Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

6 year old who still sucks a dummy

• 23-02-2012 10:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭

Dropping my niece to school this morning i witnessed the oddest thing.

A child in uniform got out of the car with a dummy in his mouth!!!:mad: The mother then took the dummy off him , gave him his bag and he walked into the school. When i arrived at my nieces class to inform the teacher that her mothers away and im collecting her at the end of the day(they strict about it) i saw the dummy child in the class

So basically hes a 6 year old who still sucks a dummy

His mother should be shot!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

my sister in law still gives her two kids (4 & 3) dummies... my mother wont let them have them in her house lol...... she keeps telling my sister in law to get rid of them cos the older one now has a terrible lisp cos of those things. he'll get bullied in school if they ever saw him with those god awful filthy things.

my sister has a two year old that stopped using hers after she got her teeth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

What do you do with a child who sucks their thumb?
    It's a comfort thing for lots of children.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

"Sometimes a dummy is just a dummy."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Eroticfishcake

hondasam wrote: »

and some adults :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

I think you've little to be worrying about if you think the mother should be shot over a soother.
    Wouldn't be for me personally having a 6yr old with a soother but I had my bottle til I was 5 and my blankie til I was 8.

When you consider all the harm some parents do to their kids, a soother isn't really up there on the list of things to berate a parent for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭justified

I don't believe in bribery however my parents weened me off excellently. They told me that I would be getting my first bike in X amount of months and the bike shop was special and accepted soothers in exchange for a bike. They continued reminding me in the weeks leading up and i was perfectly happy to be rid of them after all the suspense.
    Cue some poor teenage boy in the shop thinking my mum was insane as she tried to give him a box of soothers and get him to play along :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

A child in uniform got out of the car with a dummy in his mouth!!!:mad: The mother then took the dummy off him , gave him his bag and he walked into the school. When i arrived at my nieces class to inform the teacher that her mothers away and im collecting her at the end of the day(they strict about it) i saw the dummy child in the class

Sounds like the kid has much bigger issues than sucking a dummy

and some adults :o

Exactly at least you can eventually get them to stop the soother but not the thumb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I once saw someone who was about nineteen or twenty sucking a dummy. I think people do this when they're trying to give up smoking. That probably wasn't the case with the six year old though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Maybe they were practicing?

(Again the 19YO, not the 6YO)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

What's the rush to make them grow up? If the child gets comfort from sucking on a soother, let them at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

Kids eh?

Just like farts. You can just about tolerate your own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

pm me details and we arrange a price :cool:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Do you need a picture in order to understand that there were two children in this story, a boy and a girl?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Jagera

The niece isn't the one with the dummy, dummy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

Maybe hes a slight bit autistic , youd never relly notice unless you dealt with some autistic kids. You hear people in supermarkets saying things like jaysus the age of him in a pram or that kid needs a smack . Usually the kid might be a bit special so maybe its best off op you stuck to raising your own neice for the few days you have her and stop judging everyone elses kids on your morning of babysitting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

must read op again, i know it's early, there are 2 kids in the story, the op's niece (girl) and her soother sucking class-mate (boy) :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I sucked a soother until I was 7, didn't do me any harm.

Only at home though, my Mam wouldn't let me take it to school ;-;

I had a bit gap between my top and bottom teeth but that went away when I stopped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

It could be worse. He could still be sucking his ma's tit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭u_c_thesecond

cloptrop wrote: »
    Maybe hes a slight bit autistic , youd never relly notice unless you dealt with some autistic kids. You hear people in supermarkets saying things like jaysus the age of him in a pram or that kid needs a smack . Usually the kid might be a bit special so maybe its best off op you stuck to raising your own neice for the few days you have her and stop judging everyone elses kids on your morning of babysitting.

Not that its any of your business but i have two family members with autistic children and they dont suck a dummy

And my point was more of the fact the mother left him stand outside the school in his uniform with the dummy in his mouth for everyone else to see- if i saw it other kids did too and that leads to bullying

get off your high horse!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

phasers wrote: »

I had a bit gap between my top and bottom teeth but that went away when I closed my mouth.

FYP

WTF does sucking a soother have to do with a child being autistic?
    FYP
    My school pictures say otherwise :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

Yeah it is just as bad but takes more work to stop as you can just stop buying the dummies. Thumb sucking left me needing braces because my parents werent bothered to say no I'm going to stop this, the dummy thing is rare I see a lot more parents pacifying their children with crisps or sweets to be quiet or if they get upset no wonder we have so many emotional eaters, children after a certain age don't need things to comfort them, you have to let them get to a stage where they learn how to self sooth without a blanket, dummy, crisps etc. "oh but she loves her _______" :mad:

stovelid wrote: »
    It could be worse. He could still be sucking his ma's tit.

nah, them kids are lucky suckers ;)

And my point was more of the fact the mother left him stand outside the school in his uniform with the dummy in his mouth for everyone else to see- if i saw it other kids did too and that leads to bullying

get off your high horse!

It might lead to bullying and then again the boy might not be bothered at all.
    The other option is the mother is hoping he will throw it away if someone sees him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Did princess Di not suck on a Dodi? And she was what age?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

None of that here thx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

You know who else sucks a dummy ?

Enda Kennys Wife.

saa wrote: »
    Yeah it is just as bad but takes more work to stop as you can just stop buying the dummies. Thumb sucking left me needing braces because my parents werent bothered to say no I'm going to stop this, the dummy thing is rare I see a lot more parents pacifying their children with crisps or sweets to be quiet or if they get upset no wonder we have so many emotional eaters, children after a certain age don't need things to comfort them, you have to let them get to a stage where they learn how to self sooth without a blanket, dummy, crisps etc. "oh but she loves her _______" :mad:

Im sure your parents tried to stop you but you would not stop for them, seriously it's like trying to give up anything we like, takes time. what age were you when you stopped sucking your thumb?
    You often find when people get tired they still have the tendency to put their thumb in or near their mouth.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Give him another year and he'll be sucking someone else's dummy!

* According to another thread here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

Not that its any of your business but i have two family members with autistic children and they dont suck a dummy

get off your high horse!

Im not saying every autistic kid sucks a dummy , but some are harder to train to do whatever you think is the social norm . You are the one on high horse , thinking the kid needs to do as you seem fit. Its attitudes like yours that lead your children to bullying. If the parents werent tutt tutting in the car all the way home the kids wouldnt see any reason to slag the kid.

Im not saying every autistic kid sucks a dummy , but some are harder to train to do whatever you think is the social norm . You are the one on high horse , thinking the kid needs to do as you seem fit.

Its attitudes like yours that lead your children to bullying. If the parents werent tutt tutting in the car all the way home the kids wouldnt see any reason to slag the kid.

Train? seriously?

I never opened my mouth to my niece about the boy and his dummy- and IF i had children i wouldnt be talking about it around them

Its ok though you have already decided what kind of parent ill be before ive even had them!!!

And by the way- children see dummies as whats babies use- so believe me that boy will be bullied over this- and its nothing to do with people "tut tutting" either!

the mother left him stand outside the school in his uniform with the dummy in his mouth for everyone else to see- if i saw it other kids did too and that leads to bullying

that could be easily sorted out by the mother replacing the dummy with a cigarette, he would then win the respect of his peers... case closed :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

seamus wrote: »
    What's the rush to make them grow up? If the child gets comfort from sucking on a soother, let them at it.

At that age it is damaging their teeth esp the adult teeth which will start to come in, it can cause speak delays and problems forming certain words and it over stimulates the slivia glands which means the child will want to eat more and may have issues with drooling. No child should really have a soother/dummy much past the age of 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

Maybe hes a slight bit autistic , youd never relly notice unless you dealt with some autistic kids.

I would know many autistic kids, I have an child who has autism and none of them have a soother past the age of 4. Your taking utter rubbish.

• Advertisement

Its ok though you have already decided what kind of parent ill be before ive even had them!!!

Well you've already decided what type of mother this woman is before even knowing the first thing about her. The joys of parenting wha?
    Everyone knows how to parent your kids except you.

ash23 wrote: »
    Well you've already decided what type of mother this woman is before even knowing the first thing about her. The joys of parenting wha?
    Everyone knows how to parent your kids except you.

Fair point- but she setting the child up to be bullied by letting stand outside the school sucking a dummy, kids are cruel and if he gets bullied she hasnt helped him.

Sharrow wrote: »
    At that age it is damaging their teeth esp the adult teeth which will start to come in, it can cause speak delays and problems forming certain words and it over stimulates the slivia glands which means the child will want to eat more and may have issues with drooling. No child should really have a soother/dummy much past the age of 3.
    None of those things happened to me. My brother however, who never sucked a soother, has awful teeth and had to have braces for three years. And my other brother had to have speech therapy when he was younger and had a lot of problems with dribbling.

I was actually the only one not to have any problems like that :pac: except for the gap which went away within a few months of stopping.

I could just be an exception though, has there been research done on this?

Not all parents or children are the same, who is to say what is right for anyone's child. Most parents do what they think is right for their children.
    Even people who have the best intentions before the baby is born change their mind at 2am when baby is screaming.

Fair point- but she setting the child up to be bullied by letting stand outside the school sucking a dummy, kids are cruel and if he gets bullied she hasnt helped him.

This is not necessarily true, for all we know all his friends might have soothers.
    Like I said it might be her way of getting him of it, this morning could be the first time she did this.
    Not all kids get bullied and not all kids are bullies but I see you point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I disagree with dummys in general. IMO they serve no purpose that can't be overcome with a bit of patience. No child is born with a dummy in their mouth, and no child needs a dummy. They are a crutch that take forever to wean kids off, can cause damage to teeth, and look f*cking stupid.

One of my brothers' sent his kid to creche at the age of 1, never having had a dummy, and a couple of days later discovered that the creche had been giving him one, and they actually had the nerve to give out to my brother for not supplying one!

kylith wrote: »
    I disagree with dummys in general. IMO they serve no purpose that can't be overcome with a bit of patience. No child is born with a dummy in their mouth, and no child needs a dummy. They are a crutch that take forever to wean kids off, can cause damage to teeth, and look f*cking stupid.

One of my brothers' sent his kid to creche at the age of 1, never having had a dummy, and a couple of days later discovered that the creche had been giving him one, and they actually had the nerve to give out to my brother for not supplying one!

Actually it's been proven that soothers reduce the risk of cot death for babies

http://www.irishhealth.com/article.html?id=8642

My daughter was born and started thumb sucking so I replaced the thumb with a soother as I figured I could get rid of the soother in time but not the thumb.
    I would go mental if someone gave my child a soother without my permission but soothers serve their purposes. Especially at 4 in the morning. All well and good to talk about patience and overcoming things but sleep deprivation is a b"tch and it's often easier said than done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

My son is 2 years and 4 months and still loves his dummy or doody as we call it. Hoping to put it on the Christmas tree this year to give to Santa. I don't like him having it all the time as I worry it affects his speech but sometimes it's a godsend :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

ash23 wrote: »
    Actually it's been proven that soothers reduce the risk of cot death for babies

http://www.irishhealth.com/article.html?id=8642

My daughter was born and started thumb sucking so I replaced the thumb with a soother as I figured I could get rid of the soother in time but not the thumb.
    I would go mental if someone gave my child a soother without my permission but soothers serve their purposes. Especially at 4 in the morning. All well and good to talk about patience and overcoming things but sleep deprivation is a b"tch and it's often easier said than done.
    Interesting article. Still won't be giving them to my future kids though, not after witnessing the hell some of my family went through trying to get them off of the kids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

Im sure your parents tried to stop you but you would not stop for them, seriously it's like trying to give up anything we like, takes time. what age were you when you stopped sucking your thumb?
    You often find when people get tired they still have the tendency to put their thumb in or near their mouth.

No they didn't and most of all the child is not the boss, you can't give up after "trying" and say well my child just sucks their thumb, he just like his dodi and that's just the way my child is.

Adults sucking their thumbs is rare, Putting your thumb in your mouth is a completely different thing to near, its a infantile self soothing habit where the thumb is a replacement for the nipple, the want to suckle which parents should help their child develop other coping mechanism.

I was about 9 or 10 I stopped myself and I didn't just stop you do replace it with something else because everyone needs ways to relax and calm themselves but I got very good at a young age at ignoring stressors (really unhealthy) so thats how the need for thumbsucking went.

kylith wrote: »
    Interesting article. Still won't be giving them to my future kids though, not after witnessing the hell some of my family went through trying to get them off of the kids.

My 30 year old twin cousins still suck their thumbs........the soother was a doddle of a habit to break in comparison.
    I probably wouldn't have given my daughter a soother other than the fact that as soon as she was born the thumb was in her mouth and no amount of taking it back out was working. Family trait I think! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

my Granda's mother looked after luke kelly when he was a kid. He sucked a "tit" (dodi) until he was 8 according to my Granda. She would go over to the school at lunchtime so he could suck the dodi.. Maybe its a sign of genius!

saa wrote: »
    No they didn't and most of all the child is not the boss, you can't give up after "trying" and say well my child just sucks their thumb, he just like his dodi and that's just the way my child is.

What do you when they are in bed, the thumb will automatically go in the mouth.
    Adults sucking their thumbs is rare, Putting your thumb in your mouth is a completely different thing to near, its a infantile self soothing habit where the thumb is a replacement for the nipple, the want to suckle which parents should help their child develop other coping mechanism.

Really is this true?
    I was about 9 or 10 I stopped myself and I didn't just stop you do replace it with something else because everyone needs ways to relax and calm themselves but I got very good at a young age at ignoring stressors (really unhealthy) so thats how the need for thumbsucking went.

What did you replace it with?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Caveman1

Dont want the kid turning out like him :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Soothers shouldn't be given to children that can talk. If you think about how you have to modify your speech if you had a soother in your mouth -that becomes the norm for some children. This results in the child needing speech therapy for something that's completely preventable.

I sucked my thumb until I was about eight, left a big gap in my two front teeth and affected my bite as well. Had to wear braces for nearly two years as a result.

• Advertisement
Advertisement