Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dumbass question about beef v steak ...

Options
  • 23-02-2012 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Hi folks. Can the foodies who read this please forgive my ignorance for the question I'm about to ask but I'm kind of a newcomer to red meat!

I'm a chicken and veggie kinda gal as I really don't like the taste of roast beef, lamb or pork etc. However I have developed a taste for a good steak when I go out for dinner. I'm going to a posh restaurant this weekend and I've looked up their menu online - loads of duck and lamb and shellfish and other stuff that I hate and no chicken or vegetarian option!!! However they do have two beef options - Fillet of Dry Aged Beef and Corned Silverside of Beef. Stupid question but can I assume that these are types of steaks or not - the word "steak" isn't mentioned..... Can find info about the dry aging process etc but not about what the meat is like!

I have visions of two slices of my Dad's Sunday roast coming out on a plate which (no offence to his genuinely wonderful cooking) would be my worst nightmare...

Apologies again for the ignorance - as I dont eat much meat I dont understand the cuts and terminology. Thanks for any help!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

Fillet of dry aged beef is a steak.
    Corned Silverside of Beef isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

If it really would be your worst nightmare then I would simply ask the waiter to be certain.

Since it does not mention "steak" it is plausible that the "Fillet of Dry Aged Beef " is roasted. Searching the term online I see some which are roasted. In your menus case I would bet it is steak, but no harm asking.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Caroline K

Thanks rubadub and huskerdu for your advice! I just wanted an idea before I go in - I don't like asking questions that are going to make me look like an uncultured idiot in a pretensious restaurant!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,045 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Just to supplement the answers above.

Silverside is a cut of beef.
    Fillet is a cut of beef.
    Corned beef is cured (salted) beef which is usually boiled - as bacon or ham is cured pork which is usually boiled.

The term steak usually refers to any cut of beef that is suitably shaped and tender enough to be cooked quickly - usually by frying or grilling but can be finished in the oven too.

Your fillet of beef will most likely be reminiscent of what most people think of when they think of 'steak'. Even if the fillet is roasted it would't have that 'roast beef' texture that you're probably thinking of.

However, any steak cooked well done will have that kind of dry texture of well done roast beef.

Hope this helps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 Caroline K

Wow that was a super amount of info! Thanks for that. You've explained exactly what I needed to know in that, regardless of what its called or how its cooked, I want something that tastes more like steak and less like roast beef! Have to say the corned beef sounds really interesting... I had spiced beef and Christmas and it was a pleasant surprise so maybe its time to broaden my palate and give something else a go!

Thanks a mil ;)

Just to supplement the answers above.

Silverside is a cut of beef.
    Fillet is a cut of beef.
    Corned beef is cured (salted) beef which is usually boiled - as bacon or ham is cured pork which is usually boiled.

The term steak usually refers to any cut of beef that is suitably shaped and tender enough to be cooked quickly - usually by frying or grilling but can be finished in the oven too.

Your fillet of beef will most likely be reminiscent of what most people think of when they think of 'steak'. Even if the fillet is roasted it would't have that 'roast beef' texture that you're probably thinking of.

However, any steak cooked well done will have that kind of dry texture of well done roast beef.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,045 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Caroline K wrote: »
    Wow that was a super amount of info! Thanks for that. You've explained exactly what I needed to know in that, regardless of what its called or how its cooked, I want something that tastes more like steak and less like roast beef! Have to say the corned beef sounds really interesting... I had spiced beef and Christmas and it was a pleasant surprise so maybe its time to broaden my palate and give something else a go!

Thanks a mil ;)

Corned beef is like spiced beef but not spicy!

Advertisement