Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - Film Recommendations *READ FIRST POST*

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

Roquentin wrote: »
    orange is the new black is unreal

Dont get the massive love for this show at all and I gave it a good go for 7 episodes

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

IvaBigWun wrote: »
    Dont get the massive love for this show at all and I gave it a good go for 7 episodes

Its funny:)

Roquentin wrote: »
    Its funny:)

Its wildly over-rated ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

IvaBigWun wrote: »

I couldn't really see the attraction either, watched whole of first series but won't bother with 2nd. Think we are definitely in the minority though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭taytobreath

dunno if its been mentioned but 'pain and gain' is on usa netflix.
    Michael Bay's comedic action flick tells the true story of Daniel Lugo and Adrian Doorbal, two Miami muscle heads who become major-league criminals

i thought it was brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

Losers Take All (US Netflix)

This is worth checking out, particularly if you're a fan of films like Empire Records or The Fabulous Stains (similar narrative to the later anyway...) or bands like Minutemen and Husker Du and generally American underground music of that time.

It's not a perfect movie, but it's got a certain charm that sucked me in.
    Warper wrote: »
    Watched Office Space for the first time last night, cant believe i never seen it, good flick

"Mr Samir Naga... Naga... not gonna work here anymore, anyway. "

....that line kills me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Warper wrote: »
    Watched Office Space for the first time last night, cant believe i never seen it, good flick

• Registered Users Posts: 28,190 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I'm only 4 episodes into Lilyhammer but I'm enjoying it, it's on netflix ca but probably on more. Haven't read any reviews but I like it in a kind of scarface meets father Ted kind of way.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Status Offline

I'm only 4 episodes into Lilyhammer but I'm enjoying it, it's on netflix ca but probably on more. Haven't read any reviews but I like it in a kind of scarface meets father Ted kind of way.

I think it's on pretty much all regions as it's a Netflix Original. It's a great show. Funny and light heartened. It really settles into itsself in Season 2. Not sure but I think they're shooting season 3 at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

smokedeels wrote: »
    L
    "Mr Samir Naga... Naga... not gonna work here anymore, anyway. "

....that line kills me.

Office Space should be compulsory viewing for anyone who works in an office environment

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

krudler wrote: »
    Office Space should be compulsory viewing for anyone who works in an office environment

True dat!

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭markfla

Office space is great. Another great Mike Judge movie is on there called Extract...the gardener is hilarious in it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Separate threads for film & TV
    markfla wrote: »
    Office space is great. Another great Mike Judge movie is on there called Extract...the gardener is hilarious in it

Watched office space last night and netflix recommended extract. Extract wasn't near as good as Office space but still very funny.

Watched The Intouchables as well last night I think it's called The Untouchables alsol. Brilliant film, really enjoyed it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Separate threads for film & TV
    krudler wrote: »

mmmmmmmmm yeah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

Finally got around to watching "There Will be blood" - quite a slow moving film but still very enjoyable. Danny Day was brilliant... "I DRINK YOUR MILKSHAKE!" I'll definitely be using that one at the first opportunity :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Watched Insomnia last night. Think it was the only Christoper Nolan film that I'd never seen, my favourite being The Prestige.
    Was really good. Pretty gripping throughout and for some reason I kept on expecting some twist to explain some character not actually existing and he was daydreaming due to lack of sleep etc. It kind of distracted me while watching it but looking back it made the outcome at the end more satisfying.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭vidor

Some new ones on Netflix US:

Like Someone in Love
    Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2
    Frozen Ground
    Is the Man Who Is Tall Happy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭ryan101

Finally got around to watching "There Will be blood" - quite a slow moving film but still very enjoyable. Danny Day was brilliant... "I DRINK YOUR MILKSHAKE!" I'll definitely be using that one at the first opportunity :D

The storyline for that film was excellent for the first half hour, after that it was crap. Daniel Day does manage to carry the whole film though with his amazing performance throughout.

No issue with you not liking the film but I don't see how you can find the first 30mins excellent and find the next two hours the complete opposite. It's not like there was a massive shift (dodgy example but I'm thinking along the lines of Wall-E).

vidor wrote: »
    No issue with you not liking the film but I don't see how you can find the first 30mins excellent and find the next two hours the complete opposite. It's not like there was a massive shift (dodgy example but I'm thinking along the lines of Wall-E).

I didn't say I did not like the film, but the initially excellent and insightful storyline ran out after 30 minutes, and just got dragged along for the rest. Daniel Day's outstanding performance masked it.

• Advertisement

I don't see how finding 80% of the film crap anything but not liking it.

vidor wrote: »
    I don't see how finding 80% of the film crap anything but not liking it.

Why do you insist on misquoting me ? I said the storyline was crap after the first 30 minutes not the film, I liked the film. Can you tell the difference between the various components that go up to make a film ? From the script, to the directing, to the acting performances.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

There will be blood was interesting, but a bit drawn out.

I remember quite a few people using it 7 years ago when the film was out, you might get a few funny looks these days ;)

Watched Insomnia last night. Think it was the only Christoper Nolan film that I'd never seen, my favourite being The Prestige.
    Was really good. Pretty gripping throughout and for some reason I kept on expecting some twist to explain some character not actually existing and he was daydreaming due to lack of sleep etc. It kind of distracted me while watching it but looking back it made the outcome at the end more satisfying.

A great film, the score in particular and its one of Pacino's finest hours.

The bit where he's kneeling beside his
    dying partner and the look in his eyes is particularly haunting.

After a good few views of this film over the years Im going to go with
    he DID shoot him on purpose but it was spur of the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Watched The Hunter earlier.

Very good, kept me hooked for the whole 100 minute runtime.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Watched all 6 episodes of Rectify (only on US i think) today and thought it was VERY good. It's a slow burner, definitely, but it's pretty gripping throughout.
    Can be a bit heavy on the religion but that's to be expected when they make a TV show about a guy getting let out of prison after 20 yrs on death row for a murder he admitted to. He's bound to turn to it....
    Second season is starting soon I believe too.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Bozo Skeleton

Possibly been posted before, but I only just watched it. The excellent Searching For Sugar Man is on Canadian Netflix.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

Possibly been posted before, but I only just watched it. The excellent Searching For Sugar Man is on Canadian Netflix.

Ageed. Pretty sad that the guy who directed it died recently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Bozo Skeleton

Mezcita wrote: »
    Ageed. Pretty sad that the guy who directed it died recently.

Yeah, I only found out tonight when I mentioned to someone that I'd just watched it. Sad indeed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement