Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - Film Recommendations *READ FIRST POST*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭coolisin

Great in Killer Joe too.

I was just coming on here to suggest that

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

coolisin wrote: »
    I was just coming on here to suggest that

he was great, but the film itself was weird, particularly withe the chicken scene

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 101 ✭✭Katie1289

I cannot stop watching Ru Paul's Drag Race.

So bad but so so good.

Well worth a watch if you like reality elimination style competitions, it's pure entertainment and opened my eyes to the fascinating world of what it's like to be a drag Queen.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 101 ✭✭Katie1289

Also:
    Skins: Skins is fundamentally a young adult show but it's a great watch I loves that show when I was younger. Season 7 however came out last year and is a look at 3 of the characterrom the series and how they are getting on in the big bad world of post-adolesence. There are 6 episodes 2 each focusing on a character and they are called Fire, Pure and Rise. They're a really good watch Rise stars Jack O Connell who as always delivers a very good performance. Fire was fantastic I loved the subplot of thei roommate. If this series doesn't sound like your cup of tea, I'd give it a whirl anyway!

Bobs Burgers (US) : ok so I was very hesitant to watch this, first because I thought it was by that pillock McFarlene and then because I just wasn't bothered but it really is genuinely funny. It gets better in Season 2 it has to be said but I adore the voice acting (and I don't even know why that is because I never take notice of cartoon voices) and the dialogue I find laugh out loud!

Man on the Moon: This is a great little coming of age story starring Reese Witherspoon in her first role! The Netflix description is vaguely creepy but fear not, it's really rather good. She just deals with her first crush and rejection, living in America in the 50s it's a sad tale so be warned but enjoyable none the less.

Mysterious Skin: Oh this really is a brilliant film. It's a low budget indie drama starring Joseph Gordon Levitt and Brady Corbet. It's essentially about what happens when two young boys suffer a traumatic event and the effect it has on them when they get older. The two boys take starkly different paths, one becoming a prostitute and the other replacing the event with visions of abduction from aliens. Highly recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,591 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Separate threads for film & TV
    The German mini-series Generation War is now on the US Netflix.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Sam Mac

Carrie 2013 remake has showed up on the Irish netflix. Not a bad film, as remakes go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Pique

Katie1289 wrote: »
    Also:
    Skins: Skins is fundamentally a young adult show but it's a great watch I loves that show when I was younger. Season 7 however came out last year and is a look at 3 of the characterrom the series and how they are getting on in the big bad world of post-adolesence. There are 6 episodes 2 each focusing on a character and they are called Fire, Pure and Rise. They're a really good watch Rise stars Jack O Connell who as always delivers a very good performance. Fire was fantastic I loved the subplot of thei roommate. If this series doesn't sound like your cup of tea, I'd give it a whirl anyway!
    A

Skins was a fantastic show.

I missed the first cast (seasons 1&2) but the next two casts (3&4 and 5&6) were excellent. Season 3&4 especially were a fantastic mini series (as each 2 season group are distinct from the others and need no prior watching).

I think one of the characters from the first cast was in the C4 show, Misfits.

One of the characters from cast 2 was in the movie Harry Brown.

Highly recommended (unless you live in a city and have kids in their late teens!)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

The German mini-series Generation War is now on the US Netflix.

Saw this when it was on RTÉ before Christmas last year. Incredible. Highly recommended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Netflix are looking for a "Tagger",get paid to watch Netflix and work from home :D

http://jobs.netflix.com/jobs.php?id=NFX01466

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

12 Angry Men is on the US one, one of the best films ever made.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    He is genuinely good in the Lincoln Lawyer and Dallas Buyer's Club though... but he's had it handy for most of his career alright, no doubt about it :D

Agreed.

I enjoyed his action role in reign of fire and thought he was great in true detective.

He could of continued making a living out of doing pretty boy romcoms but at least try's out differant parts....

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    Bernie

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1704573/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Well worth a watch. Great cast, bolstered by continual testimony from real-life characters who witnessed the whole sorry tale unfold and a fascinating - yet essentially tragic - storyline to booth.

When scripts like this land on Matthew McConaughey's desk he must just say to himself - 'A nice few quid for just being me? Sure. Why not??' :D

Well that's not on netflix Ireland anyways...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Netflix are looking for a "Tagger",get paid to watch Netflix and work from home :D

http://jobs.netflix.com/jobs.php?id=NFX01466

Ah gees, why did I choose an employable degree. Get this job and I can drop out of college!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Apologies if they've been posted already, but two worthwhile films on Irish 'Flix:

Simon Killer - Intriguing Paris set thriller about a disturbed young American visitor. Excellent central performance from Brady Corbet, and director Antoni Campos builds an uneasy atmosphere that toys with genre norms. A film about modern masculinity gone wrong!

You're Next - there's barely an original bone in its body, but there's a wild slapstick edge to this home invasion thriller that puts it a notch above the norm. It's reminiscent of Scream at its best, with the characters enduring grueling physical abuse as they're attacked by a bunch of masked men wielding crossbows. Again, nothing new about the basic narrative - it's very much a proud genre piece - but Sharni Vinson's strong, committed performance as the lead character gives it an extra boost of character. There's also some American independent film directors getting dispatched in amusingly cruel ways, for cinema fans looking for a fun bonus layer to proceedings.

I've noticed that Netflix seem to have started to used closed captioning subtitles for a lot of what they show. I know that it's a relative small complaint but it can be irritating when watching a film or TV show in another language and have the subtitle describe all the sounds occurring, such as (Music Plays) or (door opens). They have also started to subtitle English language dialogue in foreign language productions which can be distracting, especially when the subtitle is ahead of the on-screen audio.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

I've noticed that Netflix seem to have started to used closed captioning subtitles for a lot of what they show. I know that it's a relative small complaint but it can be irritating when watching a film or TV show in another language and have the subtitle describe all the sounds occurring, such as (Music Plays) or (door opens). They have also started to subtitle English language dialogue in foreign language productions which can be distracting, especially when the subtitle is ahead of the on-screen audio.

I definitely noticed that the subtitles on the Bridge were just plain garbage. It was ahead of the audio and they were blatantly not bothering to translate all the dialogue. It clearly wasn't the subtitles that would have aired with the show.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,260 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Mousewar wrote: »
    I definitely noticed that the subtitles on the Bridge were just plain garbage. It was ahead of the audio and they were blatantly not bothering to translate all the dialogue. It clearly wasn't the subtitles that would have aired with the show.

Yeah I noticed that with The Bridge too, it would clearly miss whole lines of dialogue at times. Been a good few months since I watched it too.

Darko, I could have sworn you can switch to regular English subs rather than closed captioned?

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Yeah I noticed that with The Bridge too, it would clearly miss whole lines of dialogue at times. Been a good few months since I watched it too.

Darko, I could have sworn you can switch to regular English subs rather than closed captioned?

It depends on the show or film. Snabba Cash aka Easy Money is on the Irish Netflix and has those horrible yellow closed caption subs.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Eamo71

Safety Not Guaranteed - it's on Irish Netflix. Bit of a gem IMO.
    Edit: Just an explanation. An ad is placed is a newspaper for a time travelling companion and their safety is not guaranteed. So a trio of magazine reporters track the guy down to see what this is all about. For people who hate SF worry ye not -- although it sounds like a science fiction movie it is absolutely not. It's about life, loneliness, regret and being an outsider and different. Some nice turns in it particularly from Jake Johnson.
    http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/safety_not_guaranteed/

Found a TV series called Maron on US Netflix. Watched two eps thus far and really liking it. Anyone who likes Louis would probably take to it. Similar themes though different approach. Comedian playing himself and has a podcast where he interviews other comedians about comedy etc... fun and thought provoking.

Anyone watched Bates Motel on US Netflix? Any good?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

Eamo71 wrote: »
    Anyone watched Bates Motel on US Netflix? Any good?

Didnt watch it on netflix but I found it full of highs and lows

Norman Bates in my opinion is played exceptionally well. Really the acting is down to a T. You can really see the emotion in his transition towards the norman that we're all familiar with from psycho

Little bit OTT at times, but there's only 2 seasons. Worth watching from me. The first few episodes should give you an idea of what to expect if you might like it or not

Season 2 though does get epic towards the end so, yeah overall, check it out.

That's just my 2c

• Advertisement

Not a recommendation, just a tale of woe. I've been rewatching Dawson's Creek, which I'm pretty sure I've never rewatched since it originally aired, and I've basically just ruined my whole childhood. It has not aged well :(

Also, weirdly, all 3 seasons that are up have the theme song from the first season but when it was on TV it changed after the 1st.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,260 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Not a recommendation, just a tale of woe. I've been rewatching Dawson's Creek, which I'm pretty sure I've never rewatched since it originally aired, and I've basically just ruined my whole childhood. It has not aged well :(

Go on US Netflix and watch Freaks and Geeks instead. :)

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Go on US Netflix and watch Freaks and Geeks instead. :)

I loved Freaks and Geeks too but now I'm afraid to rewatch anything I used to love :(

I loved Freaks and Geeks too but now I'm afraid to rewatch anything I used to love :(

I re-watched Freaks and Geeks last summer, it's still brilliant I assure you!

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Wereghost

A lot of new stuff seems to have arrived, including His Girl Friday from 1940. This is a brilliant screwball comedy and one of many, many adaptations/remakes of The Front Page.

The recent version of The Tempest with Helen Mirren as Prospera is also up. Could be worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

The killing season 4 trailer

• Registered Users Posts: 60,591 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Reservoir Dogs is now on Netflix Ireland.

I can't believe it's now 22 years old!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Drumpot wrote: »
    Well that's not on netflix Ireland anyways...

Apols - US 'flix

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

Reservoir Dogs is now on Netflix Ireland.

I can't believe it's now 22 years old!

fantastic film - tops pulp fiction and anything Tarantino did subsequently for me

• Advertisement

Short Term 12 is up on the Irish one now. My favourite film of last year (along with What Maisie Knew) which is also on Netflix.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement