Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Diet for healthy skin.

• 23-02-2012 2:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I am finding that my skin is looking really crap at the moment. I suffer from some mild adult acne and am going through a bit of a flare up at the moment, but in addition to that, my skin is looking really dull, lifeless and wrinkly at the moment.

My diet isn’t overly healthy at the moment, I am eating a lot of processed foods, white bread, sweets, basically all the bad stuff! I am going to make a food plan for next week, and I am going to cut out all the processed stuff, but can anyone advise me on foods that are specifically good for skin? Has anyone improved their acne by sticking to a particular food plan? I already drink a lot of water, but obviously that isn’t going to help much when I’m eating so much crap.

I am not concerned about losing weight, I just want to look a bit healthier. Any tips?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭curry_person

I hope i can help on this i used to suffer very badly with acne and tried loads of different treatments etc.
    I do follow a diet for my skin and find it excellent, takes it awhile to show its full benefits tho to your skin.
    first of all i make sure to drink loads of water! flush out the kidneys and help to detox.
    i try to eat lots of salads etc lots of raw veggies but not all raw tho!
    i dont eat meat myself but lean meat is fine for skin such as chicken, turkey.
    milk is a big NO for skin along with all dairy! MANY people find it flares there skin! im the same after cutting it out i noticed an amazing difference in my skin!
    even if you only use small amount of dairy which i did as well it can make big difference to your skin!
    drinking lots of nettle tea or else burdock tablets are great, there blood detoxers and are very good for the skin!
    zinc tablets are great as well help destroy the acne causing bacteria and has being shown to be as effective as some antibiotics for acne! zinc tablets are really cheap as well anyways :D
    eating lots of fruit and veggies very important and oily fish and diet low in processed foods.
    also i currently using an oxy fash wash and moisturizer it is truly the best i have ever tried on the market! you get them in boots around 7e each, i used to try soo many different acne stuff with either did not work at all! or worked for awhile great and then stopped working on my skin! i am now an oxy fanatic! ive being using it over a year now :) also i use pure witch hazel which is super cheap.
    i hope this helps!:D good luck i know how horrid acne can be! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭danlen

curry_kunt wrote: »
    lean meat is fine for skin such as chicken, turkey.

As opposed to fattier cuts of meat, which are supposedly detrimental?? Not too sure about that now tbh.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Oil cleansing, seriously.

Not a dietary thing but works almost immediately and works like nothing else.

On the diet front, in order of things that are most likely to make a difference:

1. First thing to try is just cutting out junk food, you know this but it might just be enough in conjuntion with the oil cleansing.

2. A good low-dose vitamin E supplement, most vitamin E supps in the shops are way too potent and contain hundreds of times the RDA and for that reason I don't recommend their long term use. I like Jarrow Tocosorb which is derived from red palm oil and contains a natural assortment of tocotrienals and tocopherols. The 'glow' on your skin from using this stuff kicks in after about three days.

3. Vitamin K2 and Vitamin A, get this from eating a small portion of lamb's liver twice a week.

4. Stay away from omega 6 oils, you need to be very strict if acne is very bad, so stay away from all seed oils (sunflower, corn oil, mayonaisse and most kinds of nuts or seeds) and eat pork, olive oil and avocado max twice a week in total. Instead use coconut oil for cooking.

5. Leave out dairy for a while but to be honest I've rarely met anyone who improves their skin giving up dairy unless they were drinking quite a bit of milk in the first place. Definitely worth a try if you're a big milk drinker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Damn, you posts this after I buy a bar of coalface from lush.

Damn, you posts this after I buy a bar of coalface from lush.

You can still use it! But yeah, I spent so much money on dermalogica stuff over the years when a facial steamer costs 15 euro, huge bottle of castor oil and a small bottle of avocado oil costs about 15 euro. And that's enough to last forever. I can't believe how good it works and how little known it is.

• Advertisement

Well the Lush coalface bar does have about 4 oils in. The main being coconut. I'll see how I get on with it then try the castor oil method.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Ophiopogon

I've been using the oil cleanse for a few months now and I find it great. I've never had "problem" skin but seem to be allergic to face wash. Feels great. Takes a bit of time to get the ratio right but just make up some batches to start with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

You can still use it! But yeah, I spent so much money on dermalogica stuff over the years when a facial steamer costs 15 euro, huge bottle of castor oil and a small bottle of avocado oil costs about 15 euro. And that's enough to last forever. I can't believe how good it works and how little known it is.

Thanks for posting this, it sounds fantastic! Can I ask, how often do you do an oil cleanse? The article says not to do it too frequently, but doesn't suggest how often you should do it. Also, how do you remove your make up on days you aren't doing an oil cleanse? The writer of this article seems very down on conventional cleansers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

would that be any good for rosacea? I know it's a seperate issue altogether from typical adult acne but after being diagnosed last year, pretty much nothing I've done has had any effect. it seems pretty random whether or not it will flare up or not. the only thing I do that seems to ahve any effect on it is pigging out on a giant bag of monster munch, but I do that so rarely that it doesn't explain the many other mornings I wake up with lobster face.

ncmc wrote: »
    Thanks for posting this, it sounds fantastic! Can I ask, how often do you do an oil cleanse? The article says not to do it too frequently, but doesn't suggest how often you should do it. Also, how do you remove your make up on days you aren't doing an oil cleanse? The writer of this article seems very down on conventional cleansers.

I still use regular water and simple cleanser to clean, I think the author mainly cautions against the harsh drying cleansers as they can encourage over production of oil.
    would that be any good for rosacea? I know it's a seperate issue altogether from typical adult acne but after being diagnosed last year, pretty much nothing I've done has had any effect. it seems pretty random whether or not it will flare up or not. the only thing I do that seems to ahve any effect on it is pigging out on a giant bag of monster munch, but I do that so rarely that it doesn't explain the many other mornings I wake up with lobster face.

Rosacea is caused by underlying inflammation that can have many causes. I would definitely try some fermented cod liver oil (Green pastures artic mint flavour is the one I use and recommend) for several reasons. It contains vitamin D and omega 3 which have inflammation modulating effects, and vitamin A which has a known connection with skin health, more importantly it is a food not a manufactured supplement so contains all the necessary co-factors to properly utilise the nutrients.

If that doesn't help it could be an issue with your digestion. Sounds crazy but there is a 'brain-gut-skin' axis of sorts. Great overview in this podcast:

http://chriskresser.com/naturally-get-rid-of-acne-by-fixing-your-gut

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

I still use regular water and simple cleanser to clean, I think the author mainly cautions against the harsh drying cleansers as they can encourage over production of oil.

Thanks for that...so how often would you do an oil cleanse? Once or twice a week?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Ophiopogon

Thanks for that...so how often would you do an oil cleanse? Once or twice a week?

I know your asking El D here but just to add my 2 cents...I use it 4 times a week as my only cleanser. I do a homemade scrub twice a week using asprin and oil and rose water as toner.

Depends, more to start with, now I get away with once a fortnight, sometimes less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

I've been thinking about that oil cleanse since this thread, I'm starting to wonder is there a better alternative to shampoo? There's hard water where I live and I find it dries out my skin no end, shampoo on top of that and I tend to have flaky skin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Orla K wrote: »
    I've been thinking about that oil cleanse since this thread, I'm starting to wonder is there a better alternative to shampoo? There's hard water where I live and I find it dries out my skin no end, shampoo on top of that and I tend to have flaky skin.

I'm pretty sure there was a thread in fashion and apperance a few months ago about alternatives to shampoo.

Apparantly your hair doesn't really need shampoo and will learn how to self cleanse after awhile.

I dunno though, I sweat like a mother fooker in the gym and I don't like the idea of having a sweaty head of hair.

I'm pretty sure there was a thread in fashion and apperance a few months ago about alternatives to shampoo.

Apparantly your hair doesn't really need shampoo and will learn how to self cleanse after awhile.

I dunno though, I sweat like a mother fooker in the gym and I don't like the idea of having a sweaty head of hair.

I'm the same, big wet patch on my back, bits of hair stuck to my bright red face, never feel clean until I wash my hair.

Going to search for that thread later.

Orla K wrote: »
    I'm the same, big wet patch on my back, bits of hair stuck to my bright red face, never feel clean until I wash my hair.

Going to search for that thread later.

if you find the thread, link it here

if you find the thread, link it here

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056113587

I can't take the credit with finding this Stench Blossoms sent me the link.

I tried going 'poo free for a while. Did the baking soda thing, the ACV thing etc. Was about three weeks when it was so horrible feeling that I was either going to shave my head or wash my hair. I went back to shampoo :) Then again I have thick black hair, apparently people with fine hair do best no 'poo.

You might investigate your local health food shop for sodium lauryl sulfate-free shampoo, that's the most drying ingredient usually.

I tried going 'poo free for a while. Did the baking soda thing, the ACV thing etc. Was about three weeks when it was so horrible feeling that I was either going to shave my head or wash my hair. I went back to shampoo :) Then again I have thick black hair, apparently people with fine hair do best no 'poo.

You might investigate your local health food shop for sodium lauryl sulfate-free shampoo, that's the most drying ingredient usually.

I'm also broke! Might try the baking soda/acv. Oddly I think it's more the water than the shampoo, I think the gym has a filter system and it's never as bad when I shower there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Hi guys rather than start a new thread about skin I was wondering could someone answer my question here

I have really dry itchy skin on my face lately. I'm eating well most of the time and drink lots of water, take evening primrose oil, don't think it's my shampoo so I'm thinking it's the air conditioning in work? It's v warm in the office and then in other parts of the building it's cold so could this be causing it? Any solutions to the problem?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

I don't think hair ever 'self-cleans', any more than a t-shirt worn every day will self-clean. It's out there in the elements, and as you say, is affected by sweat and natural oil. Having stood next to many a dreadlocked crustie on the metro in Barcelona I can tell you their hair was rank.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 35 robertjack780

You need to take some vitamin c rich source fruit..

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Cait87

Agree with no diary. Humans aren't meant to have diary, I'm pale but eat 2 oranges 2 bananas a day along with other natural foods, fish for dinner on a daily basis. It give me a pink completion instead of a white 'havent seen the sun for days look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

Cait87 wrote: »
    Agree with no diary. Humans aren't meant to have diary, I'm pale but eat 2 oranges 2 bananas a day along with other natural foods, fish for dinner on a daily basis. It give me a pink completion instead of a white 'havent seen the sun for days look.

who says humans arent mean to have "dairy"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

Cait87 wrote: »

Maybe SOME humans, but people in northern Europe have evolved to tolerate diary products and lactose and not get sick from it. I don't think dairy is bad if you feel fine after you eat or drink it. Irish people are well adapted to have dairy:

Cheese, yoghurt and milk are good for you!!

Maybe SOME humans, but people in northern Europe have evolved to tolerate diary products and lactose and not get sick from it. I don't think dairy is bad if you feel fine after you eat or drink it. Irish people are well adapted to have dairy:

Cheese, yoghurt and milk are good for you!!

Totally agreed, the Irish diet before potatoes became dominant seemed to comprise mostly dairy, and very sour dairy at that.

But as you said, some people do badly on it, no harm doing an experiment of cutting it out for a month and seeing if it improves any ailment that one thinks might be caused by it.

Totally agreed, the Irish diet before potatoes became dominant seemed to comprise mostly dairy, and very sour dairy at that.

But as you said, some people do badly on it, no harm doing an experiment of cutting it out for a month and seeing if it improves any ailment that one thinks might be caused by it.

Of course, I was just pointing out that it's not an issue for everyone and responding mainly to the comment that humans shouldn't drink/eat dairy products at all. :) In Ireland it would only be about 10% of the population that would have an issue with it. But still there is no harm in cutting it out for a little while to rule out the possibility that it might be causing problems.

Of course, I was just pointing out that it's not an issue for everyone and responding mainly to the comment that humans shouldn't drink/eat dairy products at all. :) In Ireland it would only be about 10% of the population that would have an issue with it. But still there is no harm in cutting it out for a little while to rule out the possibility that it might be causing problems.

Oh sorry, wasn't disagreeing, just adding to your point :)

• Advertisement

Oh sorry, wasn't disagreeing, just adding to your point :)

You're grand, don't apologise!:p I totally got your point and fully agree with it!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

You're grand, don't apologise!:p I totally got your point and fully agree with it!:)

Fully agree too !

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Cait87

mickman wrote: »
    Fully agree too !

Yes thanks for opening my mind all this talk of diary I seen milkman instead of mickman.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭pookiesboo

Avocados.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭colman1212

4. Stay away from omega 6 oils, you need to be very strict if acne is very bad, so stay away from all seed oils (sunflower, corn oil, mayonaisse and most kinds of nuts or seeds) and eat pork, olive oil and avocado max twice a week in total. Instead use coconut oil for cooking.

Hey man, I've noticed a big difference in my skin since going paleo but still get the odd spot on my neck/back. I do eat bacon and avocado quite a bit, just wondering why you advise twice a week? I eat half an avo every day at the moment.

colman1212 wrote: »
    Hey man, I've noticed a big difference in my skin since going paleo but still get the odd spot on my neck/back. I do eat bacon and avocado quite a bit, just wondering why you advise twice a week? I eat half an avo every day at the moment.

Do you have long hair or sweat a lot? That's more likely to cause the odd neck or back spot than anything else.

You can get body washes that contain BHA, a mild chemical exfoliant, these prevent the blocked pores that lead to spots.

In my own experience, chin and nose spots are more likely to resolve with diet. Whereas forehead and other spots respond better to a good skincare routine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭colman1212

Nah, Have short hair. I'll give the castor oil/sunflower oil thing a go and see how thats works :-) I'll check out the bah thing too.

Advertisement