Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - Film Recommendations *READ FIRST POST*

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,261 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Separate threads for film & TV
    Joss Whedon's Much Ado About Nothing, Computer Chess and Jeff Who Lives at Home are on the Irish site now.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭vidor

Jeff, Who Lives at Home is great. Saw it a couple of times but would happily throw it on again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

Office Space is very funny. For yous who hate yer jobs

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Watched all 6 episodes of Rectify (only on US i think) today and thought it was VERY good. It's a slow burner, definitely, but it's pretty gripping throughout.
    Can be a bit heavy on the religion but that's to be expected when they make a TV show about a guy getting let out of prison after 20 yrs on death row for a murder he admitted to. He's bound to turn to it....
    Second season is starting soon I believe too.

Brilliant show, highly recommended, second season starting in June, I believe the Sundance channel, in which this airs, has a deal with Netflix so episodes should be up fairly quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭taytobreath

instructions not included

excellent film, but its in Spanish

A man who has made a new life for himself and the daughter left on his doorstep 6 years ago finds his family threatened when the birth mother resurfaces.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Netflix down for anyone tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭deisedude

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Netflix down for anyone tonight?

Just now it stopped working for me

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭mr bungle.

deisedude wrote: »
    Just now it stopped working for me

Down for me last night also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Working for me

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,261 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Making my way through Farscape at the moment. Always used to enjoy it when it was on TV but never saw it in its entirety or in proper sequence so only have vague memories of the main plot and that.

After the first few episodes I was beginning to think my memories were misplaced and it would be confined to nothing more than a bit of nostalgia that I've grown out of, glad to say that after episode 8 or 9 the storylines and characterisation have improved greatly and its every bit the show I remember. Really loving it now, up there with the best.

Oh and dat theme tune.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

vidor wrote: »
    Jeff, Who Lives at Home is great. Saw it a couple of times but would happily throw it on again.

Thank you! I recommended it to a few people and they hated it.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,052 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I caught The Corridor on US Netflix over the weekend, and thought it was pretty good. I tend to prefer psychological horror to all-out gorefests or jump-scare stuff, and this delivered exactly the sort of thing I tend to enjoy, with a group of friends reuniting after years apart. The tension initially stems from one of the characters having a mental illness (which had previously caused a psychotic break seen at the start of the film) and wariness on the part of the others as to how well he is coping with his treatment - but as the film progresses the tension migrates to the various problems each character is grappling with in their personal lives; then they discover a phenomenon that changes how they interact in ways that they don't quite understand - but it also starts to change them...

If it has a fault, it's that it's a little too similar to Yellowbrickroad (with that being the better film, though not by much). Still worth a watch if you like your psychological horror, though.

nocoverart wrote: »
    Thank you! I recommended it to a few people and they hated it.

Sweet!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

Only God Forgives popped up on the Irish Netflix.....although I heard it's terrible.

Dman001 wrote: »
    Only God Forgives popped up on the Irish Netflix.....although I heard it's terrible.

Will check it out. 38% on RT but after drive hes worth a shot.

Anyone seen sling blade? being meaning to watch it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Roquentin wrote: »
    Anyone seen sling blade? being meaning to watch it

Watched it a couple of years ago on Netlfix when it first came out here, well worth a watch, fine performance from Billy Bob and the young lad as well. Must give it another watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Will check it out. 38% on RT but after drive hes worth a shot.
    Great film, very underrated.

I've given up looking at the scores on IMDB/RT/etc. I'll see who's directing it, who wrote the script, cinematographer, all that stuff. Ratings are just meaningless unless they're your own ratings.

I gave Only God Forgives 8/10.

Give it time and it'll be looked back on as a true cult classic. It's dark, funny, surreal and tense with a great atmosphere and a really rich, pulpy subtext. Credit to Refn too for not just casting Gosling as the silent hero again, very brave decision to make his character weak, impotent and deeply troubled.

A little ridiculous with its symbolism at times and erring on the side of camp but it's a really fun, visually impressive and memorable film. Even the people who hate it seem to do so passionately which is a good thing I guess. It's one of those rare cases where its flaws are what makes it stand out as a very unique watch.

• Advertisement

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    Watched it a couple of years ago on Netlfix when it first came out here, well worth a watch, fine performance from Billy Bob and the young lad as well. Must give it another watch.

Billy bob is always great. Supposed to be class in fargo as well. Hopefully netflix will get that series soon.

vidor wrote: »
    I've given up looking at the scores on IMDB/RT/etc. I'll see who's directing it, who wrote the script, cinematographer, all that stuff. Ratings are just meaningless unless they're your own ratings.

I gave Only God Forgives 8/10.

I agree. But use it as a gauge. Maybe a director like ridley scott makes The councelor. Normally i would watch a scott regardless, but decided it wasnt worth it. (Unless someone says otherwise).

Other times i may not have heard of the director or it might be his first film and use it as well then.

Will check out only god forgives anyhow.

Is The Counselor any good as well?

Billy bob is always great. Supposed to be class in fargo as well. Hopefully netflix will get that series soon.

Fargo is on the Netherlands Netflix, new episode added every week. Great show.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

No discussion of regional workarounds, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Watched Bonded By Blood last night (Irish 'flix) and would say it's well worth a watch. Doesn't set the world alight but if ya like your British gangsta flicks this will pass a wet Wednesday evening for ya.

Tamer Hassan is very good in it, Vincent Regan is pretty disappointing in that his character starts off looking like he's going to be very interesting... but turns out very, very uninteresting!

I'll give it 6.8 out of 10 :D

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1540400/?ref_=nv_sr_1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Yeti Beast

Anyone else having problems with Netflix? I'm getting a 503 error.

Edit; never mind - it just loaded now.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,845 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Watched City of God, really enjoyed it. Reminded me of Boyz 'n the hood

Dair. wrote: »
    Anyone else having problems with Netflix? I'm getting a 503 error.

Edit; never mind - it just loaded now.

my one shut off, but back on now. The internet shut off that is

e_e wrote: »
    Give it time and it'll be looked back on as a true cult classic. It's dark, funny, surreal and tense with a great atmosphere and a really rich, pulpy subtext. Credit to Refn too for not just casting Gosling as the silent hero again, very brave decision to make his character weak, impotent and deeply troubled.

A little ridiculous with its symbolism at times and erring on the side of camp but it's a really fun, visually impressive and memorable film. Even the people who hate it seem to do so passionately which is a good thing I guess. It's one of those rare cases where its flaws are what makes it stand out as a very unique watch.

Yea ive watched half of it now. Have to go to bed so will watch the second half tommoro.

Very good atmosphere and cinematography. Immense actually. The music is haunting as well and complements the atmosphere.

I can understand why people think it is slow but i really enjoy it so far. It is different from the textbook asian films like The Killer, which are all guns and chat. This is more slow and rather suggestive in its direction.

Like you say its heavy on the surrealism and cinematic sort of tricks, which can be frustrating.

Its kind of like merging taxi driver with maybe a kubrick film, like A Clockwork orange in that you get the loner like Travis Bickle and the surrealistic, lack of dialogue scenes that kubrick perfected.

Actually its very similar in style to corbijns The American come to think of it. Will finish it tommoro

• Advertisement

Enjoy! Has one of my favorite endings this decade too. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement