Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Have you ever fired a gun?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

yeah fired some shotguns in the uk.

then in the US i went to a range and fired a number of weapons, was a glock handgun, an m16 with a laser sight, some other ones i don't remember.

one stood out, the magnum 44 which i asked for due to the dirty harry links.
    jesus i've never got such a fright when i fired it. all the other guns were not as powerful as i'd imagined but this thing was like a bomb going off, fired one shot and wanted to go home, managed to pluck up the courage to empty it. i'm 6ft solid guy and i couldn't control it in any meaningful way. scary but great experience though :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Dr conrad murray

yes, i fired the styr assault rifle when i was in the FCA/RDF

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

Not a proper one. Just pellet guns and the like. I would like to though. You offering?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Cassidy28

I try and get out to shoot pheasant a few times every season whenever i can, its very relaxing and the springer loves it aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

Shot a seal about 35 years ago. On mature reflection I still feel guilty.
    Never shot a living thing since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Mance Rayder

My Dad hunted alot, He thought me how to service the (licenced) shotgun and I did this quite a bit. I shot it a few times, the recoil used to hurt my shoulder as I was only about 12. He supervised me of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭wyndhurst

M16 & 9mm Handgun in Las Vegas
    AK47, M4 Carbine & assorted WW2 bolt action rifles while in Virginia.

Great craic once you get over the initial fear. Was shi**ing myself the first time I fired live rounds from an assault rifle. The range was full of mad bastards toting all sorts of gear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭greenpilot

I have a licenced Ruger 10/22 semi-auto which I use for competitions....not allowed use it outside the range though....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭downwithpeace

Yes and my aim was terrible every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭girl in the striped socks

Yep, shotguns & rifles.
    Don't know the names of them though. I never really took that much of an interest.
    I think there's two locked away in the gun safe.
    Shooting rabbits or foxes is not on the top of my list of things to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭annascott

Yes. Clay pigeon shooting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Cassidy28 wrote: »
    I try and get out to shoot pheasant a few times every season whenever i can, its very relaxing and the springer loves it aswell.

...and pheasant doesn't taste bad at all, at all either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Mance Rayder

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

just airsoft and paintball, no real ones yet. Brother does have a few hundred euro voucher for the shooting range though ^^

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

No, though a small part of me would like to, in a firing range or something though, never at a living being.

Don't really know where the urge is coming from as I'm terrified of guns. Even a cop at an airport with a gun scares the life out of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I'd like to be able to carry a piece with me when I go about my daily business, I believe its a good persuasion tool while dealing with difficult people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭CountryJoe

An AK47, expensive enough though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

DON'T READ THIS IF YOU ARE AN ANIMAL LOVER.

When my nephew left college and was doing his "I couldn't really be arsed looking for a job just yet" tour of Asia, he came across a bunch of, lets call them " local entrepreneurs" in Vietnam. They had a boatload of US army weaponry & ammo left over from the war. They operated near the temples and whatnot that tourists go to. Their sales pitch was that for X amount of dollars they would give you Y live animal to shoot at until it died a very dead death. The more money you were willing to pony up (no pun intended) the bigger the guns and animals got.

Nephew claims he blew a water buffalo half way to Australia come with a rocket launcher, or what ever those things are that are supposed to shoot down helicopters. Said local entrepreneurs allow no pix to be taken of these shenanigans, so nephew has no proof of his deeds. But I have been itching to jump on a plane to Vietnam ever since.

I know, I know, I'm a horrible person. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

Fired an AK47 on single shot before. Almost had to lean into the thing to counter the recoil, feck knows what it would have been like on full auto!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

I didnt fire one per say.. Gave it the option of voluntary redundancy (which it accepted)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 riseown

I didn\t for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭treborflynn

plenty a guns here in the safe beside me in the bedroom, only for hunting and sporting purposes tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Fired a Gustov machine gun several years back, Its old and heavy with a strong kick back and it used 9mm bullets, I fired some handgun but I'm sure the ammo was only pellets It was indoor anyway so it obviously wasn't real bullets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Sindri wrote: »
    You were in 'Nam?
    Yep! You don't know man, you weren't there!

Think it was an M-?6? or something I fired, semi-auto type, not sure. Also wanted a go at an AK-47 but didn't have the time.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

InTheTrees wrote: »
    I've been very tempted by one of these.

Or a HK, but they're about a grand more expensive than the SIG.

http://www.hk-usa.com/civilian_products/mr556_general.asp

The SIG has the best trigger I've ever encountered on a non-match rifle. Beautifully smooth. Inside it's the closest thing to a precision-built AK-47 you'll find. Mine is an early version with the somewhat ugly and decidedly heavy 'fishgill' foregrips, you might be better off looking for a 'classic' version or one of the aftermarket rail systems. Only reason I've not done the latter is that I didn't have a couple hundred to spare on it recently.

Folding stock is also more traditional and looks better than the collapsible on mine, unfortunately California's laws are a bit unfortunate and I'm not allowed use one.

NTM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

This is reminding me of that chant from Full Metal Jacket.

"This is my rifle, (grabs crotch) this is my gun,
    one is for fighting, one is for fun!"

In answer to your question, yes, I've fired the old man's .22 a few times at the yellow "high voltage" sign on an electricity pole in the field behind our house, it was when we we were getting new windows at the back, had a great crow's nest over the windowsill!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

Manic always wins these kind of threads :pac:

The weapons I've fired/used

Steyr
    M203
    GPMG
    SRAAW
    I've thrown grenades
    84mm Gustav
    GPMG SF
    60mm Mortar
    81mm Mortar
    Bren

To anyone on this thread that's fired a 1911, I hate you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 129 ✭✭Rangi

poccington,is that the Colt 1911A1? Fired thousands of rounds through them. One day I was up the range and an old fella gave me a bag of about 300 WW2 dated rounds and said "Get rid of them will ya",so I happily obliged.

Fired many,many weapons,but an interesting and memorable one was a Boys anti tank rifle,unfortunatley it had been rebarrelled to .50bmg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

point three o three full metal jacket.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Molloys Clondalkin

Galil
    Barak
    Jericho
    corner shot
    Uzi (1958 with wooden stock )
    Uzi (1988 with folding stock )
    Tavor
    xm177
    Mag
    colt 1911 (was my fav)
    some tinkered m4 variants
    same as above but in long barrell ar180 hacks

recieved a .22 in the arm
    and never even seen a desert eagle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Molloys Clondalkin

The SIG has the best trigger I've ever encountered on a non-match rifle. Beautifully smooth. Inside it's the closest thing to a precision-built AK-47 you'll find. Mine is an early version with the somewhat ugly and decidedly heavy 'fishgill' foregrips, you might be better off looking for a 'classic' version or one of the aftermarket rail systems. Only reason I've not done the latter is that I didn't have a couple hundred to spare on it recently.

Folding stock is also more traditional and looks better than the collapsible on mine, unfortunately California's laws are a bit unfortunate and I'm not allowed use one.

NTM

Move to arizona!!

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭veritable

Have had the pleasure of firing a .38, .45, 9mm, AR-15, as well as the 1945 Soviet SKS45 rifle.

I own 2 SKS's,one is still in the factory grease. The other is WELL used!
    Unfortunately they're in another country,but i get to visit them and rest of collection every few years.

A friend of a friend had the SKS in a range in Chicago. It was difficult to keep the aim down for a novice like me but it felt good to fire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,812 ✭✭✭✭looksee

In my yoof (around 1965) my church youth club went to the local army barracks and were allowed to use their practise range (rifles, not sure what sort :rolleyes:) Just another of those things that would not happen these days.

They're great on the goats. Fave rifles of mine I have culled goats with are SMLE,Mini-14,and SKS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

How surprising. In a forum full of teenage and early 20s city slickers, many of whom havent yet had relations with a woman, the vast vast majority have fired a gun! :rolleyes:

God I love internet bullshít!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

A .22 a few times, my old winchester and a few other shotguns,Gustav SMG and BAP both 9mm.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Ben Hadad

Only ever fired a Kalashnikov rifle. The crazy Pashtuns didn't give me anything for my ears though, so my left ear drum was ringing for about three days.

Agricola wrote: »
    How surprising. In a forum full of teenage and early 20s city slickers, many of whom havent yet had relations with a woman, the vast vast majority have fired a gun! :rolleyes:

And I love your complete absence of funniness. Find another thread to troll.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,812 ✭✭✭✭looksee

No, the vast majority who responded have fired a gun. Its a bit non-news to reply and say you haven't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 831 ✭✭✭daingeanrob

i have, nothing special. have a few friends big into shooting, not for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭storker

Yes, if a Brown Bess flintlock musket counts (powder only, no ball).

Stork

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭downwithpeace

I've had more relations then guns shot, wouldn't change the ratio either but if your calling people on stuff it helps to be correct, are you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Wrap yourself up in your Power Ranger duvet and off to sleep with ya....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

Shooting is a huge part of my life both in and out of work. Rare a week would go by without getting out shooting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,640 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Yes, shotguns/rifles/pistols, nothing like a bit of shooting:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭A.Nolan

unlike women, you don't have to chat up a gun to fire it ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

A.Nolan wrote: »
    unlike women, you don't have to chat up a gun to fire it ;)

Greece, it, oil it, lint it, load it, charge it, squeeze it .......... BAAAMMMMMM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Ah no some of us have maintained, used, abused and been handed all sorts of weapons.

Some of us have even fired them to the detriment of our fellow human beings.

Such is life.

Advertisement