Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - Film Recommendations *READ FIRST POST*

Options

Comments

Separate threads for film & TV
    Just had a look on Netflix US and the following popped out at me.

Man of Vendetta
    Metallica Through the Never
    The Pervert's Guide to Ideology
    The Selfish Giant
    Weekender
    Ichi the Killer

There's also a slew of Godzilla and James Bond films on there but I imagine that like last time they'll disappear next month

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,677 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I see Mr Nobody with Jared Leto is now on US Netflix. A sprawling, ambitious sci-fi epic in the vein of Cloud Atlas, The Fountain, etc. Like Cloud Atlas, its reach wildly exceeds its grasp but brilliantly so. It’s a mess to be sure but essential viewing for fans of high concept sci-fi.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Just had a look on Netflix US and the following popped out at me.

Man of Vendetta
    Metallica Through the Never
    The Pervert's Guide to Ideology
    The Selfish Giant
    Weekender
    Ichi the Killer

There's also a slew of Godzilla and James Bond films on there but I imagine that like last time they'll disappear next month

Cheers been looking to watch The Selfish Giant for a while.

Edit - Can't turn off subtitles which makes the film unwatchable

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

splinters has been added to the uk and irish netflix, superb doc about surfing in papua new guniea and the tribal way of life

Start of the month so there's a huge update to the US Netflix. The following all popped up when I was browsing through it earlier

1-Ichi (prequel to Ichi the Killer)
    100 Bloody Acres (the Australian Tucker and Dale vs. Evil)
    6 Bullets (Generic post pub Van Damme fare)
    The Incredible Melting Man
    Maximum Overdrive (Stephen King trash of the best kind)
    Mr. Smith Goes to Washington
    The Outlaw (Woo-seong Kam starring revenge thriller)
    Anatomy of a Murder (Otto Preminger legal drama)
    Beware of Mr. Baker (Doc about the horrible Ginger Baker)
    The Big Chill
    The Odessa File
    Oslo, August 31st
    The City of Lost Children (Jean-Pierre Jeunet and Marc Caro sci-fi)
    Encounters at the End of the World (Werner Herzog documentary)
    Gladiator
    Kill Bill Vol. 1&2
    Legend of the Drunken Master

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

John Dies at The End is a real under rated gem. Hopefully he'll get around to doing the sequel

Did he not die at the end then?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

^ Oslo, August 31st is an incredible film.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Pinkman

Was just about to put the second season of The Good Wife on the Irish Netflix only to find that only Season 1 is available, despite four seasons being there last week. Tried the Canadian version as I know it had three or four seasons and the same issue there with only season 1 available. And strangly on my Netflix app on my Samsung TV it has season 1 only when I click on it but there is a seperate cover art for season 2 but no episodes are listed, just a general summary of the plot in S2 - when I clock on it it claims it is not available to stream. All very odd. Other shows appear to be working fine.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,262 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

City of Lost Children a film I've been meaning to watch since it's release and have never gotten around to it. Finally!! :D

Odd Thomas was added to the US catalogue last week. It's one of those films that was intended to be a big summer release but studio interference saw it being dumped directly to DVD in Eastern European countries last year followed by a direct to DVD release in the US in March. It's well worth a watch if you're looking for something a little bright and breezy that isn't afraid to go a little dark when needs be.

• Advertisement

Pinkman wrote: »
    Was just about to put the second season of The Good Wife on the Irish Netflix only to find that only Season 1 is available, despite four seasons being there last week. Tried the Canadian version as I know it had three or four seasons and the same issue there with only season 1 available. And strangly on my Netflix app on my Samsung TV it has season 1 only when I click on it but there is a seperate cover art for season 2 but no episodes are listed, just a general summary of the plot in S2 - when I clock on it it claims it is not available to stream. All very odd. Other shows appear to be working fine.

They put this on twitter about 40 minutes ago.... "Don't worry, your show isn't gone! Some members are having trouble accessing certain content. Our engineers are working to resolve the issue"

Maybe that's what's up with yours?

p.s. How do you know when new stuff has been added? Sometimes when I log on there's a section that says "Recently Added" but other times I log on it's not there.

The Ultimate Weapon is now on the US Netflix - remarkable piece of film making which sees acting giant Hulk Hogan take on the IRA. Truly essential viewing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

UK House of Cards on my Netflix this eve- was it there before?

They put this on twitter about 40 minutes ago.... "Don't worry, your show isn't gone! Some members are having trouble accessing certain content. Our engineers are working to resolve the issue"

Maybe that's what's up with yours?

p.s. How do you know when new stuff has been added? Sometimes when I log on there's a section that says "Recently Added" but other times I log on it's not there.

