Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

6 year old who still sucks a dummy

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Okay, I'm gonna say it. The OP is right about the kid being too old for a soother. Most children that age are long over the soother stage, and by the mother allowing him to use one she's making him a target for bullying. He didn't bring it into school, but the OP saw it, what if other children cop it?

Soothers should be given to Santa between 2-3yrs tops. I think it's developmentally stunting a child beyond that. Between 2-3 years toilet or potty training will have begun, so encouraging a child to be 'a big boy now' and telling them they can't have nappies seems like you're going two steps back if you're going to hand them a soother after. It doesn't add up to me.

Also, the issue with bottles? Same thing. Between 6-9 months sippy cups are supposed to be introduced. Bottles of juice and minerals have a lot to answer for. I recall a neighbour of mine walking around with a bottle till he was four or there abouts, his front teeth had rotted away. It was awful looking for such a little boy.

Shooting the mother is a little excessive, but OP is on the right track if you ask me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

Abi wrote: »
    Shooting the mother is a little excessive

too late he paid me a deposit on that 'transaction' :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Odats

It's quite common I think. According to my mother my youngest sister didn't give up the dummy tit until she was 8 and her child (a boy) was the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,034 ✭✭✭Wossack

Also quite bad for kids teeth, I thought

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

phasers wrote: »
    I could just be an exception though, has there been research done on this?

yes

http://www.deltadentalins.com/oral_health/pacify.html

Advertisement