Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Have you ever fired a gun?

• 23-02-2012 2:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭

Have you ever fired a gun?

Have you fired a gun? 281 votes

I have
    0% 0 votes
    I have not
    100% 281 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Babybuff

yesh,many many times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Does Quazar count?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

yes. i fired many a water pistol when i was a child.

have you op?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭AngryBollix

My guns are awesome

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Johnny Foreigner

yes. i fired many a water pistol when i was a child.

have you op?

My father taught me how to clean, load, and fire a gun when I was a child. I also learned how to load it blindfolded, and with one hand.
    I have fired shotguns and handguns over the years.
    A Purdey shotgun, and Smith and Wesson revolver being the most memorable.
    When I was in the high Tatras mountains in Slovakia, a soldier patrolling the border between Poland and Slovakia let me fire his HK417.
    We were up there checking it out as a possible smuggling route at the time.
    I never carried a gun, but when I worked as a doorman in London I wore a ballistic vest. I had bottles and knives pulled on me over the years but never a gun though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brendog

I always empty the bullets out of it before a date. Never leave one in the chamber, its embarrassing.

I shot a spider, a lizard and tin cans in trees don't think I killed anything though

Babybuff wrote: »
    I shot a spider, a lizard and tin cans in trees don't think I killed anything though

Did this gun shoot cotton wool or something?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,664 ✭✭✭policarp

Yes I have, but why are you asking?

Sacramento wrote: »
    Did this gun shoot cotton wool or something?

pellets :o air rifle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

Used to go fox hunting when i was around 11/12, always had a bruise on my shoulder from the shotgun recoil. My PE teacher probably thought my parents were beating me though.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Once. A .44 magnum. Nearly blew my wrist off me the first time but then I knew what to expect from their on in. Addictive, too addictive..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Allround Predator

Yes, when I was in the army I fired a whole range of weapons from a Steyr AUG to the FN FAL, Iv also got to fire a Bren light machine gun, it has some kick out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭wilkie2006

I went to a "shooting range" (well, a field) in Cambodia and they gave me this old Chinese handgun to fire. I don't know a thing about guns but it looked so old and wrecked that I was expecting it to blow up in my face. Like a typical male idiot, I pretended it was all a great laugh and used up all the bullets so the locals wouldn't think I was some pampered, Western pussy. I was delighted when I put the fcuking thing down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭deise go deo

Yes, An Assualt rifle and a machinegun.

pew pew I love guns

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Fuck yeah!

I done a drive-by clay pigeon mutha****az

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

yup, feels great

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

Zzzzzap! Zzzzzap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Yes, some shot guns and some rifles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Yeah. Shotgun.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭scooby2791

Yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

Shotguns yeah. What an odd question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 592 ✭✭✭kieranfitz

Yup, handguns, shotguns, rifles, machine guns and sub machine guns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

I know what you're thinking: 'Did he fire six shots or only five?' Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I've kinda lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Yep, lots of 'em when I lived in the States, usually at a gun range in the 'burbs, or water melons and water balloons on a friends farm out in the stix. Glocks, Magnums, Walters, Colts, Berettas...shot 'em all. I broke my thumb when I was a kid and it never quite healed. The recoil from the Magnums and Colts fooking killed my hand pain wise. Had to switch to the girly guns after a while. It was never quite so much fun after that, even if I was shooting James Bonds beloved Walther PPK for the most part.

The gun range that we went to has a fabulous collection of old WW1 & WW2 pistols. You could rent them by the hour to shoot. That was a trip ! I shot one gun that dated from 1916. It was weird holding and shooting a type of gun that could very well have been used in the 1916 Easter Rising.

The range was in your average suburban strip mall. There was a nail salon on one side and hair loss clinic clinic on the other. The staff and clients of both never batted an eye lid at all the comings and goings of people with these odd shaped bags slung over their shoulders. Only in America ! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Nope. I'd like to though, just to see what it's like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

everything from .22 pistol to hunting rifle, even an old rusty ak....

has to be said though, a silenced .22 would be an absolute beast for self defence ( though silencer and other cool bits and pieces would be quite pricey these days ).

Always wanted to shoot a tec9 or Steyr AUG ( long mag, 30's wont kill enough innocent peoples.... Or politicans. )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Yep, O&U shotgun and a rifle. Never killed anything, just target shooting, good craic :)

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭dave3004

Back in Nam I used an M1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Mitch Buchannon

I have had the chance to use a few guns....

Double Barrel Shotgun
    Pump action Shotgun
    .22 rifle
    AR15 Bushmaster
    M16
    AK47
    MP5
    Glock 17
    SIG Sauer P226
    Black Powder Musket

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

Ak47
    M16
    Glock (sp?)
    Magnum
    Side by side shot gun
    Sniper rifle (no idea of make)
    Pump action shotgun

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭travelledpengy

something I've always wanted to do, just to see what it's like!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

KeithM89 wrote: »
    Used to go fox hunting when i was around 11/12, always had a bruise on my shoulder from the shotgun recoil. My PE teacher probably thought my parents were beating me though.

He seen you with your top off?

Mt PE teacher thought I was a terrible kisser.:)

I was going to rob a gun before. Nearly got away with it. The chap in the shop turned around as I was going for it. It was some sort of handgun.

Probably wouldn't of gotten it back into the country any way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Yeah, in Nam!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 365 ✭✭wardy2

Once in Orlando Florida ,went to a gun range and got a 44 magnum and couple of targets with it.There was a good kick off it.

i'd felt like a pro because all the training from ''call of duty'':cool:

There was alot of forms to fill out and copy's of passports, just to hold a gun,and I think it was around $50 total for two people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    Yeah, in Nam!

You were in 'Nam?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Shot my first gun about 2 weeks ago, quite a power rush :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Yeah i did once when i was 15. Nearly shot a cow dead though instead of the can i was aiming at though, never tried it since but thinking of buying a gun sometime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

When I was about 8, one of my sisters and I used to steal the shotgun from my Dad's room and play with a weird version of Hide and Go Seek with it. She'd be Bambi, frolicking away from up the stairs while I counted to 10, and I'd be a deer hunter, roaming the house trying to find her... inevitably chasing her with the shotgun until she started crying.

One morning when thinking my folks were outside, I was half way up the stairs with the shotgun, when I met my Mum on her way down in her dressing gown. Needless to say I got the bollocking of my life, but Bambi was spared.

I've shot a shotgun a few times since that, but I've a poor shot and I tend to get terribly wet and distracted with chatting to people/ landmarks/ terrain when shooting, so I don't find it a lot of fun. Some people say golf is a waste of a good walk, for me that applies even moreso to shooting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

Fired over and under and side by side shotguns. I've done a lot of shooting with a scoped .22 rifle on the farm. Fecking crows!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭the scrote

shotgun
    sa80
    gpmg
    belt fed grenade launcher
    best of all was a 50 cal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Yeah, some while hunting and some in the army.
    I've even fired a cannon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 362 ✭✭SheFiend

Yes, shotguns and rifles.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭robertowjr

Oh yes! Kinda miss that.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Shotguns
    Various 22 rifles.
    AK47
    M16
    Mauser C96(chambered for 9mm rounds, great bloody gun).
    Semi auto UZI
    Colt "peacemaker" 45
    Colt 1911
    SIG pistol dunno what model
    Ruger pistol chambered for 44 magnum
    Thompson machine gun "Tommy gun" Now that fooker was a room clearer, even more than the AK and very cool looking. Pretty OK recoil too.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Arnold Layne

Many years ago in the FCA - Artillery, I fired a .303 rifle and also a Bren gun.

Does being in a 25 pounder gun crew also count?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I have fired many a gun. I love it. I love the initial rush of picking it up, checking the chamber, smelling the gun oil (usually WD40), making sure the mechanism and cocking works. Then the excitement of loading the rounds into the magazine, one by one, knowing that in a short few moments these little beauties will be giving you a buzz like no other. Next up, loading, inserting the mag into the gun and hearing that pleasant click, signifying that the time is near. Take position. Aim. Safety off. Adrenaline. FIRE! *pleasant shudder*

I've fired a SIG, FN FAL, Steyr, Bren, GPMG, 50cal HMG, and the daddy of all guns, the BOFOR! Oh what a thrill firing that weapon! Rounds as long as your arm and twice the width! YURT!

• Advertisement
Advertisement