✭✭✭Seedy Arling

I watched El Infierno on American Netflix last night. It's about a guy who is deported back to Mexico after twenty years in America only to find that everything has changed due to peoples involvement in the drugs business.

Darkly humerous, very funny but also very sad at the way human life is protrayed at being so disposable in Mexico.

I'd recommend it highly, the music is great, the characters are likeable and it's generally a good story.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

I watched El Infierno on American Netflix last night. It's about a guy who is deported back to Mexico after twenty years in America only to find that everything has changed due to peoples involvement in the drugs business.

Darkly humerous, very funny but also very sad at the way human life is protrayed at being so disposable in Mexico.

I'd recommend it highly, the music is great, the characters are likeable and it's generally a good story.

There's a good documentary about the drug problem in Mexico called Narco Cultura that you might like.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭s8n

I really enjoyed this - great movie

Dog Pound 2010

Its about a couple of lads and their struggle being locked up in a Canadian young offenders institution.

Not the most original story but still worth a look.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1422020/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

Started watching Suits last night. Really good. Loving Harvey's one liners :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,692 ✭✭✭Corvo

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Dog Pound 2010

Its about a couple of lads and their struggle being locked up in a Canadian young offenders institution.

Not the most original story but still worth a look.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1422020/

I really enjoyed that actually, thought it was very gritty.

Corvo wrote: »
    I really enjoyed that actually, thought it was very gritty.

Yeah it wasn't bad, I'm sure there be more unknown gems on netflix but its just matter of finding them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭deisedude

I got halfway through Drinking Buddies and was bored senseless and gave up

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

deisedude wrote: »
    I got halfway through Drinking Buddies and was bored senseless and gave up

Same even Olivia Wilde and Anna Kendrick couldnt save it for me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Watched Sins of my Father last night.

A well recommended doc about Pablo Escobar's son and his coming to terms with the actions of his father, and how it effects him to this day.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,052 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

[url=Rapture-palooza

A silly, sometimes crude comedy about the end of the world, and those left behind. I watched this because: a) Netflix recommended it based on my appreciation of Tucker & Dale vs Evil and Some Guy Who Kills People, and b) Anna Kendrick is generally pretty good.

It's a watch-once comedy perfect for those evenings where you want something easy to watch. A lot of the humour is quite crude, but done reasonably well - I couldn't help but laugh at the foul-mouthed crows who all reminded me of Yelling Bird from Questionable Content, and I also quite liked the pathetic low-rent version of Satan on display. It would have helped if there was more of a storyline going on, but I suspect that was due to budget constrains.

It's light, disposable fun - not as good as either of the other films I mentioned above, but worth a watch nonetheless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

As a result of an indirect recommendation from Fysh in previous post I watched Some Guy Who Kills People.

Fantastic film, not as laugh out loud as Tucker and Dale but so much heart and warmth in it. It's a feel good slasher film, Barry Bostwick is brilliant in it, very funny. Great these little films appear on this thread because it would have slipped by and I never would have seen it otherwise, and that would have been a shame.

Oh, and I thought the girl who played Amy was brilliant too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

"Blue is the warmest colour" was discussed a while back (I think). It's on the US Netflix.

It's a bit long at the three hour mark but well worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭CPSW

Probably recommended already, but watched Robot and Frank the other night, really enjoyed it. Frank Langella was excellent.

Also started House of Cards, so far so good, for those who haven't seen it yet!

Killing Season

John Travolta plays a Bosnian rebel that travels to America to seek revenge on a US veteran played by Robert De Neiro.

Best I've seen of DeNeiro for some time now and bar Travoltas silly Russian accent this movie was fairly watchable.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,262 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Frances Ha & John Dies at the End both added to the Irish site!!

A few interesting looking documentaries too: Village at the End of the World, Bukowski: Born Into This, Jesus Camp, American Promise, Fightville

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Status Offline

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Frances Ha & John Dies at the End both added to the Irish site!!

A few interesting looking documentaries too: Village at the End of the World, Bukowski: Born Into This, Jesus Camp, American Promise, Fightville

John Dies at The End is a real under rated gem. Hopefully he'll get around to doing the sequel as the first on does a great job of introducing you to a totally strange and ****ed up universe.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement