Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Broadband Speeds Halved

Options
  • 23-02-2012 2:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭

Hi,

Started of with 8mb NGB and then shortly after we got upgraded to 15mb for free. Was getting over 14mb down speed.

Ive noticed the speeds have fell in the last few months.
    After I checked the modem setting I'm now getting 9845/765 (kbps)

After doing some speed tests on various days and times im only getting on average 5mb down and 0.22 up

Is there any reason for this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

Hi,

Started of with 8mb NGB and then shortly after we got upgraded to 15mb for free. Was getting over 14mb down speed.

Ive noticed the speeds have fell in the last few months.
    After I checked the modem setting I'm now getting 9845/765 (kbps)

After doing some speed tests on various days and times im only getting on average 5mb down and 0.22 up

Is there any reason for this?

Hi electro-shocks,

Thanks for your post.

Please try the following quick broadband checks.

Temporarily disconnect everything from the phone line: phones, fax machine, Sky Digital TV, or any other equipment connected to the phone line which may interfere with the broadband connection. Remove the splitter and connect the modem directly to the main phone socket. Avoid using a private phone lead (rj11), and just use the standard phone lead that came with your eircom modem.

Test your connection over Ethernet cable only, if possible. You should make sure that you are testing your speed on just one computer; All other computer devices, games consoles, SmartPhones, etc, should be shut down or turned off when testing your Broadband speed.

If possible try to exit out of all running applications on your computer. Sometimes these programmes are difficult to disble or turn off and keep running in the background on your computer. Exit your Anti-virus application and disable your firewall(s) on your computer. You might also check to see if you're running additional sessions on your computer device. If you don't know how to to this, just call into Technical Support and they will advise you how to test for listening and established Tcp/ip and Udp on your computer.

Our broadband checklist can be found on the eircom Community Forum:

Broadband Checklist

If you are still experiencing slow or intermittent connection speeds after completing these quick checks, please call directly into Technical Support. They will need to do some additional broadband checks when you are on the phone with them.

Broadband Technical Support : 1890 260260 (locall); Hours : 08:00 - 22:00 (7 days).

Please retain your case id /reference from Technical Support, as this will speed up your call and help if you need to follow this up. Alternatively, let me know your case id and I will follow this up with Technical Support.

Best wishes,
    Ant

Advertisement