Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - Film Recommendations *READ FIRST POST*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

krudler wrote: »
    watch the episode "eye of the beholder" it's brilliant.

Watched it last night, really liked it! (Although I did guess the twist within about 3 minutes)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,050 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Separate threads for film & TV
    I tried to watch Only God Forgives last night, but it didn't go well - I lasted 20 minutes and concluded that either: a) I wasn't in the mood for it, or b) it's pretentious guff trying to imitate David Lynch without understanding what makes Lynch's films work. I wasn't particularly impressed with Drive, which had a similar problem - constant adoring sequences staring at Ryan Gosling apparently doing an impression of Tobey Maguire, and not enough actual character development - so it may just be that Refn's films are not for me. I may try watching it again at some point, given how many folks have praised it.

Wanting to clear my palate after trying OGF, I ended up watching Virtuality, which Netflix lists as a film. It's about 2/3 to 3/4 of a pretty decent sci-fi film - it has a Sunshine-esque setup in that it has a crew of people aboard a ship on a mission that may have important repercussions for the fate of humanity. The writing is reasonably good (though some characters get more screen time than others), the effects and visuals are very nicely handled, and overall I would have been very happy if it hadn't just suddenly jolted to a halt at around the point where the third act should have started.

I discovered later that it was a pilot episode for a series that didn't get picked up. As a standalone film it's a frustrating watch, because there's a lot of quality there but it's missing an ending. If you can put up with the lack of resolution to any of the storylines or character arcs it contains, there's a lot to enjoyu

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Fysh wrote: »
    I tried to watch Only God Forgives last night, but it didn't go well - I lasted 20 minutes and concluded that either: a) I wasn't in the mood for it, or b) it's pretentious guff trying to imitate David Lynch without understanding what makes Lynch's films work. I wasn't particularly impressed with Drive, which had a similar problem - constant adoring sequences staring at Ryan Gosling apparently doing an impression of Tobey Maguire, and not enough actual character development - so it may just be that Refn's films are not for me. I may try watching it again at some point, given how many folks have praised it.

Wanting to clear my palate after trying OGF, I ended up watching Virtuosity, which Netflix lists as a film. It's about 2/3 to 3/4 of a pretty decent sci-fi film - it has a Sunshine-esque setup in that it has a crew of people aboard a ship on a mission that may have important repercussions for the fate of humanity. The writing is reasonably good (though some characters get more screen time than others), the effects and visuals are very nicely handled, and overall I would have been very happy if it hadn't just suddenly jolted to a halt at around the point where the third act should have started.

I discovered later that it was a pilot episode for a series that didn't get picked up. As a standalone film it's a frustrating watch, because there's a lot of quality there but it's missing an ending. If you can put up with the lack of resolution to any of the storylines or character arcs it contains, there's a lot to enjoyu

hear, hear, awful pile of pretentious pap

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I can't think of many films that divide opinion as radically as Only God Forgives. I love how polar the responses almost always are :)

I'm firmly a member of the 'it's a steaming pile of excrement' camp, but credit to Refn for at least making a film unusual enough to elicit such strong responses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ape Lincoln

Fysh wrote: »

Wanting to clear my palate after trying OGF, I ended up watching Virtuosity, which Netflix lists as a film. It's about 2/3 to 3/4 of a pretty decent sci-fi film - it has a Sunshine-esque setup in that it has a crew of people aboard a ship on a mission that may have important repercussions for the fate of humanity. The writing is reasonably good (though some characters get more screen time than others), the effects and visuals are very nicely handled, and overall I would have been very happy if it hadn't just suddenly jolted to a halt at around the point where the third act should have started.

Virtuosity is a 1995 film with Denzel and Russell Crowe. Your link is to something called Virtuality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,593 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Carrie (2013) added to Netflix Ireland.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,050 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Virtuosity is a 1995 film with Denzel and Russell Crowe. Your link is to something called Virtuality.

D'oh! You'd think after looking it up on IMDB I'd have gotten the name right. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

I can't think of many films that divide opinion as radically as Only God Forgives. I love how polar the responses almost always are :)

I'm firmly a member of the 'it's a steaming pile of excrement' camp, but credit to Refn for at least making a film unusual enough to elicit such strong responses.
    I've still yet to find an answer as to why it's pretentious though. It's more and more just becoming a vague buzzword for "I didn't like what this film/book/song was going for."

Jackass Presents: Bad Grandpa added to Canada

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I'd rather watch something that angered me rather than something so bland I'd forgotten about it the next day. Maybe that makes Transformers 4 a work of genius or something.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,261 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

The Carrie remake is on the Irish site.

Also Le Week-End with Jim Broadbent is up there too. Has very good reviews, thought it was yet to get a cinema release so I'm surprised to see it there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Also Le Week-End with Jim Broadbent is up there too. Has very good reviews, thought it was yet to get a cinema release so I'm surprised to see it there.
    Hmm? It got a cinema release last year, around the time of Blue Jasmine IIRC.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,261 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

e_e wrote: »
    Hmm? It got a cinema release last year, around the time of Blue Jasmine IIRC.

The local art house were showing trailers for it a couple months ago which threw me off I guess as I hadn't heard of it before that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Lost in Translation added to irish netflix , such a good movie

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,450 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Mickeroo wrote: »
    The Carrie remake is on the Irish site.

Should be an interesting one to check out; the original's a stonecold classic but really shows its age these days.

All 7 seasons of The Shield added to Ireland.

All 5 seasons of The A-Team added to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,388 ✭✭✭✭noodler

The Shield is da bomb.

Sweet butter etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

If any one hasnt seen the Shield, get on it. Its one of the best shows ever made IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

The A-Team wihooooo. I'll be reliving my Saturday afternoons as a kid

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Cool, never watched The Shield. I often see it compared to The Wire in terms of which was better so that's good :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,021 ✭✭✭✭cena

Can't wait to watch the shield

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Bacchus wrote: »
    Cool, never watched The Shield. I often see it compared to The Wire in terms of which was better so that's good :)

Its different to The Wire, they are compared because they are a)both very entertaining and b)involve cops.

Its very well written and extremely addictive. The characters get you really emotionally invested too and its hard not to "ahhh ill watch another one so"

• Registered Users Posts: 26,388 ✭✭✭✭noodler

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Its different to The Wire, they are compared because they are a)both very entertaining and b)involve cops.

Its very well written and extremely addictive. The characters get you really emotionally invested too and its hard not to "ahhh ill watch another one so"

It is early 24-like in its addictiveness.

I shot through all seven seasons incredibly quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭McGrath5

And here I was about to start watching The Shield by other means. :)

For those of a certain age the all time classic (for teenage boys in the 80s) American Ninja has been added to Netflix America

Also The Delta Force starring Chuck Norris & Lee Marvin. I am going to relive my teenage years tonight.

Also the all time classic 1956 Don Siegel version of Invasion of the Body Snatchers added.

Huge updates across all regions on Netflix today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

The Shield is ridiculously good but I got inexplicably burned out on it half way through the 5th season. Left it fallow for over a year and then went back to it to finish it off.

12 Monkeys is on the Brazillian Netflix for those that can access it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,752 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Think I'll give the Shield a watch, ye cant be all wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Does any of the Netflix regions have the Dinosaurs TV Show? I think U.S Netflix had it before but not on there now.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

nocoverart wrote: »
    Does any of the Netflix regions have the Dinosaurs TV Show? I think U.S Netflix had it before but not on there now.

It was definitely on the US one at one point as I watched a few episodes of it, it hasnt aged well tbh..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

All 7 seasons of The Shield added to Ireland.

All 5 seasons of The A-Team added to Ireland.

Remaining 2 months of Summer gone.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement