Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

120L tank stand

Options
  • 23-02-2012 2:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,377 ✭✭✭

I recently acquired a 120L tank. :D
    I am having a bit of difficulty finding an appropiate stand for the tank. I have looked through adverts and donedeal, both do not seem to have any stands at all for sale.
    Can anybody point me in the right direction where I might be able to get a decent stand? I would even be open to the idea of using a chest of drawers for it, although with the weight requirments I would not be sure which one to get.
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I have a tank around the same size, I use a coffee table with a plywood top cut to size. I too was unsure it'd take the weight but I worked out that it'd need to support about 140kg, so OH and I spent an evening sitting on it to make sure it was sturdy, and it hasn't collapsed yet!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

kylith wrote: »
    I have a tank around the same size, I use a coffee table with a plywood top cut to size. I too was unsure it'd take the weight but I worked out that it'd need to support about 140kg, so OH and I spent an evening sitting on it to make sure it was sturdy, and it hasn't collapsed yet!

Agree.

You can make your own very easily too.

I used an "expedit" unit from ikea and screwed a thick piece of ply to the top of it so that there was no overhang from the tank.

I then put some rubber foam matting over the ply to cushion teh glass and bbs yer uncle.

One year on and its still going strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Hatgirl

Degsy wrote: »
    I then put some rubber foam matting over the ply to cushion teh glass and bbs yer uncle.

Yup, some sort of squishy base is very important for a tank that size. With that weight of water pressing down, even a grain of sand caught between the glass base and the stand can crack the glass. I have a big sheet of Styrofoam between my tank and stand.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

You can buy a stand separably from most fish shops

Advertisement