Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How on earth did this get top story on the Meath Chronicle website homepage?

Options
  • 23-02-2012 1:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭

Linked here but this story is the home page top story on the meathchronicle.ie website currently!

Seriously?

I dont know who to be more angry with... the meath chronicle for printing this crap or the councillors in Trim town council who took time out to debate it!

The mysterious case of the fading echo at local landmark

Profile by Noelle Finegan

Rita Dempsey and Shirley Hannon test out the echo at Trim's Echo Gate.

Where has the echo gone?

Generations of Trim people recall as youngsters stopping at Trim's Echo Gate for a shout across the Boyne towards the medieval ruins and their delight to hear their voices bounce back. It's a tradition that is not as common as it once was, but is that because the echo just isn't as good as it used to be?

At last week's monthly meeting of Trim Town Council, cathaoirleach Cllr James O'shea raised the matter and said he did not believe the echo was as good as it once was - and that a number of people had said this to him.

He said the Echo Gate was a major local attraction and they should do whatever they can to make a feature of it. "When I was growing up, there was a great echo," he said. Cllr Gerry Reilly suggested that perhaps it was because the trees in the area had grown higher and were absorbing the sound more.

To read the full story, see this week's Meath Chronicle on sale now.

Noelle Finegan, fair dues to you for reporting this to show up the so called public representatives on the trim town council... but how the hell did this get on the papers site homepage as a top story?

* I want to say something other than so called public representatives... but find myself gritting my teeth and holding back on commenting! :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭DEVEREUX

Ha ha, that's real life father ted stuff ya got there.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 fiddler09

"When I was growing up, there was a great echo," he said. Cllr Gerry Reilly suggested that perhaps it was because the trees in the area had grown higher and were absorbing the sound more."

Would it ever occur to the esteemed Cllr that he has aged (considerably I might add), and his hearing has declined?

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭INCONFIDENCE

I think you are very unfair to Noelle from the Meath Chronicle she does not dictate the agenda of Trim Town Council. When they deal in trivia should she not also report it instead of making out Trim Town Council to be a bunch of intellectuals.She would be wrong to censor the reporting of Trim Town Council. For too long we have given respectability to the local busy body / councillor. If you ever work in local media you will find out they spend most of their time on rubbish as they have no power. The only ones I felt ever put in the effort were the Independents. They others were mainly along to support the party .I know it is hard to believe but the loss of the echo at the Echo Gate will be a bigger talking point in Trim than the Troika...............Why because they can relate to it. If you want a nights mind numbing enjoyment Trim Town Council meets on the 2nd Tuesday of each month admission is free .Its like the Muppet Show BRING THE KIDS!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

I think you are very unfair to Noelle from the Meath Chronicle she does not dictate the agenda of Trim Town Council. When they deal in trivia should she not also report it instead of making out Trim Town Council to be a bunch of intellectuals.She would be wrong to censor the reporting of Trim Town Council. For too long we have given respectability to the local busy body / councillor. If you ever work in local media you will find out they spend most of their time on rubbish as they have no power. The only ones I felt ever put in the effort were the Independents. They others were mainly along to support the party .I know it is hard to believe but the loss of the echo at the Echo Gate will be a bigger talking point in Trim than the Troika...............Why because they can relate to it. If you want a nights mind numbing enjoyment Trim Town Council meets on the 2nd Tuesday of each month admission is free .Its like the Muppet Show BRING THE KIDS!!!!!

Fair enough... point taken, maybe i am being a bit too harsh on the lady for reporting it... but you have to admit...

It is the top story on the meath chronicle website!

Besides the professionals in the council :mad: and the story itself, does anyone else find this nuts that it is a top story?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

If you want a nights mind numbing enjoyment Trim Town Council meets on the 2nd Tuesday of each month admission is free .Its like the Muppet Show BRING THE KIDS!!!!!

Actually, I always wondered were these open to the public, are they open to all? Where and what time are they on?

• Advertisement

The show as I mentioned is the second Tuesday of every month. Next one is March 13th at 8pm. It is in Mornington House which is where Atlantic 252 used to be. It s the large old house and council offices next door to the Castle Arch Hotel. Fancy dress is optional and as no refreshments are available bring you may want to bring a Pizza and a few beers.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭umpire bat

Is Rick O Shea the cathaoirleach ?
    Dusty Rhodes is how the streets will be with the current attitude form the authorities.

Great someone with a sense of humour. I was wondering how to knock some crack out of the very serious nerds and college boys on Boards.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

In all fairness it's a serious problem.

The Echo Gate is a major tourist attraction in Co. Meath. People come from all over the world Europe UK Ireland Meath parish to experience it.

If the quality of the echo is deteriorating then it should be discussed at National, no International level.

Motions should be passed, votes taken, committees formed, reports made and tribunals set up.

In fact we should start a campaign - "Bring Back the Echo".....*runs off to start a facebook page*

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭nowuckenfurries

down-with-this-sort-of-thing1.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 cvwallace

This is a serious concern! The Echo Gate is one of the top ten alternative attractions in Ireland!
    http://www.meath.ie/Tourism/EventsFestivalsandNews/PastEvents2008/Name,30794,en.html

So glad it made it in above 'houses with crazy erections'...

Advertisement