Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - Film Recommendations *READ FIRST POST*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭SweetChaos

Netflix Sweden has the starz tv show Spartacus , I have been wanting to see this show for a while that's me sorted for a while

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Just watched Cropsey again tonight on US Netflix, a real gem of a doc that blends urban legend with a true crime story and tries to uncover the truth, well worth a watch, really creepy and not one to watch on your own if you're easily scared.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,261 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Separate threads for film & TV
    What Maisie Knew added to the Irish site.

Also, Laviathan is on the USA site now too, quite a few were singing it's praises on here.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Is there two films called Leviathan? One about a boat.. maybe, and one that was shown at Cannes just recently?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,261 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Is there two films called Leviathan? One about a boat.. maybe, and one that was shown at Cannes just recently?

So it would appear, the one on Netflix is the documentary about the fishing boat. I hadn't heard of the other one.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Yeah, Leviathan (2014) was a Russian film that screened at Cannes this year!

The fishing documentary of the same name is fantastic - as raw and hypnotic as experimental cinema gets. Very much a big screen film though, can imagine it losing something on TVs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Yeti Beast

So nothing to do with the god-awful Peter Weller deep sea sci-fi flick? Good.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

e_e wrote: »
    Enjoy! Has one of my favorite endings this decade too. :)

Very good film. A a few years it will gradually gain approval. My standard is pretty high when it comes to film and this gave me a good high.

It goes against conventional perceptions, in that when i think of a film in thailand, i think of sex, music, noise, people, drugs....

Its sort of like once upon a time in the west set in asia, instead of guns you have samourai swords.

Its the pace that catches people out and the fact that it differs in tone/atmosphere to drive.

Is there any other films that get low ratings that are pretty good do you know? Whats R Scotts the Counselor like as well?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

I kinda liked The Counselor, nowhere near as much as Only God Forgives but I found the constant plot digressions interesting and the cast are fun to watch. Not a completely successful film but I definitely enjoyed it a lot more than some films with far higher ratings.

Post Tenebras Lux is another bat**** crazy and divisive film that I loved (on the US Netflix last time I checked). Be warned though it makes even Only God Forgives look like Driving Miss Daisy in terms of lack of conventional plot and having weird, dark and perverse content. It's the kind of film that baffles you while watching and then a few days later you come to realize that it was actually kind of brilliant.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

e_e wrote: »
    I kinda liked The Counselor, nowhere near as much as Only God Forgives but I found the constant plot digressions interesting and the cast are fun to watch. Not a completely successful film but I definitely enjoyed it a lot more than some films with far higher ratings.

Post Tenebras Lux is another bat**** crazy and divisive film that I loved (on the US Netflix last time I checked). Be warned though it makes even Only God Forgives look like Driving Miss Daisy in terms of lack of conventional plot and having weird, dark and perverse content. It's the kind of film that baffles you while watching and then a few days later you come to realize that it was actually kind of brilliant.

Il give the councellor a crack. Ridley scott is a good man for films.

Will check out that other film as well. Hopefully its not too ****ed up like Oldboy was. That was just weird and too much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Short Term 12 is now up on US Netflix, it went quietly under the radar last year which amazes me because it was easily one of the best films of 2013. Basically is focuses on a group home called short term 12, the kids and most specifically one of their carer's, play by Brie Larson in a fantastic turn.

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭gingernut79

Just found Dead poets society on Norwegian netflix as a new arrival!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ape Lincoln

Looking for any random film recommendation. Only caveat is I don't like comedy and (at this moment) have a low tolerance of cliché action etc. Anything interesting worth checking out? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Looking for any random film recommendation. Only caveat is I don't like comedy and (at this moment) have a low tolerance of cliché action etc. Anything interesting worth checking out? :)

If you can get the US Netflix, check out Europa report. Watched it last night and thought it was very good. Sci fi with the emphasis on science.

If you can get the US Netflix, check out Europa report. Watched it last night and thought it was very good. Sci fi with the emphasis on science.

Thanks, much appreciated. Have it loaded up now so am going to give it a watch. Am in the mood for something like this.

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    Just watched Cropsey again tonight on US Netflix, a real gem of a doc that blends urban legend with a true crime story and tries to uncover the truth, well worth a watch, really creepy and not one to watch on your own if you're easily scared.

It must be just me but I wasn't too high on this. It's alright and as disturbing as you would expect but didn't find it all that enticing.

Loved all 4 seasons of community on the Canadian netflix.

Wonder how long untill season 5 is added :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Does anybody know when/if The Bridge S2 is coming to Netflix?

nocoverart wrote: »
    Does anybody know when/if The Bridge S2 is coming to Netflix?

Not sure mate. This site says it is debuting stateside on July 9 http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2014/05/16/fx-fxx-set-summer-premiere-dated-for-tyrant-the-strain-the-bridge-more/265205/

I am still waiting for series three of Forbrydelsen/The Killing :(

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭tallaghtfornia

Hi All,

Any recommendations for tonight please ? :o

Good Scifi or Horror

• Advertisement

Hi All,

Any recommendations for tonight please ? :o

Good Scifi or Horror

Cube and Primer are the two I usually recommend when people ask this. Cube ain't on Irish Netflix though.

Try Below. David Twohy made it and he made Pitch Black. Horror type film in a WWII submarine.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭tallaghtfornia

Cube and Primer are the two I usually recommend when people ask this. Cube ain't on Irish Netflix though.

Try Below. David Twohy made it and he made Pitch Black. Horror type film in a WWII submarine.

Thanks Ape might give that Pitch Black a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Not sure mate. This site says it is debuting stateside on July 9 http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2014/05/16/fx-fxx-set-summer-premiere-dated-for-tyrant-the-strain-the-bridge-more/265205/

Cheers!

Yeah, the third season of the remake (The Killing) is on Irish/UK Netflix but I believe that is a bit muck. I should start watching the original sometime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

I have it downloaded for the last couple of months but I keep putting off watching because I know that's the last series and I want to save it!

Might just start watching it tomorrow, Sarah Lund is such a great character.

Was it shown on BBC? I was hoping to catch it on their player but to no avail. Can never find a suitable download with subs that work on my TV.

The US Killing remake is alright but not great, kinda average. Just finished it recently. I thought it would be shorter than Forbrydelsen but at 26 episodes it is longer than the first series - US Killing spreads the murdered girl in a car boot story over two series.

Loved Sarah Lund too. She has a cameo in S2 of The Killing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Was it shown on BBC? I was hoping to catch it on their player but to no avail. Can never find a suitable download with subs that work on my TV.

The US Killing remake is alright but not great, kinda average. Just finished it recently. I thought it would be shorter than Forbrydelsen but at 26 episodes it is longer than the first series - US Killing spreads the murdered girl in a car boot story over two series.

Loved Sarah Lund too. She has a cameo in S2 of The Killing.

It was on BBC4 couple of years ago, according to wiki anyway. I have it on avi files I watch through my ps3. Hardcoded subs.

Back on topic:
    Kids and I watched Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2 on US Netflix, they enjoyed it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Enjoying Orange is the New Black.

Didn't expect I would like it as much as I do, season 2 starts in a few days too.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭metroburgers

US Netflix

Short Term 12 (rt:99%)

I am not a Hipster (rt:60%) same director as above

Dear Zachary: A Letter to a Son About His Father (rt:94%)

• Registered Users Posts: 60,595 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Dear Zachary: A Letter to a Son About His Father is an amazing documentary!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,887 ✭✭✭deisedude

Any good comedy film recommendations across any of the regions?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement