Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need HELP with camper insurance in Europe

• 23-02-2012 1:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35

Hi guys. Tried to search for an answer to my question on this forum, but couldnt find anything so here I go:

Im stuck. I dont know what to do. Want to head off with the girlfriend to Europe in a few weeks time, we got the camper, we have all sorted and ready, got the ferry ticket ... but we have no insurance yet.

We want to go for 8 months. Is there any insurance company in Ireland that will insure a camper for more than 31 days continental European use? Thats how long Stuarts Insurances cover you for, rang them a few days ago.

Thanks for your help!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭DVD2009

have you tried dolmen... i thought the normal camper ins covered europe ..????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭niloc1951

The Dolmen (AXA) policy has no limitation on time in Europe, in 2010 we spent over five months there.
    BTW it also includes roadside recovery / breakdown service throughout Europe (personal experience)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 razvan_ghetau

DVD2009 wrote: »
    have you tried dolmen... i thought the normal camper ins covered europe ..????

thanks for getting back to me. I havent tried them. I did go on their website, but couldnt find any info on it in their terms and conditions

niloc1951 wrote: »
    The Dolmen (AXA) policy has no limitation on time in Europe, in 2010 we spent over five months there.
    BTW it also includes roadside recovery / breakdown service throughout Europe (personal experience)

Thanks :) very comforting to know. Did you have a major breakdown or did they fix it on the side of the road?

Thanks :) very comforting to know. Did you have a major breakdown or did they fix it on the side of the road?

While parked at the Aire in the Rep.of San Marino one of the wheel valves let go, it was a wet night and my MH is over 3.5t so I asked for roadside assistance who duly arrived forty minutes later and changed the wheel for me. No cash changed hands, though I did give him a bottle of wine for his troubles.

The wheels all had the wrong type of valve, rubber instead of bolt in metal. Apparently rubber type valves are not up to the job when CP tyres, which can be inflated up to 5.5 bar, are fitted. All four were replaced next day for €60, including balancing.
    The rubber type had been fitted by my local FIAT main dealer when they supplied four FIAT alloys shortly after I purchased the vehicle :eek:

• Advertisement

While parked at the Aire in the Rep.of San Marino one of the wheel valves let go, it was a wet night and my MH is over 3.5t so I asked for roadside assistance who duly arrived forty minutes later and changed the wheel for me. No cash changed hands, though I did give him a bottle of wine for his troubles.

The wheels all had the wrong type of valve, rubber instead of bolt in metal. Apparently rubber type valves are not up to the job when CP tyres, which can be inflated up to 5.5 bar, are fitted. All four were replaced next day for €60, including balancing.
    The rubber type had been fitted by my local FIAT main dealer when they supplied four FIAT alloys shortly after I purchased the vehicle :eek:

Thats not good. A main dealer should know better. You live and learn :) So dolmen should be grand youre saying. Going to ring them and see what they say. Stuarts will only cover you for 31 days whilst in europe . they look at your ferry tickets to see when you went out in case of a claim, that what somebody told me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,030 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Hi guys. Tried to search for an answer to my question on this forum, but couldnt find anything so here I go:

Im stuck. I dont know what to do. Want to head off with the girlfriend to Europe in a few weeks time, we got the camper, we have all sorted and ready, got the ferry ticket ... but we have no insurance yet.

We want to go for 8 months. Is there any insurance company in Ireland that will insure a camper for more than 31 days continental European use? Thats how long Stuarts Insurances cover you for, rang them a few days ago.

Thanks for your help!!!

By law all EU motor insurance policies have to offer the minimum level required for the EEA country. Your Fully comp/Fire and theft will expire after the time set by the company but you still have valid insurance.

Only really any use if the motor home isn't worth much.

Del2005 wrote: »
    By law all EU motor insurance policies have to offer the minimum level required for the EEA country. Your Fully comp/Fire and theft will expire after the time set by the company but you still have valid insurance.

The AXA motorhome specific policy provided by Dolmens does include full comprehensive cover for the full duration of travel in Europe, the policy makes no mention of a time limitation.

The AXA motorhome specific policy provided by Dolmens does include full comprehensive cover for the full duration of travel in Europe, the policy makes no mention of a time limitation.
    Dont know what to thing now :( Niloc, thanks for the help anyway. Would be great if someone would read their dolmen paperwork and confirm whether theres no time limit.

Im 23 years old. Rang them today and they said that they will UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCE insure anyone under 25, even as a named driver. Now Im really stuck. This insurance thing Is, in my opinion, ridiculous. Stuarts would insure me as a named driver no problem, dolmen wont.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

Im 23 years old. Rang them today and they said that they will UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCE insure anyone under 25, even as a named driver. Now Im really stuck. This insurance thing Is, in my opinion, ridiculous. Stuarts would insure me as a named driver no problem, dolmen wont.

Part time trader insurance?

moodrater wrote: »
    Part time trader insurance?
    What is that, sorry ? thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Morgan The Moon

Hi, I regularly travel six to eight months Europe out as far as Turkey. Have a word with Bill and Motorhome Club of Ireland. If he will let you join, their insurance will cover you 365 days with no trip limit. But you can not full time. The also offer breakdown recovery. May be of help.

Hi, I regularly travel six to eight months Europe out as far as Turkey. Have a word with Bill and Motorhome Club of Ireland. If he will let you join, their insurance will cover you 365 days with no trip limit. But you can not full time. The also offer breakdown recovery. May be of help.
    What insurance company is that? Thanks

Del2005 wrote: »

Yes , i`m just after finding that out recently. You have to be really carefull though not to get involved in an accident though. Still didnt get the insurance yet, today or tommorow. Got stuarts to cover us comprehensive for 6 months. They wont do any longer than that though.Too bad im not 25. What is funny is that ill be almost 25 when i come back :)

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Morgan The Moon

Hi, The insurance is only available to club members, www.motorhomeclubireland.com to join you would have to have a word with Bill. He may help you out.

Hi, The insurance is only available to club members, www.motorhomeclubireland.com to join you would have to have a word with Bill. He may help you out.
    Will do. Thanks for the tip :) Appreciated

The site is not working. Ill try again , but it says problem loading page. No luck

found it. its www.motorcaravanclub.net
    Thanks for the help :)

It's up to yourself if you wish to join the above club, but, it is not necessary to get the insurance mentioned.
    Dolmen, who provide an AXA policy specially for campers, offer full European comprehensive cover, no time limit, bail bond for Spain, and breakdown/recovery Europe wide. The policy also offers good cover for extras like awnings, sat dishes, contents etc against accidental damage.
    I have the policy and am not a member of the club mentioned.

• Advertisement

It's up to yourself if you wish to join the above club, but, it is not necessary to get the insurance mentioned.
    Dolmen, who provide an AXA policy specially for campers, offer full European comprehensive cover, no time limit, bail bond for Spain, and breakdown/recovery Europe wide. The policy also offers good cover for extras like awnings, sat dishes, contents etc against accidental damage.
    I have the policy and am not a member of the club mentioned.
    that club (motorcaravanclub.net) deals with allianz insurances, not with axa. i know that dolmen do the no time limit insurance, but they wont insure under 25s , even if theyre named drivers.

Advertisement