Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Withheld Number phone calls

Options
  • 23-02-2012 1:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭

I have received a number of calls from withheld numbers & each time the phone would ring twice & the caller would hang up with no message. I have just discovered that the calls were from EI.

My neighbour also received calls from EI credit control on withheld numbers. She is elderly & would not normally answer a withheld number call. Surely with such an important matter as the possible disconnection of electricity the customer should be able to call back which is impossible if you don't know who has called you.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭EI: Una

Hi Discodog,

Thanks for the feedback. We will pass this on to the relevant department.

Regards,
    Una

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭bazlad

Discodog wrote: »
    I have received a number of calls from withheld numbers & each time the phone would ring twice & the caller would hang up with no message. I have just discovered that the calls were from EI.

My neighbour also received calls from EI credit control on withheld numbers. She is elderly & would not normally answer a withheld number call. Surely with such an important matter as the possible disconnection of electricity the customer should be able to call back which is impossible if you don't know who has called you.

Yes, this is an increasing tactic. Whats more worrying is they ask for a load of personal information to verify the identify of the person they are calling.
    This is very poor practice from a State body, the state organs should be advising people NOT to divulge this information to calls they themselves cannot identifty.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Since my last post I have spoken to someone who was almost disconnected. EI claimed that they had phoned the customer many times but got no reply. The customer is an OAP & doesn't answer withheld numbers. Because EI didn't leave a voicemail she had no way of knowing that they had called.

This compounds the other problem where you can never get back to the previous EI person who discussed your case & who didn't make any notes on your file. So you have to go back to square one & start at the beginning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Darren Lalor

Yes it's incredible the amount of withheld number phone calls I get. The phone will ring 3 time in and they hang up, not even leaving a message. 

Is there a law against this?

Advertisement