Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - Film Recommendations *READ FIRST POST*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Richard Linklater's Slacker is up. Anyone who has spent time in college, especially colleges in the mid west of the US will have a great chuckle.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

Mezcita wrote: »
    Sure but to me The Wire and True Detective are great examples of extremely well made ground breaking TV shows.

This, so far, is a generic cop show where the only difference is that it is set in rural USA. Don't get me wrong, I don't think it's bad. But the standard 'solve everything in 47 minutes a la Murder She Wrote' is just a bit well... meh.

true detective started out brilliantly in my mind. The last episode where it all pieced together was not credible though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    Richard Linklater's Slacker is up. Anyone who has spent time in college, especially colleges in the mid west of the US will have a great chuckle.
    Such a great film and still my favorite of Linklater's. You really feel like you've gone on a journey by the end of it.

Some hysterical characters and quotes too:

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,260 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Separate threads for film & TV
    Wreck It Ralph is on the swedish site now.

The mystery of the week is popular for some. Then others prefer the slow build up alá true dective/breaking bad/The wire.

Personally i prefer the slow build up. Its more realistic. Hannibal is one with murder of the week format and it ruins it i believe. Hannibal could have been a contender had they done it like true detective/breaking bad

• Advertisement

Roquentin wrote: »
    The mystery of the week is popular for some. Then others prefer the slow build up alá true dective/breaking bad/The wire.

Personally i prefer the slow build up. Its more realistic. Hannibal is one with murder of the week format and it ruins it i believe. Hannibal could have been a contender had they done it like true detective/breaking bad

But many shows can juggle the two, Longmire is one what does so rather well. On one hand you have the mystery of the week and on the other you have a number of different ongoing stories that build up week after week. The ongoing story about who killed Walt's wife and why is only really coming into it's own in series 3 and is all the better for it. Similarly the upcoming election is a big part of the first two series and the way the writers just kind of skip past it is nice.

I started True Detective this afternoon and really enjoying it though I can't understand how anyone would consider it ground breaking.

But many shows can juggle the two, Longmire is one what does so rather well. On one hand you have the mystery of the week and on the other you have a number of different ongoing stories that build up week after week. The ongoing story about who killed Walt's wife and why is only really coming into it's own in series 3 and is all the better for it. Similarly the upcoming election is a big part of the first two series and the way the writers just kind of skip past it is nice.

I started True Detective this afternoon and really enjoying it though I can't understand how anyone would consider it ground breaking.

I will use hannibal as a case study. It uses the murder of the week format. Now common sense dictates that such a number of murders and grotesque ones cannot happen in one state of the USA, let alone the country. It simply does not happen. I just find watching some of those mystery/murder of the week shows as unbelievable. CSI miami makes florida look like everyone is been killed.

I will use hannibal as a case study. It uses the murder of the week format. Now common sense dictates that such a number of murders and grotesque ones cannot happen in one state of the USA, let alone the country. It simply does not happen. I just find watching some of those mystery/murder of the week shows as unbelievable. CSI miami makes florida look like everyone is been killed.

It's called suspension of disbelief. You don't go into a show like Hannibal expecting realism, by it's very nature it's pulpy and not at all rooted in reality. I've only watched a few episodes of Hannibal but will watch the remainder for the visuals and Mikkelsen's performance. Because it involves the FBI investigating the crimes, I would assume that the show takes place all over the US and isn't all set in one state.

It's called suspension of disbelief. You don't go into a show like Hannibal expecting realism, by it's very nature it's pulpy and not at all rooted in reality. I've only watched a few episodes of Hannibal but will watch the remainder for the visuals and Mikkelsen's performance. Because it involves the FBI investigating the crimes, I would assume that the show takes place all over the US and isn't all set in one state.

Yea but its still not believable. Thats the problem. It differs from breaking bad and the sopranos.

Breaking bad contains things that are not believable and yet it draws us in.

I agree hannibal could have been special. had a lot going for it.

Yea but its still not believable. Thats the problem. It differs from breaking bad and the sopranos.

Breaking bad contains things that are not believable and yet it draws us in.

I agree hannibal could have been special. had a lot going for it.

It doesn't have to be believable, it has to be entertaining. Breaking Bad is a great show, of that there is no doubt but there's plenty in it that just feels too over the top or ridiculous to be believable. Same goes for The Sopranos, Oz and pretty much every other TV show ever made. Hannibal seems to be a show very much of the same mold, it's one that doesn't ask us to take it as truth but rather to sit back and enjoy the ride.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭gingernut79

Spotted the wolf of wall street on Brazil flix just now

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,260 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I was always convinced Jessica Fletcher used to be behind every murder in Murder She Wrote, could never understand why people didn't run a mile when they saw her as it was inevitable someone was bound to get offed wherever she showed up :p

I'm just coming to the end of Battlestar Galactica now, have about 5 episodes left. Was told by many to stop watching after season 2 so maybe it lowered my expectations a bit but I've found season 3 and particularly season 4 to be pretty enjoyable, though not on the same level as the first 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Pique

From watching Bergerac as a kid, I thought Jersey was the most dangerous place on earth!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Episodes (TV series)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1582350/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Matt Le Blanc pretty much reprises 'Joey' here (hang on, hear me out), with Stephen Mangan as a nerdy English TV writer and Tamsin Greig as his incredibly annoying co-writer and wife..

Formulaic? Yes. Cliched in parts? Certainly... but it's fun!

Really improves in Series 2 and is worth dipping into just for John Pankow's hilarious take on his character Merc Lapidus...

Got a lazy afternoon or two to kill? You could do a lot worse...

It doesn't have to be believable, it has to be entertaining. Breaking Bad is a great show, of that there is no doubt but there's plenty in it that just feels too over the top or ridiculous to be believable. Same goes for The Sopranos, Oz and pretty much every other TV show ever made. Hannibal seems to be a show very much of the same mold, it's one that doesn't ask us to take it as truth but rather to sit back and enjoy the ride.

Darko: is the shield good? What kind of format is it? True detective or mystery of the week

Will give it a watch on netlfix

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    Episodes (TV series)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1582350/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Matt Le Blanc pretty much reprises 'Joey' here (hang on, hear me out), with Stephen Mangan as a nerdy English TV writer and Tamsin Greig as his incredibly annoying co-writer and wife..

Formulaic? Yes. Cliched in parts? Certainly... but it's fun!

Really improves in Series 2 and is worth dipping into just for John Pankow's hilarious take on his character Merc Lapidus...

Got a lazy afternoon or two to kill? You could do a lot worse...

One of the best comedies around at the moment and Matt Le Blanc pretty much doesn't reprise Joey. You must have been watching with a hangover.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

I watched Angels & Demons with Fr James Bond McGregor! passable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I'm just coming to the end of Battlestar Galactica now, have about 5 episodes left. Was told by many to stop watching after season 2 so maybe it lowered my expectations a bit but I've found season 3 and particularly season 4 to be pretty enjoyable, though not on the same level as the first 2.

Might as well watch it all. I enjoyed season 3 and 4 too. The ending just felt like they all sat around and said "crap, we need to finish this, ummm, how can we explain everything in 5 minutes?"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

One of the best comedies around at the moment and Matt Le Blanc pretty much doesn't reprise Joey. You must have been watching with a hangover.

Oh he's definitely summoning up some 'Joey' in a lot of it... I'm about 3 episodes into Series 2 and it's very enjoyable, improving all the time.

Darko: is the shield good? What kind of format is it? True detective or mystery of the week

Will give it a watch on netlfix

The Shield is a mixture of both. It's damn great tv and is one of those shows that's essential viewing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Wonder would any other HBO shows turn up on netflix, The West Wing is on the US one, although they have their own streaming service so probably not. If anything it might encourage more people to watch The Wire if it ever turned up. I just rewatched season 1 and going onto season 2 later, it's still the best tv show ever, Breaking Bad an extremely close second.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭masti123

Dog Pound on the American Nexflix is a really good film, never heard of it before today but saw it as I was scrolling around and decided to give it a watch, it's a remake of the UK film 'Scum'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭QikBax

krudler wrote: »
    Wonder would any other HBO shows turn up on netflix, The West Wing is on the US one, although they have their own streaming service so probably not. If anything it might encourage more people to watch The Wire if it ever turned up. I just rewatched season 1 and going onto season 2 later, it's still the best tv show ever, Breaking Bad an extremely close second.

HBO have a deal with Amazon Prime in the US so most of them are on that.

West Wing was an NBC show so that's why that's on it.

Is west wing hbo? Never realised that. I thought Rome was the only hbo show on there and it only got let because it was co-produced with the bbc.

I like breaking bad a lot but I don't think it's even close to the Wire. I'm due a re-watch myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Choochtown

Pique wrote: »
    From watching Bergerac as a kid, I thought Jersey was the most dangerous place on earth!

No! There's a small rural area in England known as "Midsomer" that's much more dangerous!!

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭CiaranW

Might as well watch it all. I enjoyed season 3 and 4 too. The ending just felt like they all sat around and said "crap, we need to finish this, ummm, how can we explain everything in 5 minutes?"

Haha!
    It was still an amazing series though.
    Binge watched it and really enjoyed it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,589 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Is west wing hbo? Never realised that. I thought Rome was the only hbo show on there and it only got let because it was co-produced with the bbc.

I like breaking bad a lot but I don't think it's even close to the Wire. I'm due a re-watch myself.

The West Wing is NBC.

You are right about why Rome was on Netflix because of the BBC.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,589 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The West Wing is NBC.

Netflix and HBO will never do business together sadly for the viewer.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Watched 3 excellent documentaries on Netflix over the weekend:

The House I live in.

This takes a look at the U.S. war on drugs policy of the last 30 years, its origins and it effects on communities and their society as a whole.

It doesnt pull any punches and comes from the narrative that the policy is lunacy and its hard to disagree. Seeing people incarcerated for such huge amounts of time(a lot for the rest of their natural life)and in such huge numbers for crimes that are in no way deserving of such severity is really depressing to watch.

I ate up every minute of this. A really sensational watch. I did like that it had its clear viewpoint from the start and its up to the viewer whether you agree or not.

The Devil Came On Horseback

Another gut wrenching documentary, this one is the story of an ex US marine who takes a job as an independent observer in the civil war in Sudan and in particular the region of Darfur and the population, where the rebels are based.
    What unfolds it truly shocking as the government and its militia target the population of "Africans" and slaughter them in their hundreds of thousands in the most unthinkable ways. The marine feels powerless and has no mandate to intervene but keeps documenting as much as he can before returning to The States to try and raise awareness and help the population of Darfur from being removed completely from Sudan through displacement and genocide.

I was shattered after watching this and utterly depressed about humanity. I do think of myself as not naive and fairly life savvy(Im 47) but I just despaired at the cruelty and inhumanity that man could inflict upon itself. With current events going on in the world today it does not paint man in a good light at all.

The Central Park Five.

I`m old enough to remember these events but never knew until I watched this documentary that the five were innocent(Not a spoiler).
    Its the story of a vicious assault and rape of a 28 year old white woman in Central Park New York in 1989. Left for dead, five black and hispanic teenagers are arrested and through confessions given to the police are charged and convicted of attempted murder and rape. Four of the five are charged as juveniles(they were 14-15) and one charged as an adult(16 year old). I wont go on with the story as it would possible be a spoiler but, like the above two, its a fascinating social look at human behaviour and how the collective can so easily get things so horribly wrong, be it through ill judged thinking that they are doing the right thing, to out and out brutality and savagery. The lines are actually blurred on some occasions and one or other decription might fit one of the above three that you mightnt automatically think.

Three fantastic peaces of film making imo, all very bleak stories but hugely enjoyable if that makes sense.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Finished watching the clone wars. Its what the prequel trilogy should have been and gives Anakin a personality. Some stuff left unanswered due to being canceled and season 6 was disappointing over all. Would recommend it to any star wars fans.
    CiaranW wrote: »
    Haha!
    It was still an amazing series though.
    Binge watched it and really enjoyed it all.

It was good, I just blank out the last episode.

Caprica is very good too. A bit slow at the start but builds up well. Goes into the cylons being made. Sadly it was canceled so no season 2 :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement