Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - Film Recommendations *READ FIRST POST*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ape Lincoln

Is Peaky Blinders on any Netflix region of BBC player?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

Continuum

BSG's successor in tone and substance and brave in the same sense it never even slightly takes sides or hop on the green train or any other current bandwagon.

It blends many different genres

Shot and set in Vancouver and plenty of SG and BSG and every other working actor in Hollywood North turns up in it

The series centers on the conflict between a group of rebels from the year 2077 who time-travel to Vancouver, BC, in 2012, and a police officer who accidentally accompanies them. In spite of being many years early, the rebel group decides to continue its violent campaign to stop corporations of the future from replacing governments, while the police officer endeavours to stop them without revealing to anyone that she and the rebels are from the future.

The description of it sounds like some cheap b-movie and I was sckeptical as hell, but the characters feel fully formed from the first moment and act within the limitations the story outlines, to the point where you "like it's over?! play another and another"

And you immediately think "ah yes a lead actress will be only a pretty face" and ............... she turns out to be the best singular sci-fi heroine since Kara Thrace in BSG. In fact she makes the show!

I've enjoyed this a show a lot more than Breaking Bad and a few other acclaimed shows.

It is a unique and different show, and really makes you think of the world of today and it's chilling as hell.
    The "bad guys" are trying to accomplish what I consider to be a good thing -- preventing corporations from controlling the world -- but they do it through murder, violence and riot. We can already see that corporations have a global reach now, so the show is based in a credible "reality". One applauds the motives of the "bad guys" while being revolted by their methods. Conversely, the "good guys" seem to be working to protect and preserve what will become a "bad" world based in complete corporate control.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 101 ✭✭Katie1289

krudler wrote: »
    Derek is one of those things that people seem to love or loathe. I thought it was about a subtle as a brick to the face with its messages and the overuse of sad piano music detracts at times from what should be a more naturally emotional moment if left dialogue only but when it's good it's really good. The finale was excellent as well and there are some really poignant moments throughtout the series.

Oh I agree actually. It's not subtle at all .
    I find it quite refreshing though. I don't have to go looking for what the point of watching that show was as it is rather obvious. There are no metaphors or a lot of symbolism. It's pure and upfront, like Derek himself:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Completely gave up on Derek after they used a song as insultingly obvious and manipulative as Coldplay's Fix You for the season 1 finale. The show would have been even poignant and effective enough without such heavy-handedness imho. It just feels way too insincere and calculated to me.

Separate threads for film & TV
    e_e wrote: »
    Completely gave up on Derek after they used a song as insultingly obvious and manipulative as Coldplay's Fix You for the season 1 finale. The show would have been even poignant and effective enough without such heavy-handedness imho. It just feels way too insincere and calculated to me.

I really didn't warm to the show at all, felt like a great idea bogged down by melodramatic writing of the worst kind. The overuse of that terrible piano sue was just painful and it felt like Gervais wanted you to know that you were supposed to be sad at this moment. It's also an incrediably cynical show that seems to have been made simply so Gervias can pat himself on the back for tackling taboo subject matter.

The show strives repeatedly for some emotional weight but the writing is trite, cliched and would feel more at home during the afternoon hours and starring some old soap actors. It wants to be hard hitting and adult but much like Kev's speech at the end of the first series the entire thing is so bland and manufactured that it has no impact.

• Advertisement

That's gas :) To each their own and all :rolleyes:

I did remember thinking Fix You was a poor choice. It's too famous and really over used.

I really didn't warm to the show at all, felt like a great idea bogged down by melodramatic writing of the worst kind. The overuse of that terrible piano sue was just painful and it felt like Gervais wanted you to know that you were supposed to be sad at this moment. It's also an incrediably cynical show that seems to have been made simply so Gervias can pat himself on the back for tackling taboo subject matter.

The show strives repeatedly for some emotional weight but the writing is trite, cliched and would feel more at home during the afternoon hours and starring some old soap actors. It wants to be hard hitting and adult but much like Kev's speech at the end of the first series the entire thing is so bland and manufactured that it has no impact.

Well opinions are like assholes I guess :D Hahaha I kid.
    I disagree 100% about the show being cynical. The show deals with a lot of 'taboo' subjects, but never fails to make the best from a bad situation.
    It is no doubtedly heavy handed but underneath is a heart of gold with, IMHO, some rather important messages.
    I think sir, if I may be so bold, that it is you who are cynical to think that the show is one large ego feeder for Gervais. :o:eek:

Katie1289 wrote: »
    Well opinions are like assholes I guess :D Hahaha I kid.
    I disagree 100% about the show being cynical. The show deals with a lot of 'taboo' subjects, but never fails to make the best from a bad situation.
    It is no doubtedly heavy handed but underneath is a heart of gold with, IMHO, some rather important messages.
    I think sir, if I may be so bold, that it is you who are cynical to think that the show is one large ego feeder for Gervais. :o:eek:

The show tackles a few taboo subjects but it has nothing to say about any of them. The show is the television equivalent of Oscar bait, it exists so that Gervais can show that he's a serious actor. In the hands of a capable writer then there's a lot that could be done with the concept but Gervais doesn't have the ability to do anything beyond generic, lowest common denominator, melodramatic and cliched tosh. The final episode, and in particular that final scene is a lesson in how to take a great moment and then flush it down the toilet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Choochtown

Just finished watching "Revanche" on Irish Netflix.

It's a superb piece of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,091 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

[QUOTE=metroburgers;90677813]I concur! Also Next Goal Wins about the aftermath of American Samoa losing 31 nil to Australia will be out on US Netflix soon, supposed to be an immense documentary.[/QUOTE]

Do you know when?:o

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Katie1289 wrote: »

Everything Gervais does is one large ego feeder for him. Look at The Ricky Gervais Show. Why's it called that when the whole thing was Karl Pilkington? He plays a very slightly different version of himself in everything he does and uses his shows to point out how awful everyone else is. He's as big a one trick pony as Seth MacFarlane. It's the same basic concept over and over. How he's still allowed to make shows, I do not know.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,677 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I meant suggest this a while ago:

Mr Nobody, staring Jared Leto. A film about nothing less than existential angst, quantum mechanics, entropy and the butterfly effect. A sprawling, gloriously ambitious pseudo-philosophical sci-fi mess that is compulsively watchable. If you admired the colossal mess that was Cloud Atlas, you’ll love this.

Everything Gervais does is one large ego feeder for him. Look at The Ricky Gervais Show. Why's it called that when the whole thing was Karl Pilkington? He plays a very slightly different version of himself in everything he does and uses his shows to point out how awful everyone else is. He's as big a one trick pony as Seth MacFarlane. It's the same basic concept over and over. How he's still allowed to make shows, I do not know.
    Yeah I'd be hesitant to accuse anyone of feeding their own ego but you just have to look at the way he basically rounds up people on Twitter to praise him for Derek.

I liked The Office, Extras and his podcast but throughout the entire first season of Derek I honestly wasn't sure if it was supposed to be a parody of the kind of pretentious, cornball and heavy-handed stuff that comedic actors do in a desperate attempt to be taken seriously or if it really was that misjudged a show.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

I agree, Gervais done one brilliant series - The Office, everything else he has done is unbearable.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

Loads of Channel 4 stuff seems to be back, including The Inbetweeners

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Warper wrote: »
    I agree, Gervais done one brilliant series - The Office, everything else he has done is unbearable.

I prefer Extras myself, some great moments in that.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,261 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

krudler wrote: »
    I prefer Extras myself, some great moments in that.

Extras is brilliant, the scene with Bowie still cracks me up.

I can only take The Office in small doses because of how totally dour it is, Extras is just more entertaining to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Extras is brilliant, the scene with Bowie still cracks me up.

Sad little fat man...

Extras is really self aware too, Gervais sends up his own type of celebrity a lot in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭LandonRicketts

Yeah I'd be hesitant to accuse anyone of feeding their own ego but you just have to look at the way he basically rounds up people on Twitter to praise him for Derek.

This exactly. Gervais used to be my favourite comedian although I think he is believing his own hype the past few years. The Office and Extras are my two favourite tv shows of all time and adore the XFM podcasts and even his stand ups but I think that, like Merchant, they aren't that great unless they are writing together(Although I thought Life Too Short was terrible apart from the Liam Neeson scene in the first episode). Un-followed him from Twitter for the exact same reasons, he would retweet everyone who praised Derek and try to form a lynch mob from anyone who criticised it.

Decided to follow him again this morning just to see if he acknowledged the latest craze of people on Tinder using just David Brent quotes to flirt with people but when I saw his Twitter feed he tried to get people doing it using Derek quotes! FFS! Un-followed straight away!

Deep down I think he knows his bread and butter will always be Brent and it is evident based on how he is trying to revive him now(YouTube clips, music gigs, potential film & album etc.)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

I can only take The Office in small doses because of how totally dour it is, Extras is just more entertaining to me.

Never got gervais. tries too hard to be funny

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Hear Gervais came out and said that anyone wanting to die should be able to walk into a chemist and buy pills there on the spot to take and die. Of course they should have a quick chat with a counsellor beforehand in the chemist. Looks like his career has gone so bad he needs to resort to mindless attention seeking comments like this. The guy simply isnt funny and has the most annoying smug head on TV.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I gave Orange Is The New Black a go the other day but I can't say I was impressed. Granted I only watched the first episode so maybe it gets better?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,307 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

I gave Orange Is The New Black a go the other day but I can't say I was impressed. Granted I only watched the first episode so maybe it gets better?

It really does. I'm not going to say it's the best thing ever but it's far from the worst.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

Birneybau wrote: »
    It really does. I'm not going to say it's the best thing ever but it's far from the worst.

Yea its very witty. Crazy eyes and boo are funny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Started watching Misfits last week, on season 3 already. Very funny, though seasons one and two were much better than 3!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,261 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Roquentin wrote: »
    Yea its very witty. Crazy eyes and boo are funny

Looking forward to season 2 but I'm not allowed watch it until I finish Battlstar Galactica (and start my dissertation.......)

• Registered Users Posts: 60,595 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The Legend of Hercules ( Not The R

• Registered Users Posts: 60,595 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The Legend of Hercules (2014) is up on the Mexican Netflix.

I haven't seen and by all accounts it is terrible. But I might give it a try.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭taytobreath

In The House or dans la maison. Netflix Ireland

Watched this last week and thought it was flipin brilliant, very clever and funny film, its a French film so its subtitled. It kept me glued to the chair for the entire film, it has more twists and turns then the red cow roundabout, but they aren't the stupid, silly, ridiculous type. The film review doesn't do it much justice but a viewers review summed it up perfectly... ill post it up for ye....

As you would expect from a master of the unexpected like Ozon, this is a real delight. Without going into spoilers, the film keeps you guessing for quite some time on its direction, as it twists and turns from a teacher and pupil friendship into something altogether weirder and more original.Kristin Scott Thomas is of course outstanding as always, and the rest of the cast doesn't let her down.Highly recommended.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement