Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A new rider in the Emerald Island

• 23-02-2012 12:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hey guys,

just moved over here with my good'ol' Suzuki Vstrom 650 and here is the first question for you. I would like to go and do some shopping with the bike but I am unsure about where I can actually park the motorbike? In Italy where I come from, you can basically park it anywhere it does not create traffic issues, while over here you guys seem to be much more 'disciplined'.
    I was thinking in particular about Dublin City center and (just for today's lunch shopping) Dundrum shopping center.

thanks a lot!
    ale

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

In the city centre, your best bet (depending on where you're going) is O'Connell Street. You'll see bikes parked on the central reservation already. Just bring a strong chain and find something solid to chain your bike to. With regard to Dundrum, just park near one of the entrances. Just be sure not to block a door. When I go to (for example) the Pavillions in Swords or Blanchardstown centre, I park about 10 metres from the door, against the wall. That way I'm not blocking anyone and not taking up a parking space.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 seven77

awesome, seems like the task will be much less of a problem than i initially anticipated.

will give it a try and get back to you in case i get a ticket ^^

LOL, no worries. And no, it's not a big task. If you get a ticket, just post it to me at - Sill E. Person, Not My Fault Street, Sorryicanthelpyou. :pac: :pac:

Best of luck today. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Buon giorno! Come sta?

There are so fewer bikes here than Italy it is a case of making the rules up as you go along. There was some discussion a few months back about ticketing when someone got a ticket for parking on a pavement (in Cork I think?) despite no available bike spaces, bikes not allowed in pay-and-display and the pavement in question being very wide.

I park as close to wherever I am going and so long as my bike is secure and not in anyones way it always works out. I got in trouble for bringing my bike into a shopping mall and leaving it outside a shop once though...

'cptr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

I park as close to wherever I am going and so long as my bike is secure and not in anyones way
    This exactly. Don't cause an obstruction and you're grand anywhere really.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Yeah, that sums it up. Park on any footpath as long as it's not blocking anyone. If you're not blocking anyone else, you're grand.

Good places around grafton street is here, here, here, or here.

...so long as my bike is secure and not in anyones way it always works out.
    AgileMyth wrote: »
    This exactly. Don't cause an obstruction and you're grand anywhere really.
    Paparazzo wrote: »
    Yeah, that sums it up. Park on any footpath as long as it's not blocking anyone. If you're not blocking anyone else, you're grand.

Good places around grafton street is here, here, here, or here.

Yep, yep and yep. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

In the city centre, your best bet (depending on where you're going) is O'Connell Street. You'll see bikes parked on the central reservation already. Just bring a strong chain and find something solid to chain your bike to. With regard to Dundrum, just park near one of the entrances. Just be sure not to block a door. When I go to (for example) the Pavillions in Swords or Blanchardstown centre, I park about 10 metres from the door, against the wall. That way I'm not blocking anyone and not taking up a parking space.

You're no longer allowed park there and risk getting a ticket for doing so. The little road leading down to Arnotts car park, beside the GPO, has a dedicated motorbike parking bay.

If you are going to Grafton Street, bike tend to park at the top of it without much hassle.

Dundrum has it's own bike parking area, it is up beside the doors that people use when coming off the Luas. Between the 2 entrances for the carpark (not up at the petrol station) there is a lane for pedestrians to enter the shop. Go up there, around the bend there is places to lock your bike, and racks to lock them to.

RosieJoe wrote: »
    You're no longer allowed park there and risk getting a ticket for doing so. The little road leading down to Arnotts car park, beside the GPO, has a dedicated motorbike parking bay.

Princes Street, I always park there when I'm in that part of town. Google street view doesn't have the newer bike park. It has bollards along it so cars can't use it like the old one.

RosieJoe wrote: »

Really? I parked there last week beside a load of other bikes when I had to go meet a guy.Maybe there was no wardens around that day! :D

Didn't know about the bike-only parking in there. Must remember it next time. Cheers man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭gipi

Isn't the dedicated motorbike park on Princes St gone? Some of Green Gormless's free rent-a-bicycles took over the spot! There is some space for motorcycles, but nothing like it used to be!

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Chaos Marine

Chain one of your bike's wheels to a pole at all times you're not around to see it. If you see kids staring at it in a group, park it some where else.

If you see a female driver, be very, very careful, even more so if there are kids in the car.

gipi wrote: »
    Isn't the dedicated motorbike park on Princes St gone? Some of Green Gormless's free rent-a-bicycles took over the spot! There is some space for motorcycles, but nothing like it used to be!

No, it's there, but further down. It's down at the side door into Penny's. It's actually better now. Think it's bigger, but the bollards stop cars parking in there, which always used to happen but are plenty wide enough to get bikes into. Handy spot when you're getting cheap underpants/socks in Penny's :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

seven77 wrote: »
    and (just for today's lunch shopping) Dundrum shopping center.

In Dundrum SC, the open air Tesco parking is what I use - you need to get a parking ticket to enter (there's no gap around the barriers) but on the way out the leftmost barrier is 3/4 so you can get out free. There's some space to park bikes just outside Tesco too, never had a problem there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

good few places to park bikes around Dundrum shopping centre

Tescos as said
    Sandyford road, theres an overflow carpark with specific bike parking, almost opposite Winters Bar
    Theres also a pedestrian area right beside Hamleys/Port House/Nandos etc with an area for bikes

Advertisement