Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Triax TSC114 - anyone got their hands on one yet?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

dubber wrote: »
    No now/next for sat channels in the EPG? :-(

Fingers crossed its just a silly bug as not having now/next for the sat channels is a little silly. I can live without a 7-day epg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,701 ✭✭✭zg3409

Does it have DiSEqC switching and if so which options 1.0 1.1 1.2, 2.0, 2.1, 2.2?

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭dubber

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    Fingers crossed its just a silly bug as not having now/next for the sat channels is a little silly. I can live without a 7-day epg

and hopefully they've addressed the other foibles of the 537 box too ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

zg3409 wrote: »
    Does it have DiSEqC switching and if so which options 1.0 1.1 1.2, 2.0, 2.1, 2.2?

This box looks like its 28.2 only which would surprise me that Saorview didnt want one box that allows for all possibilities with Saorview, Saorsat and FTA 28.2.

Thing that jumped out at me is No Card slots from what I can see either.

Would I be right in saying that the 7 day epg on sat hasnt been "implemented".

Looking at the video again, seems like you can only record the terrestrial channel you're watching, channel switching isn't going to win any speed races either ... pity ... looks like another wait for the new walker combo :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭ISAA

I will be posting answers to your questions later today.

I,ve answered some of your questions above, and the answers are on the ISAA Forum, any other questions post them there as well.

regards,

Gerry

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭ISAA

STB wrote: »
    This box looks like its 28.2 only which would surprise me that Saorview didnt want one box that allows for all possibilities with Saorview, Saorsat and FTA 28.2.

Thing that jumped out at me is No Card slots from what I can see either.

Would I be right in saying that the 7 day epg on sat hasnt been "implemented".

Latest info about all of the above on our ISAATV channel.
    Hope this helps.
    I did more testing, saorsat,Astra, and Saorview, all prefect and worked very well.
    easy to change all settings, and first class receiver.

Had a very quick play of one today, it seemed to work quite well and the remote felt quite nice. PQ didn't seem great, but as this is a "premium" box, I'll presume it has "premium" components and assume this can be sorted with calibration. Didin't get a chance to put it through its paces, but if it works as advertised I wouldn't be too disappointed with one of these. Of course, 7 day EPG would be nice, as would DLNA support and recording terrestrial channels in the same mux (edit - it looks like it can do this) - but I could probably live without those.

Brochure
    194443.JPG

194444.JPG

TVtrade have a video up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,327 ✭✭✭✭Tony

dubber wrote: »
    Had a very quick play of one today,

Was this the one at the red cow hotel or somewhere else ?

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

Just ordered up one of these - will report back on how it compares to the likes of the Ferguson Ariva HDcombo

Tony wrote: »
    Was this the one at the red cow hotel or somewhere else ?

Yes, the one at the red cow.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭B bopp

can someone please clarify something for me... whats the point in a box picking up saorview and saorsat together.. are they not the same channels..

B bopp wrote: »
    can someone please clarify something for me... whats the point in a box picking up saorview and saorsat together.. are they not the same channels..

That wouldn't make sense alright but the idea is that you can pickup Saorview and then other satellite services, like the Astra2 services from the UK. BBCs/ITVs/C4s etc/

It's confusing. There are multiple boxes being launched.

There is the triax TSC114 which is the first certified Saorview Combo box. This is basically saorview with the free channels at 28.2. Seems like no 7 day guide on sat, no auto tuning on sat. Works fine for Saorview, so terrestrial part certified. PVR with single tuner one for sat 28.2 one for Saorview.

Then there is a triax Sat ONLY box (no name yet) with blue LED display on front. This does Saorsat (with certification soon) and DiSEqC switching for changing from Saorsat to 28.2 channels. It is only certified for Saorsat not freeview etc. Again no auto re-tuning of sat, no 7 day guide. This is also a PVR with single tuner.

Then there is triax's terrestrial only box (not new).

The Walker Sat only box (available in powercity etc) is the only box known to do Saorsat and some version of 7 day guide like Freesat, no one has done a proper review. Probably the best box for Saorsat the moment.

As clear as mud?

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭B bopp

There is the triax TSC114 which is the first certified Saorview Combo box. This is basically saorview with the free channels at 28.2. Seems like no 7 day guide on sat, no auto tuning on sat. Works fine for Saorview, so terrestrial part certified. PVR with single tuner one for sat 28.2 one for Saorview.

Then there is a triax Sat ONLY box (no name yet) with blue LED display on front. This does Saorsat (with certification soon) and DiSEqC switching for changing from Saorsat to 28.2 channels. It is only certified for Saorsat not freeview etc. Again no auto re-tuning of sat, no 7 day guide. This is also a PVR with single tuner.

The Walker Sat only box (available in powercity etc) is the only box known to do Saorsat and some version of 7 day guide like Freesat, no one has done a proper review. Probably the best box for Saorsat the moment.

As clear as mud?

Is the walker box out. does it do pvr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

As clear as mud?

There is no published min spec for Saorsat that I know of, so technically there is no certification process for the dvb-s2 end. Of course the ability to decode MPEG4 H264 video/MHEG5 middleware in DVB-S2 would be a requirement and Disesqc given RTE have long since acknowledged the usefullness of combi boxes an alternative method to combined fta reception and that may have been the way they have chosen to certify it under Saorview.

Auto tuning and 7 day epg Freesat API on 28.2 could not be a published requirement for any Saorsat product as it would condone reverse engineering of Huffman tables/Sky Openepg data which all these patches for the data would be.

That walker box 7 day epg must be an unofficial patch (I have yet to see it in action so I am dubious that they have copied some of the Freesat API to grab the data off the freesat transponder). Again even so, it would be grabbing just that, the epg data and not doing the auto re-tune. This seems to be the claim with the standalone sat version on sale in Power City by Ciaran in one of the Saorsat threads. Again I havent seen screenshots to back any of this up. If it were the case however, it would only be an option for those receiving Saorsat and 28.2 on diseqc. For those who want the full suite of Saorview channels and 28.2 this unofficial functionality would have to have carried over to the yet to be seen Walker/Vestel combi box(es) which again is a well guarded secret.

Dont think we will ever see such a receiver that manufacturers can openly brag as having full official Freesat and Saorview capabilities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 channnels

If the new Triax doesn't have a 7 day EPG and auto retuning for satellite then surely this is really the HD 537 with Saorview certification and some bugs hopefully ironed out? Not exactly earth shattering.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

yeah disappointing... the way people were talking here i thought these new crop of boxes were gonna be a major advance on the ferguson ariva 120 with the 7 day sat epg(although not freesat certified).

looks like it wont happen and the ferguson will still be the best value on the market....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭stanley1

no point in this receiver without 7 day epg on sat.

stanley1 wrote: »
    no point in this receiver without 7 day epg on sat.

That might be a little strong ... it would be good to know though what exactly the price premium buys you, is it just MHEG5 and certification, or is it also a fancy chipset with better video processing, lower power consumption etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

Just received shipment of the TSC114, and notably it has a few advantages from the HD537 BOX. Here is my first opinion of it
    Advantages,
    1. Seriously easier to tune and channel arrange.
    2. Saorview guide crisp and fast to load.
    3. Now has a tv/radio button to go between radio and tv channels.
    4. Saorview approved grafix on box and screen.

Disadvantages,
    1. Epg for sat channels only displays now and next when you select the channel in the epg takes a few seconds to load.
    2. Cannot seem to access the MHEG5 Teletext on the BBC channels, the HD537 had this function so a little backwards again, have contacted Triax via email wont hold my breathe that I get an answer regarding this issue.
    3. They made the red button for zoom instead of making it MHEG5 loading etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

steveon wrote: »
    Just received shipment of the TSC114, and notably it has a few advantages from the HD537 BOX. Here is my first opinion of it
    Advantages,
    1. Seriously easier to tune and channel arrange.
    2. Saorview guide crisp and fast to load.
    3. Now has a tv/radio button to go between radio and tv channels.
    4. Saorview approved grafix on box and screen.

Disadvantages,
    1. Epg for sat channels only displays now and next when you select the channel in the epg takes a few seconds to load.
    2. Cannot seem to access the MHEG5 Teletext on the BBC channels, the HD537 had this function so a little backwards again, have contacted Triax via email wont hold my breathe that I get an answer regarding this issue.
    3. They made the red button for zoom instead of making it MHEG5 loading etc...

the question is why would anyone bother with this for just saorview logo and mheg5... most people would be willing to pay extra for the 7 day sat epg, which is the one disadvantage the ariva does not have.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

the question is why would anyone bother with this for just saorview logo and mheg5... most people would be willing to pay extra for the 7 day sat epg, which is the one disadvantage the ariva does not have.
    Why does everyone expect 7 day epg on sat? if you want that get a freesat approved box.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

shblob wrote: »
    Why does everyone expect 7 day epg on sat? if you want that get a freesat approved box.

Well with all the advances in technology it should be easy enough, technically at any rate, to have full EPG on DTT & Sat. The only difficulty is the propriety rights.Ideal set up would be one receiver that does Saorview & Sat with full EPG on both. The Freesat box does not do Saorview.

B bopp wrote: »
    Is the walker box out. does it do pvr

Yes and yes. I have put info on it here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=77330403#post77330403

Technicially it is very possible but Freesat do not want their epg used on non freesat boxes , they even got an injunction against sat4free to stop them doing this. Other available solutions at present on some linux based boxes is to download the epg from a non Freesat source or use hacked "third party" firmware for non linux boxes.

Sorry for going off topic, bottom line its unlikely in the extreme that the TSC114 will ever have 7 day epg on satellite.

Well with all the advances in technology it should be easy enough, technically at any rate, to have full EPG on DTT & Sat. The only difficulty is the propriety rights.Ideal set up would be one receiver that does Saorview & Sat with full EPG on both. The Freesat box does not do Saorview.

Are you certain it has 7 day epg for Uk channels ?

• Advertisement

Advertisement