Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - Film Recommendations *READ FIRST POST*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭ChoiChoi

Cropsey is quite good and creepy. True story about a serial killer on staten island.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

ChoiChoi wrote: »
    Cropsey is quite good and creepy. True story about a serial killer on staten island.

I watched it a couple of years ago and found it rather boring and amateurish. Plus it points the finger at a man with no evidence to back up its claims he's the serial killer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,518 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

ChoiChoi wrote: »

Watched this a few months back, starts off slowly as what you can imagine that was mainly lauded as an urban myth amongst the locals, but definitley gets sinister the more the story develops and some uncomfortable truths do come to the surface. The approach work at the start does feel a bit clumsy and loose, but once the story gets going, it actually does make quite good viewing......

Separate threads for film & TV
    All Cheerleaders Die has been added to the US Netflix. It only came out on Blu-Ray in the US this week and an Irish release is some time off. It's co-directed byt Lucky McKee who made the Woman which is one of the better horror films of the past decade

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Watched "A Hijacking" last night - very good film. Danish flick about guess what a hijacking by Somali pirates. Better than Capt Philips.

Also watched "Bobby Fischer against the World" last night. Also very good, well worth a watch. About the legendary chess player and his personal madness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Warper wrote: »
    Watched "A Hijacking" last night - very good film. Danish flick about guess what a hijacking by Somali pirates. Better than Capt Philips.

Also watched "Bobby Fischer against the World" last night. Also very good, well worth a watch. About the legendary chess player and his personal madness.

+ 1 great flick. Get on it if you've a chance as its well worth a watch

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Irish 'Flix?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,260 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    Irish 'Flix?

Yup tis there: http://www.netflix.com/WiMovie/70258415?sod=search-autocomplete

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

an anti-semite jew. thats one for you

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Very good, I really enjoyed it, thanks for posting it.

I do have one big hang-up about the ending though -
    I just don't believe that Mikkel, having hidden his wedding ring from the pirates on the very first day of the hijack, would, five months later, actually go and retrieve it from its hiding place while the pirates were still on the ship. Indirectly, of course, leading to the murder of the captain.

Still, I would highly recommend it, great performances from the actors who played Mikkel, Omar and Peter, the CEO of the shipping company, in particular.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

Netflix and HBO will never do business together sadly for the viewer.
    Is there a reason for this? Or are you assuming that just because they have a deal at the moment with Amazon Prime?

I did the trial for Amazon Prime but didn't keep it. Besides the workaholics and HBO stuff(most of which i've seen) it has about the same stuff as netflix - although in fairness they don't have as much filler crap as netflix

Maybe someday i'll get rid of netflix and go to amazon(which is cheaper). I'm not happy with netflix updates recently. Not many good things have come in

• Registered Users Posts: 60,589 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

EyeSight wrote: »
    Is there a reason for this? Or are you assuming that just because they have a deal at the moment with Amazon Prime?

About 3 years ago they fell out over money for rights along with other things it was a big deal when I was living in the States at the time.

If you want to know the story I'm sure you can find it online.

But they will never do business together unless one buys the other out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,677 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

HBO and Netflix won’t do business because they are now competitors. Netflix isn’t too bothered about Amazon or any other streaming/vod service, hence when Netflix launched here their CEO was on all the radio stations telling people that if they wanted new movies they should check out iTunes. The future of cheap film streaming is bleak. The studios want to increase rates and silo everything. Netflix's only hope is to become the streaming version of a cable tv network, producing exclusive binge-watching content to keep subscribers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭McSasquatch II

Speaking of exclusive binge watching content, has anyone here watched Hemlock Grove, and would they recommend it?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

From Jerry Seinfeld's AMA on Reddit

[–]PolestarX 2211 points 3 hours ago
    Jerry, any word on Seinfeld coming to Netflix?
    Can you please convince Larry to let it happen? There are so many people who still have not experienced Seinfeld first hand and having it available through Netflix will surely be the easiest way.
    C'monnnnnnnnnnn

[–]_Seinfeld 2880 points 3 hours ago
    You are a very smart and progressive person. These conversations are presently taking place.

I would give my right nut for Seinfeld on Netflix.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Oak76 wrote: »
    Speaking of exclusive binge watching content, has anyone here watched Hemlock Grove, and would they recommend it?

I got around half way through season 1 and got too weird for me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Just watched The Battered Bastards of Baseball about the Portland Mavericks, very good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

From Jerry Seinfeld's AMA on Reddit

[–]PolestarX 2211 points 3 hours ago
    Jerry, any word on Seinfeld coming to Netflix?
    Can you please convince Larry to let it happen? There are so many people who still have not experienced Seinfeld first hand and having it available through Netflix will surely be the easiest way.
    C'monnnnnnnnnnn

[–]_Seinfeld 2880 points 3 hours ago
    You are a very smart and progressive person. These conversations are presently taking place.

I would give my right nut for Seinfeld on Netflix.

Best sitcom ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

I watched the first episode. Was like twilight with some nudity

Seinfeld on netflix would be amazing!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Own all the box sets (some of the finest extras out there) but it'd be so great to have it immediately accessible via Netflix instead of having to find whatever season and disc the episode you're looking for is on.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,050 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I'm halfway through the second season and I'd say it's worth a look. It's not a million miles away from shows like True Blood, but the writing and acting are (for the core cast, at least) a good bit better than they are in TB.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Status Offline

A big thanks to some of you guys on this thread, with out ye I would never have given Orange is the New Black a go. It's totally different from the type of show I presumed it would be. One of the best written, funny and ( possibly) realistic shows I've seen in the last few years.I had wrongly assumed that it was going to be like Sex and the City in Prison or some crap like that....how wrong I was.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,260 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

A big thanks to some of you guys on this thread, with out ye I would never have given Orange is the New Black a go. It's totally different from the type of show I presumed it would be. One of the best written, funny and ( possibly) realistic shows I've seen in the last few years.I had wrongly assumed that it was going to be like Sex and the City in Prison or some crap like that....how wrong I was.

Miles better than House of Cards imo. I've three episodes left on season 2 myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭mejulie805

Tried to search the thread to see if anyone has watched Les Revenants - it has already aired on Ch4 though. Loved it.
    Also recently binge watched OITNB couldn't get enough of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

yes i have watched it. No, i wouldnt recommend it, even though i watched all the way through both seasons. its poorly written and poorly acted.

better love story than twilight though

• Registered Users Posts: 14,845 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Started watching The Shield last night, hooked already!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭keith_d99

ShaneU wrote: »
    Started watching The Shield last night, hooked already!

Watch the pilot too ... excellent!!

Back to bare bones though ... SD, 4:3 picture ... ah well! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,306 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

mejulie805 wrote: »
    Tried to search the thread to see if anyone has watched Les Revenants - it has already aired on Ch4 though. Loved it.
    Also recently binge watched OITNB couldn't get enough of it.

Yeah, a good few of us. Link below:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=84836102

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,050 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

folan wrote: »
    yes i have watched it. No, i wouldnt recommend it, even though i watched all the way through both seasons. its poorly written and poorly acted.

better love story than twilight though

I don't think it's particularly poorly written or acted, especially when measured against the yardstick that is "supernatural romance" (or even just "supernatural stories with a romance angle").

I do think the quality dropped on the second season, particularly with an ending that just sort of trundled to a stop as though they ran out of time or something - but despite that I've found it to be more entertainining and less padded-feeling than similar shows like True Blood. Partly I think this is because I quite enjoy the daft bromance between the two male leads, so I guess if that doesn't work for you it's far more likely to grate.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement