Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Smoking Ban

• 23-02-2012 8:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Can anyone tell me if the smoking ban in a workplace is limited to tobacco?
    Could have sworn I saw the law quoted on a sign before and it made the specification.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,807 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

"The smoking of tobacco products in [a place of work] is prohibited." - Tobacco Smoking (Prohibition) Regulations 2003, reg. 2.

What else were you thinking of smoking? While these regulations are confined to tobacco, you'd need to consider whether smoking something else might contravene other legislation, or might simply be disallowed by the person who controls the premises.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tom Young

It also covers snuff and chewing tobacco which is technically not smoked. That might answer or address the source of your query.

Yes. "Smoking" a tobacco produce is defined in the principal legislation (the Public Health (Tobacco) Act 2002) to include sniffing, chewing and sucking.

And "tobacco product" is defined broadly as well. It includes cigarette papers, tubes and fulters manufactured for use in the smoking of tobacco. So if you roll your own, and they don't contain tobacco, the fact that you use cigarette papers or tubes means that what you have rolled is still a "tobacco product", and "smoking" it is prohbited in the workplace.

If you smoke something which is - ahem - not tobacco, using an appliance not designed for smoking tobacco, then you are not "smoking a tobacco product" (though, of course, you might fall foul of other legislation). My first thought was a bong, but any that I have seen for sale have all been labelled "for use with tobacco only" or something similar, which in this context might prove awkward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

The Aussies have it well covered on public transport notices:

"Smoking of any substance is prohibited"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 NeutralMilk

Thanks.

Link to this definition of "tobacco products"?

Also, I'm assuming vapourization is not mentioned anywhere and is therefore completely legal. Would this be correct?

• Advertisement

Link to this definition of "tobacco products"?
    Here you go: http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2002/en/act/pub/0006/sec0002.html#sec2
    Also, I'm assuming vapourization is not mentioned anywhere and is therefore completely legal. Would this be correct?
    What are you going to do with the vapour? I think if you ingest it orally or nasally that would be "smoking", as defined in the section just linked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Interestingly (and slightly off topic perhaps) I have been on planes where people have been using vaporising "cigarettes" and was slightly interested in them being allowed.

Advertisement