Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - Film Recommendations *READ FIRST POST*

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Boss is on the US site, the opening episode is a very strong beginning and I'm really looking forward to the rest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Separate threads for film & TV
    Derek season 2 is on US Netflix, not as good as the first after 2 episodes but still good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

Just finished the first 2 seasons of Sherlock, really loved it. Only 3 episodes per season but they're about an hour and a half each so plenty to watch. Cumberbatch is brilliant as Sherlock as is Martin Freeman as Dr. Watson. Would definitely recommend.

The Last Gladiators: Documentary focusing on the tough guys who play the enforcer role in Pro Ice hockey teams - had interviews with a lot of the most famous "enforcers" and gave some great insight into these interesting guys and how it was often with reluctance that they took on this role within the team

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭metroburgers

If you can get the US Netflix, check out Europa report. Watched it last night and thought it was very good. Sci fi with the emphasis on science.

Wow this was terrible, acting/plot, halfbaked turd of a film. Poor sci-fi imo, but just my two cents.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Boss is on the US site, the opening episode is a very strong beginning and I'm really looking forward to the rest.
    One of the best TV shows that was never let run it's course.

Both the new Star Trek films are on Netflix.

The first one is on the UK one so I presume it's also on the Irish one (haven't checked) and the second one is on Mexico Netflix.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    Just watched Cropsey again tonight on US Netflix, a real gem of a doc that blends urban legend with a true crime story and tries to uncover the truth, well worth a watch, really creepy and not one to watch on your own if you're easily scared.

Jesus i hated this film, cant believe anybody would ever give it a second viewing. I cant believe it's relative popularity. It looks like it was shot in the 90's, anytime there's a "spooky" or "tense" scene this stupid, cheesy, sinister music comes on. The voicovers are annoying and it goes nowhere except around in circles, i honestly felt like i was watching this for 3 hours.

I was looking forward to watching this after seeing the misleading trailer, obviously i was fairly dissapointed. Just thinking about this film pisses me off.

A star rating you ask? Yes i give this piece of sh1t film a big brown star.

No offense OP :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ape Lincoln

Watch Capturing the Friedmans if you want a creepy documentary with a whodunnit-type of story*. Not sure if it's on any Netflix though.

mild spoiler/synopsis
    *it follows child abuse allegations against a school teacher

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭CPSW

If anyone is a football fan, I would recommend a documentary called "The Four Year Plan".

It's about the takeover of Queens Park Rangers in 2007 by the consortium headed up by Formula 1 billionaires Flavio Briatore and Bernie Ecclestone (who want a return on their investment straight away, by the number of managers they go through, and have desires on picking the team themselves), with the aim of having them in the premier league within four years.

Well worth a view, gives a good insight into behind the scenes of a then second tier English club and how it can go right and wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

CPSW wrote: »
    If anyone is a football fan, I would recommend a documentary called "The Four Year Plan".

It's about the takeover of Queens Park Rangers in 2007 by the consortium headed up by Formula 1 billionaires Flavio Briatore and Bernie Ecclestone (who want a return on their investment straight away, by the number of managers they go through, and have desires on picking the team themselves), with the aim of having them in the premier league within four years.

Well worth a view, gives a good insight into behind the scenes of a then second tier English club and how it can go right and wrong!

i think ive watched it about 6 times now 'i'm going to sack that ****ing idiot' , i loved it, a complete madhouse

I concur! Also Next Goal Wins about the aftermath of American Samoa losing 31 nil to Australia will be out on US Netflix soon, supposed to be an immense documentary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

I concur! Also Next Goal Wins about the aftermath of American Samoa losing 31 nil to Australia will be out on US Netflix soon, supposed to be an immense documentary.

ive read some great reviews about that, looking forward to seeing it. on a similar sporting tip 'hoop dreams' one of the best sporting docs ive ever seen is well worth a watch about 2 aspiring high school basketball players and their daily life struggles

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭vidor

Dear Zachary: A Letter to a Son About His Father is an amazing documentary!

Used to be a fan of this one but the editing in it bugs the hell out of me, with its quick cuts, a still with just the lips moving and what not, and the speed of the narration is a bit much at times.

It's an interesting story but suffers from the above.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

Didnt stalin have one of those as well. They always turn out bad:)

Stalin and Mao had 5 year plans, Nazis had a 4 year economic plan from 1936-40, that went on to 1945.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,261 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

My absolute favourite film of last year The Great Beauty is up on the Irish site.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭romperstomper

Stalin and Mao had 5 year plans, Nazis had a 4 year economic plan from 1936-40, that went on to 1945.

QPR film one of the best sports docs I've ever seen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

Jesus i hated this film, cant believe anybody would ever give it a second viewing. I cant believe it's relative popularity. It looks like it was shot in the 90's, anytime there's a "spooky" or "tense" scene this stupid, cheesy, sinister music comes on. The voicovers are annoying and it goes nowhere except around in circles, i honestly felt like i was watching this for 3 hours.

I was looking forward to watching this after seeing the misleading trailer, obviously i was fairly dissapointed. Just thinking about this film pisses me off.

A star rating you ask? Yes i give this piece of sh1t film a big brown star.

No offense OP :pac:
    Yeah I didn't really rate this either. It had been recommended to me and the whole way through I expected a big twist or something to justify the recommendation, but it never came.

Capturing the Friedmans on the other hand. Saw it when it first came out and thought it was gripping.

Devil's Knot has been added to the US catalogue. Surprised to see it there considering that it's not yet released on DVD or Blu-Ray in the US

• Registered Users Posts: 60,595 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Godzilla fans Pacific Rim is on Netflix Sweden.

I was disappointed in it but I know people who love it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

Devil's Knot has been added to the US catalogue. Surprised to see it there considering that it's not yet released on DVD or Blu-Ray in the US

has it even been released here?

• Advertisement

folan wrote: »
    has it even been released here?

Not yet but it appears to have been mistakenly added to Netflix as it's no longer there. Same thing happened with A Hijacking when it appeared first months back.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Did Ti West's the Sacrement come to Netflix?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

sweetie wrote: »
    Did Ti West's the Sacrement come to Netflix?

Not according to moreflicks.com, but it's on Vudu and Itunes, apparently.

The Sacrament is still on limited release in the US so there's no chance of it appearing on Netflix till such time as it gets a home release.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12 samwhite449

Netflix Tv series: Archer

Its quite funny and i think a great show.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 101 ✭✭Katie1289

I'm sure that they have all been heavily recommended already but here we go!

Derek: Words fail to when I try to describe this show. It is one of the most moving and poignant pices of television I have had the pleasure of watching. Every line is thought provoking. Ricky Gervais is outstanding. The season one finale is PHENOMENAL! I cannot remember crying as much as that at a film- perhaps because it strick a chord on a deeper level. That's what this show does- it tears you down and builds you back up- showing the light that is in the darkness of this world. Kev for instance is the complete down and out of the show, but in season two the dynamic changes slightly, I love it. 9.5/10 (Because season 2 lost that .5 from me :( )

Orange is the New Black: Great entertainment. I really look forward to watching this show. It's fun and very original (a netflix original even haha :/ ) I will not ramble on about this- anyone worth their salt has watched it and decided whether it's for them.

Parks and Recreation (American): This show should be watched after season one. It gets exponentially better. Ron Swanson is one of the funniest characters ever in my opinion. Chris is quite literally the most amazing guy EVER :P There are obviously going to be parallels drawn between this and The Office and I do not think it is as good at all. It has its laughs and sometimes emotional moments, but The Office was a rollercoaster that would bring you from uproarious laughter to tears in minutes. This show does not hit that mark. There is certianly no Michael Scott or Dwight K. Schrute :) On that note anyone not familiar with the office needs to be. Watching that show is like being at home for me I adore it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Katie1289 wrote: »
    I'm sure that they have all been heavily recommended already but here we go!

Derek: Words fail to when I try to describe this show. It is one of the most moving and poignant pices of television I have had the pleasure of watching. Every line is thought provoking. Ricky Gervais is outstanding. The season one finale is PHENOMENAL! I cannot remember crying as much as that at a film- perhaps because it strick a chord on a deeper level. That's what this show does- it tears you down and builds you back up- showing the light that is in the darkness of this world. Kev for instance is the complete down and out of the show, but in season two the dynamic changes slightly, I love it. 9.5/10 (Because season 2 lost that .5 from me :( )

Derek is one of those things that people seem to love or loathe. I thought it was about a subtle as a brick to the face with its messages and the overuse of sad piano music detracts at times from what should be a more naturally emotional moment if left dialogue only but when it's good it's really good. The finale was excellent as well and there are some really poignant moments throughtout the series.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,692 ✭✭✭Corvo

The Wolverine is on Canadian Netflix

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭vidor

Wayne's World is on US Netflix. I might have watched it as a kid but I don't remember any of it.

Also streaming on it are:

Stories We Tell
    Coffee And Cigarettes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Bozo Skeleton

Mickeroo wrote: »
    My absolute favourite film of last year The Great Beauty is up on the Irish site.

I came on here to post that that movie was up. An absolutely marvellous film.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement