Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - Film Recommendations *READ FIRST POST*

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,050 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Separate threads for film & TV
    Jug Face (US Netflix) - an odd little horror film that I quite liked, about a teenage girl living in a weird sort of cult in the backwoods who tries to run away. I don't really want to say more because the story, though not exactly complex, unfolds quite nicely as the film moves along, and you don't really need to know any more than that about the film.

Despite being made on a budget, there's some inventive use of visuals and good practical effects, as well as good use fo sound. It doesn't go for any jump scares or shock tactics, although there is violence in it and it's nasty when it happens. Tonally, it reminded me of the excellent Martyrs - and although it's not quite as good as that film, I think it's definitely worth a watch if you like your horror unsettling and weird.

Spiek Lee's adaptation of Oldboy is now on the US Netflix and while it's inherently flawed it's no the complete travesty many make it out to be.

Grand Piano starring Elijah Wood and John Cusack is also there and is a pretty damn good lil thriller that feels like classic De Palma.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,593 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Netflix to have a Talk Show now.
    Netflix announced Thursday morning that Chelsea Handler has signed a “groundbreaking,” multi-tiered deal with the streaming service, which includes a standup special, four “docu-comedy specials”—and, most importantly, “the first-ever talk show for the global on-demand generation,” which is set to premiere in 2016.

Link

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

Depp's The Lone Ranger is up on the Dutch Netflix

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Sam Mac

Jeff, Who Lives at Home is on the Irish netflix. A wonderful little indie film with superb performances, directed by the Duplass Brothers, who also directed Cyrus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

I watched Fletch on the Irish Netflix last night, surprised it slipped me by all these years.

Highly recommended or fans of: Chevy Chase (when he was cool), detective stories, Fred "The Dorf" Dorfman and laughing.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,050 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I watched The Returned (2013 Film) and Absentia over the weekend.

The Returned was frustrating as anything, because it managed to be one of the most bloodlessly dull zombie films I've ever seen (figuratively speaking) while persistently threatening to make the move into far more interesting territory. It's basically a bad film version of In The Flesh. Skip it and watch ITF instead.

Absentia, on the other hand, was pretty damn good. The Netflix description of it is awful, and really doesn't describe the film at all. Despite sounding like a second-rate supernatural horror-thriller, it's actually a character-based affair about people dealing with the disappearance of a loved one several years ago. There's some very nice toying with the idea of unreliable narrators and some inspired visualisations of what I'll call survivor's guilt for want of a better phrase, and overall it's much more about character development and an uneasy atmosphere than it is about jumps and boos (there are a few of those in there, but they're much more effectively handled than in many such films, IMO). Well worth a watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,306 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

You do know that there is a full series of The Returned? Came out after film. Not same cast. Think it's on Netflix, worth a watch.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Yeah don't let the film out you off the TV show, which is magnificent. An impressively smart and atmospheric series. The last couple of episodes particularly are among the best television I've seen.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

They're doing a US remake of the TV show. Can't say I hold out much hope for it. The French one was perfect.

• Advertisement

Birneybau wrote: »
    You do know that there is a full series of The Returned? Came out after film. Not same cast. Think it's on Netflix, worth a watch.

The 2013 The Returned is a different film to the one you are thinking of.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

They're doing a US remake of the TV show. Can't say I hold out much hope for it. The French one was perfect.

agreed

• Registered Users Posts: 60,593 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Lone Survivor added to Netflix Brazil.

Edit: Season 1 of Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. also added

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

Fysh wrote: »
    The Netflix description of it is awful, and really doesn't describe the film at all.
    Ditto for everything on Netflix, which is why it's so hard to find something with all that choice! In the Flesh sounds good, I will give it a go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

The Art of the Steal is an ok, watchable, crime comedy on US Netflix. Some terrible accents on display, dreadful English and Irish ones being particularly bad.

Oh and for anyone with A Tinker Bell fan in the house, The Pirate Fairy is already on US Netflix and I'm reliably informed it's one of the better ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Fysh wrote: »
    Jug Face (US Netflix) - an odd little horror film that I quite liked, about a teenage girl living in a weird sort of cult in the backwoods who tries to run away. I don't really want to say more because the story, though not exactly complex, unfolds quite nicely as the film moves along, and you don't really need to know any more than that about the film.

Despite being made on a budget, there's some inventive use of visuals and good practical effects, as well as good use fo sound. It doesn't go for any jump scares or shock tactics, although there is violence in it and it's nasty when it happens. Tonally, it reminded me of the excellent Martyrs - and although it's not quite as good as that film, I think it's definitely worth a watch if you like your horror unsettling and weird.

Gave this a go last night after liking some of your previous horror recommendations like YellowBrickRoad etc. but it was just ok I thought. Nice premise and good performances but very flimsy story and then the ending was quite abrupt, could have had an extra 20 mins of exposition I thought.

Watched absentia a while back and loved it, such a great little unsettling film.

Valmont wrote: »
    Ditto for everything on Netflix, which is why it's so hard to find something with all that choice! In the Flesh sounds good, I will give it a go.

I love how on the Canadian site the description is often a piss take of the film, I saw one slasher film described as "Yet another bunch of sexed up idiots get cut up by a somewhat dull witted guy in a mask".

sweetie wrote: »
    Gave this a go last night after liking some of your previous horror recommendations like YellowBrickRoad etc. but it was just ok I thought. Nice premise and good performances but very flimsy story and then the ending was quite abrupt, could have had an extra 20 mins of exposition I thought.

Watched absentia a while back and loved it, such a great little unsettling film.

Yeah, I know what you mean about the ending. I think that it worked for the film to effectively end without giving any real answers (given that pretty much none of the characters in the film had any real knowledge of what was happening or answers to explain what was happening in any greater detail), but the narrative did feel a bit clunky as a result, effectively juddering to a halt about five minutes after it starts to pick up momentum.

I like the bleakness of it, though - there's a sort of despairing dead-endness to it that's not a million miles away from something like Snowtown (although Snowtown was a much more harrowing film to watch, I think).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,692 ✭✭✭Corvo

Lone Survivor added to Netflix Brazil.

Friday night sorted for me, many thanks.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,261 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

It's all on youtube anyway I think but Red vs Blue is on the Irish 'flix.

• Advertisement

Wolf Creek 2 has popped up on the American Netflix and there's still no date for an Irish cinema or DVD release of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Bozo Skeleton

Baraka popped up up on another thread, a visually mesmerising film. The same people made Samsara a year or two ago, which is equally stunning. On Irish Netflix. I might have recommended it before, but it's still awesome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Loved Baraka and Samsara.

Just checked if Koyaanisqatsi is on any Netflix but doesn't appear to be

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Wolf Creek 2 has popped up on the American Netflix and there's still no date for an Irish cinema or DVD release of it.

is it that bad? :D

Must check if the loved ones is on there, a great little aussie horror-comedy that i'd love to watch again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

Watched Mr Nobody based on a recommendation on this thread, wonderful movie, great soundtrack, well acted, Leto in the lead role is top notch; so good a film that it deserves a second recommendation.
    So diffidently give it a viewing, particularly if you like movies such as Moon.

I often wonder why movies such as this along with Time Crimes (Spanish)and Primer don't achieve the success they warrant.

As for The Returned, well quite frankly... avoid.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,261 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Reg'stoy wrote: »
    Watched Mr Nobody based on a recommendation on this thread, wonderful movie, great soundtrack, well acted, Leto in the lead role is top notch; so good a film that it deserves a second recommendation.
    So diffidently give it a viewing, particularly if you like movies such as Moon.

I often wonder why movies such as this along with Time Crimes (Spanish)and Primer don't achieve the success they warrant.

Upstream Colour should be up your alley, same director as Primer and was added to the Irish site in the last few weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

Been watching the original series of "The Twilight zone" on American Netflix. And I must say it's actually brilliant - I recommend watching at night with the light off (extra scary!)

The black and white and creepy violins make it way scarier/unsettling than anything coming out at the moment. The writing is so clever too with some inspired twists thrown in for good measure.

Definitely recommend

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Been watching the original series of "The Twilight zone" on American Netflix. And I must say it's actually brilliant - I recommend watching at night with the light off (extra scary!)

The black and white and creepy violins make it way scarier/unsettling than anything coming out at the moment. The writing is so clever too with some inspired twists thrown in for good measure.

Definitely recommend

watch the episode "eye of the beholder" it's brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

krudler wrote: »
    watch the episode "eye of the beholder" it's brilliant.

Yeah I've got a list of ten episodes to watch first and that's on it - other well known ones I watched last night were "The Invaders", " To Serve Man", "Time enough at last" and "Walking distance", all brilliant, had me glued to the tv.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

For some stunning photography and an easy going documentary, the excellent Mile.... Mile and a Half is on US netflix.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement