Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Triax TSC114 - anyone got their hands on one yet?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40 JamesTC

one of these must be well worth the 120 euro these days are they?

thinking of getting one

It depends; this box is a compromise no matter what way you look at it. It's capable of PVR (with a USB stick or hard drive) but the lack of EPG on satellite takes somewhat from that functionality (though timers can be set) it's nice having everything in one list but channels don't update automatically.
    Depending on your existing set up (TV Saorview approved ?, satellite already wired in?) and expectations (full PVR or not) then other set ups could be better.
    I got this box for my parents and for the most part it works well, if gives them all the channels they want, in HD in one setup and no monthly fee, but like I said above you compromise on functionality and depending on what you are looking for this box may or may not be worth the money to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

got one today and fairly happy so far,just have saorview connected at the moment ,getting 95% signal and 100% quality

just wondering about recordings made to a hard drive, is it possible to swap the hard drive to a pc to get the recording off?

thanks

to answer my own question above, yes you can :)

just for the record ,im using a usb powered intenso 1tb hd and its working flawlessly,

just plugged it in and it worked straight away

• Registered Users Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

I have this box for a few years with an external hard drive for recording.
    Overall it does the job but the box can be very slow and unresponsive especially when you turn it on/off.

I have an issue where I am losing some of the satellite channels especially in the late afternoon/evening. I can get Sky News still though but lose all the bbcs and channel 4 channels. My satellite signal is around the 50% mark whereas the saorview is around 90%.

This is the case even though both feeds are coming the same distance. Is it just a case of boosting the satellite signal?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭kelbal

My satellite signal is around the 50% mark whereas the saorview is around 90%.

This is the case even though both feeds are coming the same distance. Is it just a case of boosting the satellite signal?

Thanks

I doubt that the satellite signal is being degraded by cable distance - I reckon you need to adjust your dish a tiny bit, it sounds like its a tiny bit off. The tiniest of adjustments should get that better.

Can I also ask
    Is there an easier way to find recordings in the record manager. I have to scroll through each one as there is no search function.

I had to reformat the hard drive as it would no longer record. A message was coming up frequently saying 'write error...??'

• Registered Users Posts: 30 kodscoll

kelbal wrote: »
    I doubt that the satellite signal is being degraded by cable distance - I reckon you need to adjust your dish a tiny bit, it sounds like its a tiny bit off. The tiniest of adjustments should get that better.

Sounds like your dish or lnb need adjustment ... 50% signal is very low ... should be about 90% if dish is set correctly

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭rostalof

I'm trying to fix one of these boxes for my father-in-law. The box switched itself of a few days ago and since then none of the satellite channels are working, saorview channels are still received with no issue. I go to the Installation menu, select DVB-S, then Satellite List and the Signal bar reads 70% but there is 0% on the quality bar. Has the tuner failed/burnt out or is there a setting somewhere I'm missing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭FRIENDO

rostalof wrote:
    I'm trying to fix one of these boxes for my father-in-law. The box switched itself of a few days ago and since then none of the satellite channels are working, saorview channels are still received with no issue. I go to the Installation menu, select DVB-S, then Satellite List and the Signal bar reads 70% but there is 0% on the quality bar. Has the tuner failed/burnt out or is there a setting somewhere I'm missing?

Could it be the satellite dish at fault?
    Can you try another satellite receiver/set top box, and see will it work.

• Advertisement

That's what I'm currently doing, I've brought the box to my own house, tried it with both 2 different connections that work i.e. bedroom and living room where I've disconnected my working Vu+ and Ferguson Ariva boxes, but there's still 0% quality on the Triax. This is what's leading me to believe the tuner may be faulty.

Not sounding good for the triax, I'm sure you've tried already, but last hope might be a factory reset/first time install

My thoughts exactly! Just did a firmware upgrade to the January 2013 release and we're up and running again.

rostalof wrote:
    My thoughts exactly! Just did a firmware upgrade to the January 2013 release and we're up and running again.

Good stuff

Look after your TSC114 coz Triax have pulled the plug on Saorview receivers. Very hard to get any new ones now.

kodscoll wrote:
    Look after your TSC114 coz Triax have pulled the plug on Saorview receivers. Very hard to get any new ones now.

Possibly this is because of the new saorview (big secret) stb, manufacturers may be holding back until the launch with a new range.

Lol doubt that very much. More likely Triax burned by the whole Saorview experience. Poor sales, incompatibility issues with the transmission etc. Can't see them coming back 😇

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^^^^^^^

really? i thought it was a big seller

A lot of grief due to all the dud/test Saorview channels which couldn't be deleted permanently from the box and which kept reappearing without doing a manual USB upgrade.

Good quality receiver but I think Triax got fed up with all the tinkering to the Saorview transmission.

Customers complain to suppliers who in turn complain to Triax and at the end of the day the Irish market is tiny so its probably not worth the hassle to produce a Saorview specific receiver where sales are only ever going to be in the 10s of thousands.

Its a pity :-(

Now a proper Saorview/Freesat combi triple tuner with HDD, full 7-day EPG and series link would be the business 😆

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭EmptyTree

Any ideas where I can get the firmware upgrade to the January 2013 release?

I did a retune last night and want to play around with it to sort the channels / resolve the annoying saorview-satellite 100 channel gap, but I want to know I can reinstall the latest firmware before I mess it up completely!:eek:

P.S. I came across this: http://www.daltontv.ie/triax-tsc114-combi/
    but I'm not sure what it is or if I can trust it, anyone any ideas?

• Advertisement

Dalton Firmware download is fine. I know 1 or 2 that have used it. You can get around the blank channel gap without a firmware upgrade by moving the blank channels to the end of the list rather than deleting them. If you delete them they will just keep coming back. Its tedious but it works 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭EmptyTree

kodscoll wrote: »
    Dalton Firmware download is fine. I know 1 or 2 that have used it.

Thanks. I'll try it.
    You can get around the blank channel gap without a firmware upgrade by moving the blank channels to the end of the list rather than deleting them. If you delete them they will just keep coming back. Its tedious but it works 😊

But will i be able to have the channels in a logical sequence e.g 6,7,8,9,10 or will it become 6,7,8,110,111,113?

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭decor58

I had s 114, crashed it trying to update it for much the same reason. Each time I tried to move a sat channel to a number below 50, the channel would then be placed anywhere, very annoying, had the LCN off. A friend has a 114, only uses it for sat, BBC on 1, etc, uses tv tuner for Saorview, a bit of a waste, but sat channels run from no 1.

I have the channels in order on my Triax.
    When I hit the enter button they are all in order but I had to move them into that order. No gaps. I then saved the channel list to my hard drive which I can upload if I ever have to do a retune.

Two issues I am having with this box. Sometimes I am losing HD bbc and itv channels but the non hd ones are available. Sometimes I can't get any of them.

Second is the difficulty with finding recordings. There is no search function so you have to scroll through all the recordings to find what you recorded. Maybe I am not aware of what it can do though.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Two issues I am having with this box. Sometimes I am losing HD bbc and itv channels but the non hd ones are available. Sometimes I can't get any of them.

i only seem to lose bbc4, the screen is blank so i switch off/on and it reappears :confused:
    Second is the difficulty with finding recordings. There is no search function so you have to scroll through all the recordings to find what you recorded. Maybe I am not aware of what it can do though.

no there isn't i'm afraid which is a pain :( esp if you have 100 + recordings

btw - it only lists 200 recordings

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

Solution to BBC4 is to scan the box after 7pm when BBC4 actually starts and this usually solves the blank tv channel ....

BBC4
    10773.00 H 22000 5/6

BBC4 HD
    11024.00 H 23000 2/3

As regarding the latest firmware the latest I have seen is March 2013, I posted a screenshot of it on another thread, I have been unable to find it anywhere and attempts to contact Triax about it as always have fallen on deaf ears.
    I have noticed no difference between in and the Jan 2013 firmware so unsure what differences if any it makes..

I update the box all the time if anyone wants a channel list simply ask me and I will email it to you. You will simply need to fix the terrestrial channels in your own area as I am based in Limerick and scan terrestrial ch 44 and 47.

Another issue is with deleting recordings. The 'delete all' option would not work for me. I had to delete individual recordings. Eventually I had to hook the hard drive to the PC to delete everything as the box was no longer recording.

Anyone know anything about the proposed Freesat / Saorview combi box. Saw a newspaper article a while back but nothing since. A box with full epg, self updating and a hard drive for series link/recording would be great 😆

Anyone know anything about the proposed Freesat / Saorview combi box. Saw a newspaper article a while back but nothing since. A box with full epg, self updating and a hard drive for series link/recording would be great 😆

There is meant to be a box with a service called Saorview Connect coming out at the end of 2016. It will also offer a combi box but the details are still vague. It will offer the option of catchup tv via broadband download with presumably apps like the rte player etc but hard to know if a full freesat epg will be offered.

I am sure rte and other Irish broadcasters must be losing add revenue when big events like sports are being offered on both Irish and UK channels and Irish viewers are choosing to watch the uk channels. I would wonder if the arrangement will see uk channels blocked when the same show is on Irish tv.

We will have to wait and see but I doubt if the box offered will turn out to be a winner as many households have no interest in catchup tv or proper broadband to receive the service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Jivin Ivan

rostalof wrote: »

I'm a bit late replying to this rostalof but I'm having a similar issue with a possible solution.

My problem:
    All channels on the same frequency as Pick and Sky News stopped working for no apparent reason. Signal was good but now Quality is 0.

My Solution: (see update below)
    Only thing that worked was a factory reset from the settings menu followed by a fresh channel scan.
    I also tried restoring my old channel list from backup but this also caused the Quality problem.

Hope this helps you and you havent already got rid of the box.
    Good luck....these are finnicky things.

UPDATE:
    After some more investigation I found that my LNB Frequency (Found in Antenna
    Setting) was set at 9750/10300 but after factory reset and fresh channel scan that it
    is 9750/10600.
    I loaded up my old channel list, changed the LNB Frequency, did a scan and voilla...I
    had my missing channels. I don't know if the LNB frequency affects all channels.

So what I'm suggesting to you rostalof is go to Menu, Installation, select DVB-S in Installation Type, go to Antenna Setting, check your LNB Frequency. If this works it saves you having to reorder all your channels again which is a major pain. Otherwise you could try my original solution above.

BTW I'm no expert, I found these solutions by messing around using the little knowledge I have. The place/person the box was bought from might be able to do it without all the trial and error

Advertisement