Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lodging business cheque to personal account

Options
  • 23-02-2012 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

Hi,

Sorry for bringing up this topic again but it has been a few years since this was answered. I am setting up as a soletrader and I really dont want to go and open a business bank account. I have an extra personal account that I dont use so I am going to use that for business purposes. However, is it possible to lodge a cheque with my business name into my personal account?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭CompanyBureau

I'd doubt it but try ringing your bank..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Nope - the bank will make you open a business bank account, whereas personal banking is pretty much free still business accounts will cost you.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭johneire31

they usually insist that you separate your personal account from business stuff, must make it easier for them to grab when stuff goes wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

LJL wrote: »
    Hi,

Sorry for bringing up this topic again but it has been a few years since this was answered. I am setting up as a soletrader and I really dont want to go and open a business bank account. I have an extra personal account that I dont use so I am going to use that for business purposes. However, is it possible to lodge a cheque with my business name into my personal account?

I presume you will register the name of the business and wil be called LJL t/a bloggs clogs.
    Once you give the bank a copy of the registration, then there shouldn't be a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭TheWaterboy

I had a similiar problem - registered as a Sole Trader and BOI insisted I open a business account. That was about 4 years ago. Business Account is nothing but hardship and their online offering is pratically non existant...

Cue a few months ago, I went into my local BOI and told them my issue with their business setup. I convinced the manager to allow me open a personal account..Full 365 online banking etc etc which makes my life much easier...

Banks can be so unhelpful sometimes especially with lodging cheques. Sometimes if a cheque has wrong T/A name on it or something they can refuse it...And then you have to go get it reissued...A bit of common sense by banks would help alot of businesses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

I had a similiar problem - registered as a Sole Trader and BOI insisted I open a business account. That was about 4 years ago. Business Account is nothing but hardship and their online offering is pratically non existant...

Cue a few months ago, I went into my local BOI and told them my issue with their business setup. I convinced the manager to allow me open a personal account..Full 365 online banking etc etc which makes my life much easier...

Banks can be so unhelpful sometimes especially with lodging cheques. Sometimes if a cheque has wrong T/A name on it or something they can refuse it...And then you have to go get it reissued...A bit of common sense by banks would help alot of businesses.

BoI do have a online business banking, you just have to sign up for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭writhen

BOI online business banking is a bloody awful user experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭amber2

If you are Joe Bloggs t/a then you are entitled to register for B365 online free of charge, if you are a Ltd Co then you have to use BOI Online service which is €15 per month. New Business accounts get free BOL for 2yrs but I find Banking 365 easier to use.

If you are opening up a business then open a business account you get 2 yrs free banking for small business start up and as for lodging cheques they have to be made payable to the name you have on your Trading Cert which the bank take a copy of when opening the account you have to ensure that you customers are aware of this when writing a cheque. Cheque can be made payable to either you or the trading as name registered. Hope this helps.

http://businessbanking.bankofireland.com/current-accounts/business-start-up-guides/business-start-up-package

Advertisement