Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ideas for the future

Options
  • 23-02-2012 1:17pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,426 CMod ✭✭✭✭

The current family PC is about 7.5 years old, generally it runs fine. It has Win XP Pro SP3, 2GB of RAM, a 3.GHz Intel P4, 240GB HD and a Sapphire Radeon 9200SE Atlantis video card.

It's mostly used for internet, Word, music, etc, but improving its gaming capability would be good for the future. I don't have time to upgrade at the moment, but perhaps closer to Christmas or in 2013 the system could be overhauled. My main question is what to do in the future. I'm thinking that, with support for XP winding down in 2014, we'll have to abandon this and make the move to something else. I'm considering skipping Win 7, seeing what 8 is like and then upgrading. Does that seem wise?

Is there somewhere I can copy the complete list of system spec that's on it at the moment so it's easier to show you what's on it now? System Information?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

download a program called 'speccy' it'll detail everything about the PC.

there isn't any point in talking upgrades and budget now if you don't plan to do anything till 2013.

that said, there is no upgrading that PC. it'll cost more to upgrade the CPU on that socket than to buy a new CPU/RAM/motherboard combined.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,426 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Thanks, that's what I figured. :) Would there be a way of updating the video card, assuming there's something that would be compatible with the existing motherboard?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

Black Oil wrote: »
    I'm considering skipping Win 7, seeing what 8 is like and then upgrading. Does that seem wise?

i'd wait at least until win 8 has sp1 released.

brand new windows operating system always have been buggy as hell and lack decent driver support.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,426 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Yeah. I told my mother to hold off buying a Win 7 laptop for a while until SP1 was available for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Black Oil wrote: »
    Thanks, that's what I figured. :) Would there be a way of updating the video card, assuming there's something that would be compatible with the existing motherboard?
    I wouldn't bother, a lot has changed inside PCs since the P4, your better off with a new Motherboard which means changing just about everything inside as all the connections inside have been upgraded to SATA.

• Advertisement
Advertisement