Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - Film Recommendations *READ FIRST POST*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Separate threads for film & TV
    Short Term 12 is up on the Irish one now. My favourite film of last year (along with What Maisie Knew) which is also on Netflix.

Was gonna watch What Maisie Knew last night but opted for a leave your brain at the door film and went with Contraband. Kate Beckinsale is still lookin well!

• Registered Users Posts: 60,591 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I watched the The Art of The Steal a fun film that could have been so much more with the cast they had for it.

Just good to see Kurt Russell back on screen again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Watched In The House (Dans La Maison) last night, on foot of a recommendation here. No classic but very enjoyable film.

Inside Llewyn Davis added to Canada.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭drugstore cowboy

Inside Llewyn Davis added to Canada.

It's a wonderful movie. Nice find!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Alan Partridge: Alpha Papa added to netflix usa, very funny film

Few new things added to the US flix over the past few days.

Homefront
    Out of the Furnace
    Renoir
    Black Rock
    Generation War
    The Believer
    2 Jacks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

peteeeed wrote: »
    Alan Partridge: Alpha Papa added to netflix usa, very funny film

With such a disappointing 3rd act. Thanks for the heads up though, its still worth another watch ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,752 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Finished the 1st season of the Shield last night..

I see why it was so highly recommended. I found the last two or three episodes to be brilliant and there really is some nasty characters in that PD. Shall get stuck into the second season over the weekend.

Oh and the amount of the cast that also appeared in SOA.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

There is a lot to get through in The Shield. I jumped into it straight from The Wire and couldn't adjust to such a radically different tone for a good season or two. It can be ridiculous and contrived, and occasionally the 'case of the week' structure gets in the way of the overarching stories. It's not exactly what you'd call a 'subtle' show :pac"

But I stuck with it, and when it's good, it's superb. It's either season 4 or season 5 that's particularly great (think it's four), but it's the final season that really makes it. I've seen lots of shows I'd easily consider superior overall on either an episode by episode or even series by series basis. But even then I've never seen a final stretch that hits quite as hard as The Shield's concluding chapters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,752 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Thats good to know Johnny as I was wondering what way it would pan out as does it hold onto the interesting storyline or did the writers go one season too many.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭naughto

Few new things added to the US flix over the past few days.

Homefront
    Out of the Furnace
    Renoir
    Black Rock
    Generation War
    The Believer
    2 Jacks
    Generation war is very good

• Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭dirtyden

There is a lot to get through in The Shield. I jumped into it straight from The Wire and couldn't adjust to such a radically different tone for a good season or two. It can be ridiculous and contrived, and occasionally the 'case of the week' structure gets in the way of the overarching stories. It's not exactly what you'd call a 'subtle' show :pac"

But I stuck with it, and when it's good, it's superb. It's either season 4 or season 5 that's particularly great (think it's four), but it's the final season that really makes it. I've seen lots of shows I'd easily consider superior overall on either an episode by episode or even series by series basis. But even then I've never seen a final stretch that hits quite as hard as The Shield's concluding chapters.

Very good summary. The fact that they were trying to in some ways almost have a parallel over-riding story arch as well as weekly stand alone episodes took away somewhat from the series but when it was good it was very very good. The key guy, baldy cop, was one of my favourite tv characters ever. Have not seen in many years so I must watch again sometime.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭fernandohierro

Has downton abbey been taken off Netflix? Had a look for it today and can't find it!

Thor: The Dark World added to Netflix Netherlands. ( Holland for RTE football fans )

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭dman15333

Hi. First time posting here. Don't know if it was mentioned but I would recommend 'uwantme2killhim?' on the Irish Netflix.

It is a UK thriller / drama about a teenager who goes into a chatroom online, falls for a girl, and she asks him to kill her abusive boyfriend.

Very good film in my opinion with a great plot.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭vidor

I loved Freaks and Geeks too but now I'm afraid to rewatch anything I used to love :(

Holds up big time on a rewatch. Only went back to it last year but would happily throw it on again.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,677 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

The Master and The Immigrant have been added to US Netflix.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Not being able to go widescreen on the Xbox 360 app is absolutely ridiculous. I threw on an episode of The Shield and it's 4:3. The episodes was made in 2006 for Christ's sake.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,260 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Prince Avalanche is on the Irish site. Decent little indie movie with Paul Rudd and Emile Hirsch, great soundtrack too. Not much happens in it but I enjoyed it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Keno wrote: »
    Not being able to go widescreen on the Xbox 360 app is absolutely ridiculous. I threw on an episode of The Shield and it's 4:3. The episodes was made in 2006 for Christ's sake.

There's a bit of confusion about the 'correct' aspect ratio of The Shield. It seems as if it was shot to work with both frames, and various DVD releases take different approaches to presentation. So yeah, it doesn't seem as if 4:3 is actually wrong, but 16:9 would be right too :pac:

Thankfully there is no magic 'go widescreen' button on Netflix - lord knows Netflix has enough content with incorrect ratios, let alone giving users the option to mess things up further. Any older films on Netflix and it seems like a 50:50 chance if it actually has the right ratio or not - not necessarily their fault, but have had to turn off many because they're horrifically distorted.

Keno wrote: »

It's supposed to be in 4:3. It was shot to resemble a TV documentary. Some of the DVD releases were in 16:9 and while they looked okay, it wasn't how the show was intended to be experienced.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

They used to be have the option to change the picture ratio, but they got rid of it in an update. I'd like to have the option there, as I hate viewing in 4:3.

With the greatest of respect, that's an aversion you seriously should make pains to overcome. I was the same when I was younger, but now I will straight-up turn off a film if it's in anything but its original aspect ratio. It's watching the film 'wrong', point blank. So many, many great shows and films (including almost everything up until the 50s and even 60s) are shot that way, and all the visuals have been purposefully designed to fit and take advantage of 4:3. And it has its advantages and particulars over widescreen, not least the fact that it's so perfectly suited to the shape of people's faces

When you blow up a 4:3 image (or heaven forbid 2.35:1 either!) to widescreen you can only do so by cutting off a significant portion of the image - this can make everything seem displaced and out of balance. Not only that but you'll distort the size and shapes of things on screen, giving everything a nasty stretched look, especially people. It's by far an inferior option to pillarboxing. 4:3 is how it is meant to be seen.

Sorry for that, but I've become something of an aspect ratio militant over the last year or two - there are no circumstances where a film should be watched in anything other than its original form, unless there happens to be several ratios in the first place (they do exist!). If you do increase everything to widescreen, I'd really recommend shaking that bad habit :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,388 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Have the shield on DVD and thankfully it isn't 4:3.

Would find it extremely hard to watch with the letterboxes.

I could not imagine watching sometime in a basterised manner. The amount of information lost when turning 4:3 into 16:9 is ridicolous and let's not forget how head space is lost and gives most compositions an odd unnatural look.

At the minute I'm watching an episode of Frasier on TV and it's in 16:9 and looks awful. It just looks wrong and there's no way I'll be able to watch any more than a few minutes of it. When they released Buffy in 16:9 it just made a mess of it. Suddenly there were studio lights and cameras in shot and on more than a few occasions cameramen and other crew can be seen aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Mebuntu

Sorry for that, but I've become something of an aspect ratio militant over the last year or two :)

LOL, I'm the same although I'd be referring to the widespread practice of broadcasting an original 2.35:1 in just 16:9 or 4:3. I never watch films on TV3 or RTE for this reason alone. It's even worse when they show the opening credits in 2.35:1 and then zoom in for the remainder of the film. I got fed up watching noses talking to noses a long time ago. Of course, by 2.35:1 I mean proper anamorphic widescreen not those films shot in 16:9 (or 1.85:1) and then cropped into a 2.35:1 shape.

On the subject of Netflix I highly recommend the series Titanic: Blood and Steel that much of was filmed in and around Dublin. I used my free trial to watch all episodes.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Mebuntu wrote: »

On the subject of Netflix I highly recommend the series Titanic: Blood and Steel that much of was filmed in and around Dublin. I used my free trial to watch all episodes.

Really? Maybe it's the Titanorak in me but I really didn't enjoy that. Didn't think it was done well at all.

Few notable new titles on the US flix.

The Battered Bastards of Baseball (documentary on the independent team that Kurt Russell's dad, Bing Russell (he played Deputy Clem on "Bonanza") created. At the time it was the only independent team in America.

13 Sins - This only came out on DVD here a few weeks back and isn't a half bad little horror. Some nice ideas in play and a good cast help.

Special ID - Newish Donnie Yen martial arts film. A long way from his best and he's really showing his age but it's undemanding fluff that's fun.

• Advertisement

Manhunter added to the US Netflix
    Manhunter is a 1986 American crime thriller film based on Thomas Harris' novel Red Dragon. Written and directed by Michael Mann, it stars William Petersen as Will Graham and features Brian Cox as Hannibal Lecktor

I haven't seen this in years and not sure if it still holds up after all these years I always felt it was better than The Silence of the Lambs back in the 90's and got badly overlooked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement