Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Triax TSC114 - anyone got their hands on one yet?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

IsMiseJoe wrote: »
    Anyone know a way of converting programs recorded with this box into avi or mp4 files.
    The box records the programs as tsv files.

Possibly "videoredo.com" does it. It certainly does ts files and can take out adverts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Xmediarecode handles just about every file around. Worth trying:)

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Fredd

Just bought a Triax tsc114 to replace a clarke tech which became faulty. Having a problem with the aspect ratio. If set to 16×9, tv3, 3e, tg4 and news now display in 4×3 format on the TV, if set to full screen they are ok but ITV2, 3 and 4 are over scanned . Anyone else have aspect problems with this box? No problems like this with the clarke tech.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭sky23

Fredd wrote: »
    Just bought a Triax tsc114 to replace a clarke tech which became faulty. Having a problem with the aspect ratio. If set to 16×9, tv3, 3e, tg4 and news now display in 4×3 format on the TV, if set to full screen they are ok but ITV2, 3 and 4 are over scanned . Anyone else have aspect problems with this box? No problems like this with the clarke tech.

Yes I have this box for about a year and they still haven't released an update to fix the aspect ratio problem you describe so i'm afraid you will have to put up with it switching from 16:9 to full screen

sky23 wrote: »
    Yes I have have this box for about a year and they still haven't released an update to fix the aspect ratio problem you describe so i'm afraid you will have to put up with it switching from 16:9 to full screen

Thanks for that, just a pain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

Download the latest firmware update Jan 2013 and this will fix the problem, once installed set the picture in the av settings to fullscreen. You will need to retune in the channels after upgrade so back up your channel list first.

http://www.triax.co.uk/Downloads/Software%20Downloads.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭sky23

steveon wrote: »
    Download the latest firmware update Jan 2013 and this will fix the problem, once installed set the picture in the av settings to fullscreen. You will need to retune in the channels after upgrade so back up your channel list first.

http://www.triax.co.uk/Downloads/Software%20Downloads.aspx
    I have that update long ago and it never fixed the problem for me

sky23 wrote: »
    I have that update long ago and it never fixed the problem for me
    No it didn't work for me either. Thanks for the reply though

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭dshakey

took a few days off at playing with the amiko. before it was thrown out the window

has anyone had any luck getting the saorview channels working yet on championc image?

Contacted Triax and got a quick response looking for build number etc. Sent info off and received a link to the latest update which as we all know doesn't fix the problem. Told them this and they have ignored all communications since. Not impressed.

• Advertisement

Contacted Triax and got a quick response looking for build number etc. Sent info off and received a link to the latest update which as we all know doesn't fix the problem. Told them this and they have ignored all communications since. Not impressed.

Nothing new from Triax they have a terrible Customer Service Division.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Droim Iarainn

Nothing new from Triax they have a terrible Customer Service Division.

Absolutely regarding the customer service. Also, the manual is very poor as regards certain aspects, such as setting timers.

As far as I can see there is still a problem with recordings, even after the installation of the last software fix (Build Date: 18 Jan 2013). The device does not reliably wake up to do a recording when it goes into standby. If it's left on permanently (i.e. Choose Menu, then Setting, then set Auto Standby to Off) then recordings work ok. Although on a few occasions my entire set of timers have become corrupted for no apparent reason and have had to be reset.

Has anyone else had this experience?

If the device is NOT left on permanently then one way of attempting to make the device wake up is to set the timer to Type = On. But that is not reliable.

I'd be grateful if some of you could check is the following happening on your device:

* Setup a timer to switch the device to standby i.e. choose Menu | Setting | Timers. Press the yellow button for Edit and create a timer for say 5 minutes later, choose Type to be Standby and choose Mode to be Weekly.

* Setup a second timer for say 15 minutes later, choose Type to be On and choose Mode to be Weekly.

Leave the device on.

5 minutes later it should go to standby and 10 minutes after that it should wake up.

Check what does the Timers menu then say. In my case, the date for the Standby timer will have correctly moved on by a week as it was a Weekly event. However, the date for the On timer will NOT have changed.

If this is also happening for you, then it's another bug and means that Type=On cannot be reliably used for repeated recording events (such as Daily, Weekly or Monthly).

Just checked the timers and have the same problem. Off switches to next week but on stays at today's date so no good for weekly programming

Just checked the timers and have the same problem. Off switches to next week but on stays at today's date so no good for weekly programming

Thanks for that. Great to know I'm not alone!

The beauty of this bug is that it's reproducible unlike the random corruption of timers which is not. And if ordinary users can find a basic bug like this then it's a sorry situation that Triax didn't easily discover this with the most basic testing. It doesn't say much for their quality assurance systems or their attitude to customers that fundamental errors still remain in the software.

Another bug can be seen as follows (please can some of you check does this happen for you):

Step 1. Create a timer (No 1) as follows:

Start Time = 5 minutes from now
    Duration = 1 minute
    Mode = Weekly
    Type = Recorder

Step 2: Power off the device (the red light should come on. If there's a blue light then the start time is too soon and you need to change it)

Step 3: The device WILL power up at the correct time (blue light comes on two minutes or so beforehand) and it should start recording.

Step 4: Wait until the recording has finished and then create another timer (No 2) as follows:

Duration = 1 minute
    Mode = Weekly
    Type = Recorder

[You now should have two timers on the screen. The date on No 1 will be a week later as it should have run successfully. The other one is the one you've just created]

Step 5: Power off the device (the red light should come on)

Step 6: The device will NOT come back on at the designated time even though it should.

Step 7: Wait until after the recording should have completed (i.e. at least a minute after the intended start time).

Step 8: Power the device on manually. Check the timers - you'll find No 1 there as before with the date a week ahead but No 2 will have the current date as it didn't work.

Step 9: Delete Timer No 1 (Choose it and use the Green button).

Step 10: Edit Timer No 2 (now the only one) and change the start time to be 5 minutes from the current time.

Step 11: Power off the device (the red light should come on) (i.e. the same as Step 5)

Step 12: The device DOES come back on at the designated time and does the recording.

So that means that it will come on correctly (Step 12) when there's only one timer but it won't do so when there's more than one timer (Step 6). This makes it completely useless for doing repeated recordings (such as daily, weekly, monthly) unless you only have one timer. Any more than that and it won't switch itself back on again after doing the first one.

The same effect would happen if you created the two timers at the beginning and then powered it off after the first one had recorded without deleting the first timer.

The only way it will work is if it's left on permanently. And even then, as I mentioned previously, there is the occasional corruption of the timers which you only discover when something doesn't record.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Wimmy78

Got one of these last year and everything was fine, but these days we have so much stutter on the English channels we can't watch anything. Some channels disappear or are unavailable completely, and it is now happening to 80% of these channels.

I had the latest firmware, I rescanned a couple of times but still experiencing the issue.

Anybody would know what's next bar returning the device?

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭JOSman

Mine was acting very strange lately, so I reset it back to factory settings. Things seem to be okay again (fingers crossed).

Wimmy78 wrote: »
    Got one of these last year and everything was fine, but these days we have so much stutter on the English channels we can't watch anything. Some channels disappear or are unavailable completely, and it is now happening to 80% of these channels.

I had the latest firmware, I rescanned a couple of times but still experiencing the issue.

Anybody would know what's next bar returning the device?

I can give u a full rescan...all u need to do is add the terrestrial channels saving u a lot of time and effort. However you will need to update your box to the latest firmware version Jan 2013.

Another bug can be seen as follows (please can some of you check does this happen for you):

Step 1. Create a timer (No 1) as follows:

Duration = 1 minute
    Mode = Weekly
    Type = Recorder

Step 2: Power off the device (the red light should come on. If there's a blue light then the start time is too soon and you need to change it)

Step 3: The device WILL power up at the correct time (blue light comes on two minutes or so beforehand) and it should start recording.

Step 4: Wait until the recording has finished and then create another timer (No 2) as follows:

Duration = 1 minute
    Mode = Weekly
    Type = Recorder

[You now should have two timers on the screen. The date on No 1 will be a week later as it should have run successfully. The other one is the one you've just created]

Step 5: Power off the device (the red light should come on)

Step 6: The device will NOT come back on at the designated time even though it should.

Step 7: Wait until after the recording should have completed (i.e. at least a minute after the intended start time).

Step 8: Power the device on manually. Check the timers - you'll find No 1 there as before with the date a week ahead but No 2 will have the current date as it didn't work.

Step 9: Delete Timer No 1 (Choose it and use the Green button).

Step 10: Edit Timer No 2 (now the only one) and change the start time to be 5 minutes from the current time.

Step 11: Power off the device (the red light should come on) (i.e. the same as Step 5)

Step 12: The device DOES come back on at the designated time and does the recording.

So that means that it will come on correctly (Step 12) when there's only one timer but it won't do so when there's more than one timer (Step 6). This makes it completely useless for doing repeated recordings (such as daily, weekly, monthly) unless you only have one timer. Any more than that and it won't switch itself back on again after doing the first one.

The same effect would happen if you created the two timers at the beginning and then powered it off after the first one had recorded without deleting the first timer.

The only way it will work is if it's left on permanently. And even then, as I mentioned previously, there is the occasional corruption of the timers which you only discover when something doesn't record.

Just checked this and getting the same problem.

Just noticed that there's a uk help phone number on the version screen of the receiver and wondering if anyone tried contacting triax on it and if so what was the result?

• Advertisement

Just noticed that there's a uk help phone number on the version screen of the receiver and wondering if anyone tried contacting triax on it and if so what was the result?

Triax wont deal with you if your an end user...they will fob you off and tell you to contact the person or company whom you purchased the box from..

They will then fob the person who you purchased the box from and again refer us onto our wholesaler I kid you not...I had a previous problem as such and only when I threatened them with a complaint under the sales of good's act did I FINALLY first get a message from a named person and not a robot response before they finally escalated and fixed the problem.

I personally love Triax products and if their customer service and boxes received the due attention to their software they would outdo the competition instead they diddle daddle around and pass the buck which is a disgrace, and loose a ton of business as a result..

I am currently awaiting answers posed to them on both the 537 and some of the problems you refer to for months now and even provided them with links to all the threads on here regarding the problems people are experiencing.....I dont hold my breath..

Triax wont deal with you if your an end user...they will fob you off and tell you to contact the person or company whom you purchased the box from..

They will then fob the person who you purchased the box from and again refer us onto our wholesaler I kid you not...I had a previous problem as such and only when I threatened them with a complaint under the sales of good's act did I FINALLY first get a message from a named person and not a robot response before they finally escalated and fixed the problem.

I personally love Triax products and if their customer service and boxes received the due attention to their software they would outdo the competition instead they diddle daddle around and pass the buck which is a disgrace, and loose a ton of business as a result..

I am currently awaiting answers posed to them on both the 537 and some of the problems you refer to for months now and even provided them with links to all the threads on here regarding the problems people are experiencing.....I dont hold my breath..

This lack of response from Triax is pathetic and it has to be costing them business. The problems were even worse (see the early part of this thread) when the TSC114 was initially released and it took them an inordinately long time to respond with updated software. That software seems to be still flawed, as the tests I outlined above (posts #613 and #616) appear to show.

Any suppliers of this product who are reading this should run these basic tests and, if verified, should alert any potential buyers of the problems that still exist with the latest version of the software. At least then a buyer will know what s/he is getting and can make a reasoned choice as to whether or not to proceed with the purchase.

Something I've noticed is that when you run a search to install a terrestrial channel (choose Menu then Installation, set Installation Type = DVB-T, use Manual for simplicity on a single channel number, pick Yes to run the search but you can say No to 'Save Search Result' if you just want to test this) it deletes all the timers that have been setup.

However, if you repeat this and run a search to install a satellite channel (Installation Type = DVB-S, pick one Transponder and pick the Blue button to scan) the timers are retained.

It seems odd that there would be different behaviour depending on the type of search. I don't know whether this is a feature or a bug but it strikes me as most likely to be some sort of bug with possibly a "memory leak" causing an overwrite of the timers?

This lack of response from Triax is pathetic and it has to be costing them business. The problems were even worse (see the early part of this thread) when the TSC114 was initially released and it took them an inordinately long time to respond with updated software. That software seems to be still flawed, as the tests I outlined above (posts #613 and #616) appear to show.

Any suppliers of this product who are reading this should run these basic tests and, if verified, should alert any potential buyers of the problems that still exist with the latest version of the software. At least then a buyer will know what s/he is getting and can make a reasoned choice as to whether or not to proceed with the purchase.

I totally agree with you I have as I said earlier tried on numerous occasions to tackle triax on this issue and pointed them to the many threads on here for it to just fall on deaf ears.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭colly3

Hi, not quite the same query as above but here goes ...
    I bought a TSC114 last month after a very cheap (but very user friendly) Power City bought box kept freezing. The Triax box has taken a bit of getting used to as the Nordmende box had EPG for all channels, very simple recording process etc. The Triax seems to have far fewer channels than the cheapie box but in particular, there are two favourites missing - Sky News and CBS Reality. Is it possible to tune these channels in manually? I have scoured the web, can't find anything.

Thanks for any useful tips :)

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭kelbal

colly3 wrote: »
    Hi, not quite the same query as above but here goes ...
    I bought a TSC114 last month after a very cheap (but very user friendly) Power City bought box kept freezing. The Triax box has taken a bit of getting used to as the Nordmende box had EPG for all channels, very simple recording process etc. The Triax seems to have far fewer channels than the cheapie box but in particular, there are two favourites missing - Sky News and CBS Reality. Is it possible to tune these channels in manually? I have scoured the web, can't find anything.

Thanks for any useful tips :)

Keep scrolling, Sky News definitely there, might be further down the list

• Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

KingofSat is always useful for finding channels

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

is there any way (hack) of making it epg 7 day across all channels??

fryup wrote: »
    is there any way (hack) of making it epg 7 day across all channels??

Unfortunately not...however parts of the software is claimed to be open-source but Triax refuse to release the code!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Woodie40

Is there any way to turn off the auto search function for new channels?

Advertisement