Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If you knew you could make a difference would you?

Options
  • 23-02-2012 2:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭

If you think about it, maybe and maybe not, you're pretty lucky. And if you think you are, could you make a difference.Any small gesture, whether great or small, if you can, try to do it, it could make a difference, whether it's for one day or much longer.

Personally, I'm too self-concerned, but now and then, it's great to do something good for anybody, and realize you made a little difference.

Edit:Sorry for the crap phrasing of original title, cue the onslaught!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭AngryBollix

no. i hate everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Watermelons are green on the outside but red in the middle.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

no. i hate everyone

Change that Angry to a smile you Bollix :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

I sometimes drop my bus change when I see someone running in the distance for said bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

Personally I know a difference but have tried to many to make a come down to but that is never but sometimes I will and other times not.

I hope that answers your question.

Great your edit makes my post look nonsensical now!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭AngryBollix

Change that Angry to a smile you Bollix :)

smileybollix doesnt ave the same ring to it

Doc wrote: »
    Personally I know a difference but have tried to many to make a come down to but that is never but sometimes I will and other times not.

I hope that answers your question.

Great your edit makes my post look nonsensical now!!

You’ve got to be kidding me. I’ve been further even more decided to use even go need to do look more as anyone can. Can you really be far even as decided half as much to use go wish for that? My guess is that when one really been far even as decided once to use even go want, it is then that he has really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like. It’s just common sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Babybuff

I love when people speak stupid on the internet. Yes despite the overwhelming feeling of apathy that envelops me right now, course I would even if it was just a difference to one person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Red21

I sometimes drop my bus change when I see someone running in the distance for said bus.
    You've just made a bus load of people late, it's not that easy make a positive differance, try again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭policarp

Deffo.
    There's another thread on here tonight about firing guns.

If I could line Bertie, Fitzpatrick, Cowan, Drumm, Neary, Gilmore, Kenny, Noonan, Harney and Burton up on a wall, I'd have a go at the gun version of ten green bottles. And that would be only be the first verse. . .

• Advertisement

Red21 wrote: »
    You've just made a bus load of people late, it's not that easy make a positive differance, try again.

The trials and tribulations of the dublin bus passenger

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

When you think about it statistically, the most fortunate in terms of avoiding poverty and achieving a level of personal wealth almost inconceivable to billions of human beings are (i) white (ii) male (iii) middle class (iv) born in Europe, Australia, North America or of Caucasian descent living elsewhere.

Those of us who qualify for all of the above must count ourselves extremely lucky. In terms of being born into a favourable position, we hit the jackpot when we were born.

I don't know the exact figure, but surely we cannot be more than about 250 million in a world of 7 billion who fit into this category.

I think most of us would consider that any such preset preferential treatment afforded to white, western, middle class (and usually male) children is wrong, and that the notion of one child being set up for a superior quality of life as his birthright is the antithesis of equality. And if we believe in tackling inequality, we have a duty to promote and engage with the cause of those who were born into a different set of circumstances to their later detriment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

I spend the greater part of my life worrying about other people.

And when that worry is particularly intense I usually end up resolved to help them. I'm talking about my immediate family members. For instance I have resolved myself to stay in Ireland and live close by my father, as I fear he will not live long past 70, and that he will be lonely, very lonely, once he retires. I can't let that happen. He may die before 70, but I can't allow him to be lonely.

Even strangers I spend quite a while helping and I find it very hard, very very hard, to walk by people, like the homeless, who may need help.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

No. I'd make a poo and throw it at them like an angry monkey.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

My tendency is to help people i know and like and not so much strangers. I'm very sceptical about the true effectiveness of practically all organised charities for example - they may well have good intentions but isn't that what the road to hell is paved with, also corruption exists everywhere and who monitors where all that money really goes - a huge proportion ends up either in someone like Mary Davis' bank account as wages and "legitimate" expenses, or to pay the fees of some chuggers agency and so on or else simply in the pockets of the people shaking buckets at you as you leave the shops. I've robbed those buckets myself when i was younger!!
    I don't trust any of them - so i don't give any of them money. Any help i have to give, financial or labour or whatever, will be given directly to someone i know could use it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

Be quiet about such things, silent guardian.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,222 ✭✭✭✭biko

Sometimes I smile at people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

What's in it for me?

And don't gimme the 'you get to help people' boll0cks! I was something tangible! Like money! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,046 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

If I see someone running for a bus, I help them by removing the uncertainty of whether they're going to make it or not, and trip them up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

ejmaztec wrote: »
    If I see someone running for a bus, I help them by removing the uncertainty of whether they're going to make it or not, and trip them up.

FOOOK! :D

fúcking heart attack laughing ej, weak! :D

jesus christ man! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

i dont understand this thread :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

davet82 wrote: »
    i dont understand this thread :(

welcome to AH comedy gold circa 2009, the last time AH was actually funny! :D

Advertisement