Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - Film Recommendations *READ FIRST POST*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Separate threads for film & TV
    God, the crimes against aspect ratios on Netflix are driving me absolutely nuts recently. I just sat down to watch The Seven Year Itch. The Saul Bass titles played in proper original CinemaScope ratio. But then the film itself started, and it was presented in a horrid 16:9 stretched ratio. Had to turn it off in disgust :(

I know Netflix only put up what they're given so they're only partially to blame for these crimes against cinematography, but it's turning me right off even considering watching classic films on there as it's happened a few too many times at this point. It's only reminding me that proper Blu-Ray versions are more vital then they've ever been.
    Might be the settings on your media player.
    Make sure you check the settings on your player, I got a Sony Blu Ray player recently and it stretched a 4:3 program to 16:9. Went to the settings and changed it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Alan Partridge: Alpha Papa is up in Canada

Jurassic park!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

IvaBigWun wrote: »
    And there it can stay :)

Along with alpha papa. And Steve coogan

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

Along with alpha papa. And Steve coogan

A good film let down by that always tricky Comedy trick; a strong third act

• Registered Users Posts: 28,190 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Is homelands season 3 or the V season 2 on any countries netflix?

Rectify is worth a watch on netflix canada, only 6 episodes in the first season, first episode is very good. Season 2 is being aired in June not sure when it'll hit netflix.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,052 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Not according to moreflicks.com. Looks like iTunes is the only option for either of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

Does anywhere have Django Unchained?
    I missed it in the cinema and itunes only let you buy it for some reason. Really struggling to find a legal way to watch this.

The Wolf of Wall Street is on the Mexican netflix!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,692 ✭✭✭Corvo

The Wolf of Wall Street is on the Mexican netflix!

*climbs up on roof*

YESSSSSSSSSSSSS!

• Registered Users Posts: 60,596 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Blue Jasmine is up on Canada.

Big update on Canada with Veronica Mars, The Fresh Prince of Bel-air,The West Wing and Batman: The Animated Series(1992) tv series all added today as well.

• Advertisement

Rectify is worth a watch on netflix canada, only 6 episodes in the first season, first episode is very good. Season 2 is being aired in June not sure when it'll hit netflix.

The two seasons of the remake of V are on Canada.

Homeland season 3 won't be up on any of them for another few months. You might find it on Hulu plus

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Blue Jasmine is up on Canada.

Big update on Canada with Veronica Mars, The Fresh Prince of Bel-air,The West Wing and Batman: The Animated Series(1992) tv series all added today as well.

YES!

I hope they get a bunch of the 90's WB animated stuff, Animaniacs, Freakazoid etc.

Top Secret! is on the US one now, one of the most underrated spoof movies (remember when they were good?) ever made, hilarious stuff.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

Scrubs is here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭vidor

krudler wrote: »
    Top Secret! is on the US one now, one of the most underrated spoof movies (remember when they were good?) ever made, hilarious stuff.

Been meaning to check that one out forever. Loved The Naked Gun series growing up but haven't watched them in years, so good old nostalgia is probably having an effect. Airplane!, on the other hand, hasn't aged well at all, mediocre at best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

Batman: The Animated Series(1992) tv series all added today as well.

Yaaaaaaaahhhhooooooo!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

Not sure if its been recommended before, but trailer park boys is now available, all 7 seasons, with 2 more seasons coming out.

It is by far the funniest show I've seen in a long time. It takes a season of two to get the humour I thought, but once I was in the middle of season 2 I was hooked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭ryan101

Is there a good website for recommendations/reviews/popularity on the Irish / UK netflix ?

I enjoyed The Killing and House of Cards, any other good series like that on Irish netflix ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

ryan101 wrote: »
    Is there a good website for recommendations/reviews/popularity on the Irish / UK netflix ?

I enjoyed The Killing and House of Cards, any other good series like that on Irish netflix ?

'Brotherhood' is 3 seasons of great TV.

Focuses on the Irish mob and politicians. Gritty as hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

vidor wrote: »
    Been meaning to check that one out forever. Loved The Naked Gun series growing up but haven't watched them in years, so good old nostalgia is probably having an effect. Airplane!, on the other hand, hasn't aged well at all, mediocre at best.

Top Secret is hilarious, it's aged as well but has some brilliant visual gags in it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Not really a recommendation but

Price gone up to €8.99, that's up twice now in a short period of time.

Do you think we will see some new content in the near future?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

0ph0rce0 wrote: »

isn't that just for new subscribers ?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

0ph0rce0 wrote: »

Thats new subs only for the foreseeable future.

Edit: Also just checked my sub and its still €6.99

Edit Edit: Looking on Netflix and new subs are currently €7.99

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

adox wrote: »
    Thats new subs only for the foreseeable future.

Edit: Also just checked my sub and its still €6.99

Edit Edit: Looking on Netflix and new subs are currently €7.99

i seem to remember getting an email from neflix saying my subscriptio fee will be untouched for 2 years but they were increasing the fee for new subscribers

• Registered Users Posts: 12,003 ✭✭✭✭titan18

peteeeed wrote: »
    i seem to remember getting an email from neflix saying my subscriptio fee will be untouched for 2 years but they were increasing the fee for new subscribers

Wasn't it only increased from 6.99 to 7.99 recently though, bit odd to up it again by another euro so quickly.

Joss Whedon's Much Ado About Nothing is now on the US Netflix.

Temaz wrote: »
    'Brotherhood' is 3 seasons of great TV.

Focuses on the Irish mob and politicians. Gritty as hell.

Cheers, does anyone have any other good recommendations for series on the Irish netflix, apart from House of Cards and The Killing.

Any of the science fiction serials on there any good ?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,262 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Cheers, does anyone have any other good recommendations for series on the Irish netflix, apart from House of Cards and The Killing.

Farscape and Battlstar Galactica are great.

Also recommend Spiral and The Bridge, two decent crime series.

Continuum, Person of Interst, Grimm, Fringe, Lie to me, Suits, Chuck, Reaper, Justifed.

Theres a few to keep you going :D

Magic, thanks folks ! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭SteM

titan18 wrote: »
    Wasn't it only increased from 6.99 to 7.99 recently though, bit odd to up it again by another euro so quickly.

It was. The increase allows users to stream to multiple devices at a time IIRC. Handy if you have kids watching stuff upstairs while you look at stuff downstairs I suppose. Also, Netliix have signed some huge deals over the last 12-24 months. Signed deals with Disney, Dreamworks and also with Marvel for some live action shows (Daredevil etc). They're also committed to making more original programming so I can kind of understand the increase.

I'm still paying €6.99 but if the price is over €10 by the time the 2 year price freeze is up then I'll reconsider my subscription.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement