Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - Film Recommendations *READ FIRST POST*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭bicboy6666

Malcolm in the middle on the US Netflix is a must.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭Jim Rockford

Any good recent recommendations for the Irish netflix ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Upstream Colour, The Great Beauty, Frances Ha, A Hijacking, You're Next, Simon Killer, Safety Not Guaranteed - each and all worthy of a gander. The first three in particular are some of last year's best films.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,260 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Separate threads for film & TV
    Upstream Colour, The Great Beauty, Frances Ha, A Hijacking, You're Next, Simon Killer, Safety Not Guaranteed - each and all worthy of a gander. The first three in particular are some of last year's best films.

And Prince Avalanche which I mentioned a page or two back but got lost in the aspect ratio debate :p Short Term 12 also worth a look.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I second Short Term 12, What Maisie Knew is worth a look too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭arch_stanton

It's supposed to be in 4:3. It was shot to resemble a TV documentary. Some of the DVD releases were in 16:9 and while they looked okay, it wasn't how the show was intended to be experienced.

Some scenes in my dvds have cameramen and random crew members standing around at the side of the shot. I think they were originally cropped out when the show was broadcast in 4:3 but appeared when it was opened up to 16:9 for the dvd release.

Some scenes in my dvds have cameramen and random crew members standing around at the side of the shot. I think they were originally cropped out when the show was broadcast in 4:3 but appeared when it was opened up to 16:9 for the dvd release.

That's the issue with taking a 4:3 image and making it 16:9, all that stuff that the cameraman and DOP didn't have to worry about is suddenly an issue. It's ridiculous that people prefer to see random cameramen in their screen than watch the show as intended. I'm currently watching The Streets of San Francisco and it looked fantastic, it retains the original aspect ratio and is all the better for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Manhunter added to the US Netflix

I haven't seen this in years and not sure if it still holds up after all these years I always felt it was better than The Silence of the Lambs back in the 90's and got badly overlooked.

Funny enough i watched this for the first time ever last week, its great, its aged really well, in that it hasnt really aged at all, brilliant from start to finish, and kickass soundtrack to boot.

Also, im thinking of signing up to netflix, can you switch between the different country regions at will? or is there a trick to it? or is it just not possible?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

Manhunter added to the US Netflix

I haven't seen this in years and not sure if it still holds up after all these years I always felt it was better than The Silence of the Lambs back in the 90's and got badly overlooked.

both epic.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭dman15333

'' Terms and conditions may apply'' on the Irish Netflix.

It's a documentary about what is in the small print of the terms and conditions of big online companies like Google, Facebook, Twitter, etc and what they collect on the users, and how they use the information.

Really good eye opening documentary on the privacy policies of some of the biggest sites.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,260 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Watched an Irish film that was just added to Canadian 'Flix called Run & Jump, it has Will Forte in it as an American doctor coming to Kerry to monitor a man recovering from a stroke. I'm surprised as it doesn't seem to have gotten much publicity here, it was a decent enough watch and tugs on the heart strings in a few places though it's largely predictable. A likeable enough film all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Twenty Twelve has disappeared from Irish Netflix?
    *weeps*

• Registered Users Posts: 60,589 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Twenty Twelve has disappeared from Irish Netflix?
    *weeps*

These shows drop off from time to time and ususally reapper in a few days later once Netflix renew there licence to show it.

Not a TV show but I cannot recommend Longmire enough. It's available on the US and Canadian flix and is one of the finest shows airing atm. It's a procedural but one that is more concerned with storytelling than it is flashy fx or cheap violence. It's one of those shows that is consistently brilliant but has never found the audience it deserves. Hopefully like Breaking Bad it'll break out into the hit it should be

Just noticed that there's been a bit of an update to the US Netflix

The Art of Killing: The Director's Cut - One of the best documentaries in recent years now presented with additional scenes and a number of interesting changes.
    Downloaded - Documentary on the history of Napster and the way it shaped the last decade of music sharing.
    The Last Days - Decent little sci-fi film from the Pastor brothers. It's a little familiar but makes great use of its low budget and has a few good ideas in play, and is one of those films that really gets better as it goes along.
    War Don War - Documentary following the trail of Issaa Sesay who was one of the leaders in Sierra Leone's civil war. It's grim and hard going but well worth a watch.
    Dead in Tombstone - Fun little tacky B movie western that's dumb but it know sit and just has a little fun. It's the kind of thing you throw on after a few pints.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Not a TV show but I cannot recommend Longmire enough. It's available on the US and Canadian flix and is one of the finest shows airing atm. It's a procedural but one that is more concerned with storytelling than it is flashy fx or cheap violence. It's one of those shows that is consistently brilliant but has never found the audience it deserves. Hopefully like Breaking Bad it'll break out into the hit it should be

katee sackoff - i'm in

sweetie wrote: »
    katee sackoff - i'm in

And she's not even the best thing about it. Honestly it's one of those shows that has gone from being good to down right brilliant. I'm catching up with series 3 and it's not just the best procedural on TV but one of the best shows on full stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

Just watched the first episode. Quality recommendation.

Mousewar wrote: »
    Just watched the first episode. Quality recommendation.

Wait till you get caught up with the show, the most recent episode, "Population 25" it' one of the finest 47 minutes of TV in quite some time. It really is just great TV and one that manages to be far more adult than most cable shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,109 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Primeval series 4 and 5 now added to Irish Netflix, the location shots seem a bit familiar though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Watched Longmire pilot just now based on the recommendation, really enjoyed it :) cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭McSasquatch II

flazio wrote: »
    Primeval series 4 and 5 now added to Irish Netflix, the location shots seem a bit familiar though.

Were they the episodes filmed in Clongriffin in Dublin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Watched Longmire pilot just now based on the recommendation, really enjoyed it :) cheers!

Longmire my favourite show now, it gets better and better. Deserves loads more recognition than it gets.Worth watching the 2 series on Netflix, then catching up with 3rd, ongoing in the US. Then watching them all again.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,109 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Oak76 wrote: »
    Were they the episodes filmed in Clongriffin in Dublin?
    Did some online research, Series 1 to 3 were filmed in Surrey, Series 4 to 5 moved to Dublin, however the shows UK setting didn't change, they are just pretending that Dublin is the same UK city they were always working from. The cover up is really poor, the jeeps have UK regs with white back plates instead of yellow, signage such as 'the Gaiety ' and Irish language signs are clear for all, and one of the characters flats has a great view of Samuel Beckett bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,589 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The Hunger Games: Catching Fire added to Netflix Brazil.

Hell on wheels season 3 added to Netflix Canada and US.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

Four episodes in. It's not exactly 'True Detective' is it?

Mezcita wrote: »
    Four episodes in. It's not exactly 'True Detective' is it?

And True Detective isn't exactly The Wire.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

And True Detective isn't exactly The Wire.

Sure but to me The Wire and True Detective are great examples of extremely well made ground breaking TV shows.

This, so far, is a generic cop show where the only difference is that it is set in rural USA. Don't get me wrong, I don't think it's bad. But the standard 'solve everything in 47 minutes a la Murder She Wrote' is just a bit well... meh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Sure but to me The Wire and True Detective are great examples of extremely well made ground breaking TV shows.

This, so far, is a generic cop show where the only difference is that it is set in rural USA. Don't get me wrong, I don't think it's bad. But the standard 'solve everything in 47 minutes a la Murder She Wrote' is just a bit well... meh.

I've only watched the first episode and already feel the same but everyone seems to think it gets better as it goes so I'll stick with it for a little while :)

• Advertisement

It's not supposed to be seen as ground breaking tv. It's a procedural that manages to be far more than it initially promises. Solving the mystery of the week within the 42 minutes is par on course but Longmire also has a number of ongoing storylines that takes up quite a lot of time. The mystery of the week is generally always gripping and well told. It may not be the next The Wire but it's entertaining, well made TV with the emphasis on exploring the characters and unlike many "adult" shows Longmire doesn't need to throw in gratuitous sex and violence to be adult. It does so through the themes and issues it explores.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement