Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Quinn Rider Assessment

• 23-02-2012 10:49am

Any info out there on this?
    I mean is it worth doing as a noob?I'll be finished my I.B.T this weekend and thats all the experience I have.
    I dont think I'll be getting my own machine for at least 2 months so was thinking I might as well get one or two of these done in between?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

Whoever is doing the IBT with you should also be able to complete an assement, they have already seen your ability so should also be able to complete it, free of charge of course. its not costing them anything extra, lots of IBT folk would include this, ask them.

If it extra lessons you are after, go for it.

Thanks,
    I plan on asking my instructor on Saturday.
    I got the impression the "rider training" was just that.
    not an assessment of your current skills.I think I'll get another lesson before I buy anyway.I'll have to see what the bank balance is like .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Notch000

is there any money to be saved for first time learner permit cover with this assesment done ????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭spankmaster2000

Yes, but it won't be a huge amount at first (considering the savings vs. the cost of doing the assesment).
    To be honest, I'd be doing it anyway for the training course / additional skills, etc...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭Roadskill

Not all instructors are approved for the rider assessments. This is why some cannot give them to you. However the ibt instructor is not obliged to offer it free of charge if he/she is approved as they can cost up to €250 to do on their own some places.
    The reason we offer this is that we have seen your riding during ibt and it's only a case of filling out the paperwork at the end. Every little helps as a well known supermarket says.:D The only thing we can't give you is club card points.

A grade 4 should save you around 25% on your quote which is what most new riders would be issued with by us. The higher your grade the more you save.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Kev.OC

urbanledge wrote: »
    Any info out there on this?
    I mean is it worth doing as a noob?I'll be finished my I.B.T this weekend and thats all the experience I have.
    I dont think I'll be getting my own machine for at least 2 months so was thinking I might as well get one or two of these done in between?

Cheers

I was in the exact same boat. My IBT instructor did the Quinn insurance assessment with me free of charge. I think it's well worth doing. Even if you do have to pay to do it separately, it'll pay for itself over the space of 2 or 3 years.

Notch000 wrote: »
    is there any money to be saved for first time learner permit cover with this assesment done ????

I think I saved somewhere around €160 on my insurance thanks to the assessment. Brought it from €930 down to about €770.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 398 ✭✭reece

from what i can remember i saved about 300. But that was 5 years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Notch000

I just completed the IBT this week, afterwards i asked my instructor about these assessments
    . He said he could issue me a grade 4 straight away but thought i was more than capable of achieving a grade two, this would require some more advanced skilll not covered by IBT. We would also do it on a larger cc bike, This would take about 3 hrs and he said he would do it for 100e, i initially thought this was a bit of a sales pitch but checking quotes online i,d save about 180 euro on first quote, so its looks like a win win situation to me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭Roadskill

Notch000 wrote: »
    I just completed the IBT this week, afterwards i asked my instructor about these assessments
    . He said he could issue me a grade 4 straight away but thought i was more than capable of achieving a grade two, this would require some more advanced skilll not covered by IBT. We would also do it on a larger cc bike, This would take about 3 hrs and he said he would do it for 100e, i initially thought this was a bit of a sales pitch but checking quotes online i,d save about 180 euro on first quote, so its looks like a win win situation to me
    Grade 2= Adanced with a high level of hazard awareness and planning at all times . excellent machine control in all situations.
    this is what is required. unless you had experience before and ibt was just to get onto bikes again this would not be achievable with so little riding under you belt.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭KingIsabella

Got 35% off insurance with an assessment frmo my ibt so definitly worth it! Pays for itself really after 2 or 3 years of insurance!

• Advertisement
Advertisement