Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Bord Planala

Options
  • 23-02-2012 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Well done to An Bord Planala - or should that be An Bord Fawlty?

They have refused planning permission for a national hospital for children in Dublin.

Yet, less than two years ago, permission was given to build a gaelscoil on the Tank Field, in Cork City, because it was of strategic national importance.

How could building a school on the specific site of Tank Field be considered of strategic national importance, while a national hospital for children is not considered important?

Grotesque. Unbelievable. Bizarre. ….

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭Curly Judge

I am elated at the decision.
    Thank God someone had the gumption to stand up to the idiots who proposed shoehorning a major project like this into a ludicrous site.
    I now call on the government to set up a task force, select a greenfield site near Newlands Cross, push through the design and planning stages within 12 months, and get on with the construction as soon as possible.
    This should receive the same priority as a war time emergency.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Thank God someone had the gumption to stand up to the idiots who proposed shoehorning a major project like this into a ludicrous site.
    I now call on the government to set up a task force, select a greenfield site near Newlands Cross, push through the design and planning stages within 12 months, and get on with the construction as soon as possible.

Couldn't agree more. Twas a stupid place to put it.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭one foot in the grave

Selection of a greenfield site would not be in the best interests of our sick children. The best childrens hospitals in the world that deliver the best outcomes for the children they are there to serve are located beside adult teaching hospitals. They are able to utilise the expertise and resources a large teaching hospital has to offer.

The joint Task Force believed siting the paediatric hospital at the Mater would place it between the neurosurgical and transplant teams in Beaumont Hospital and the haematology/radiotherapy and burns staff in St James Hospital thereby maximising access to the relevant off site expertise while availing of the considerable expertise in the Mater.

It's having access to this expertise that will provide a better outcome for the children who will attend a national childrens hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭Curly Judge

Selection of a greenfield site would not be in the best interests of our sick children. The best childrens hospitals in the world that deliver the best outcomes for the children they are there to serve are located beside adult teaching hospitals. They are able to utilise the expertise and resources a large teaching hospital has to offer.

The joint Task Force believed siting the paediatric hospital at the Mater would place it between the neurosurgical and transplant teams in Beaumont Hospital and the haematology/radiotherapy and burns staff in St James Hospital thereby maximising access to the relevant off site expertise while availing of the considerable expertise in the Mater.

It's having access to this expertise that will provide a better outcome for the children who will attend a national childrens hospital.

I fully agree, but to access the expertise you first have to be able to access the hospital.
    Have you ever tried to find a parking space around the Mater even as it exists now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

I think people are getting all emotional about this because it's a childrens hospital. If the same building was intended for any other purpose the reaction would be much different but An Bord Planala wouldn't be doing a good job if it just sat there and allowed the builders and designers of childrens hospitals to do what they want.

This is the times we live in unfortunately with children being given this elevated status. People be wanting blood for a caught paedophile but the common rapist gets a slap on the wrist. Draconian safety regulation is OK if "saves one child's life". It's all about the bloody children and you can't say a bad word about them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭one foot in the grave

I fully agree, but to access the expertise you first have to be able to access the hospital.
    Have you ever tried to find a parking space around the Mater even as it exists now?

I have looked for parking when visiting Temple St and Crumlin and Tallaght. Tallaght was a nightmare, the other two not far behind. But wasn't there well over 1000 car park spaces to be built on this site?

Advertisement