Cheers - just checked there and it has all been sorted now - all four seasons back.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 60,596 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

If you google whats new on Netflix. There are a couple of websites and blogs that update all the regions daily. I can't link one at the moment. Will try to add one later.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,262 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

This one for Ireland/UK: http://www.flixfilm.co.uk/

This one for foreign regions: http://netflixswedencompletelist.blogspot.com/ (click the flags at the top to change regions)

It takes a little while to update though.

http://instantwatcher.com/ is also good but only does the US site

www.moreflicks.com is good if you're looking for a particular film/show and want to see if any regions have it.

Just spotted Newcastle on Irish one. Not sure how long it's been up but I don't remember seeing it before.

It's an Australian surf film. It's not the best script or acting wise, not terrible, but there's some brilliant surfing sequences in it and some really great underwater shots too.

Just spotted Newcastle on Irish one. Not sure how long it's been up but I don't remember seeing it before.

It's an Australian surf film. It's not the best script or acting wise, not terrible, but there's some brilliant surfing sequences in it and some really great underwater shots too.

If you like surf related stuff watch Surfwise, it's not really about surfing but it's a great documentary. Pretty sure it's on the Irish site.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭cookiecakes

Cheers been looking to watch The Selfish Giant for a while.

Edit - Can't turn off subtitles which makes the film unwatchable

Don't know if you're using unblock-us or not but they recently added an option to turn hard subtitles off! It's just under the region selector on the website.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

efb wrote: »
    UK House of Cards on my Netflix this eve- was it there before?
    Irish Netflix? Yeah, it's been there for a while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

I was having a butchers at the Danish Netflix last week & was quite surprised at the amount of recent films that were on it that aren't on the US or Irish one. Here are a few films on the Danish site from 2013;

Cloud Atlas
    Hangover 3
    Jack & the Giant Slayer
    Frozen Ground
    Man of Steel

Da Vinci's Demons season 1 is on Netflix Argentina

Edit; Vikings season 1 is up as well.

krudler wrote: »
    Give it a chance I say, it looks gorgeous, it's got a great score and the climax is brilliant. Just tired of Depp's shtick now.

You weren't wrong, I enjoyed the hell out of that. Found Depp quite funny in it actually, thought there was really good chemistry between him and Hammer and I really hope this hasn't sunk Hammer's career because I thought he was a good leading man in this. It was tonally all over the place sure but it really really did look gorgeous and the set pieces were brilliant and there was some nice references to a few classic westerns scattered through out. Won't lie, I got goosebumps when the theme kicked in :D

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Mickeroo wrote: »
    You weren't wrong, I enjoyed the hell out of that. Found Depp quite funny in it actually, thought there was really good chemistry between him and Hammer and I really hope this hasn't sunk Hammer's career because I thought he was a good leading man in this. It was tonally all over the place sure but it really really did look gorgeous and the set pieces were brilliant and there was some nice references to a few classic westerns scattered through out. Won't lie, I got goosebumps when the theme kicked in :D

Yeah the tone was really uneven, it goes from slapstick action with really over the top action beats to cannibalism and murder. I liked Hammer in it too his turn from socially awkward lawyer to the Ranger was pretty believable. Could have done with HBC's fairly pointless character too, the climax totally saves it though.

Alan Partridge: Alpha Papa is up in Canada

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

God, the crimes against aspect ratios on Netflix are driving me absolutely nuts recently. I just sat down to watch The Seven Year Itch. The Saul Bass titles played in proper original CinemaScope ratio. But then the film itself started, and it was presented in a horrid 16:9 stretched ratio. Had to turn it off in disgust :(

I know Netflix only put up what they're given so they're only partially to blame for these crimes against cinematography, but it's turning me right off even considering watching classic films on there as it's happened a few too many times at this point. It's only reminding me that proper Blu-Ray versions are more vital then they've ever been.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,190 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Scary movie 5 is up on Netflix Denmark http://movies.netflixable.com/216761

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

I'm on American Netflix and a lot of the documentaries won't play - just get a message saying

"This title is not available in your current region (). Please select a different title."

Anybody else come across this?

EDIT: it's doing it across all genres actually, seemingly on US shows

• Registered Users Posts: 28,190 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I've been using a mix films/shows of US, Canada, Irish Netflix all day with no bother on the xbox. I restart when switching regions.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

Scary movie 5 is up on Netflix Denmark http://movies.netflixable.com/216761

And there it can stay :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement