Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

will a fas cert on its own...

Options
  • 23-02-2012 3:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

... get me a job ?

times are tuff, which normally means you'll need a degree to get what was once a cert level job. are there any jobs after a fas it course, or are they for padding out IT cvs .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Depends. I got my first job because I ran a huge tech support forum on the net. Didn't need a cert from FAS, that was more then enough. Now days the cert might get you a interview but the rest is dependant on what you did outside of the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭druidhill

On it's own at this time, I'd say highly unlikely. It would depend on a number of factors, including what area of IT it's in, location, what your work experience before that was (including non-IT roles), personal attitude and work ethic etc.

Some of the FAS courses have an element of work experience where you could be lucky enough to be kept on - possible, but realistically for every person that this happens for there are many more where it does not.

I would advise you to ask the FAS trainer delivering the course this exact question, see what she / he has to say. (If you asked them that question 4 - 5 years ago, I'd imagine you would have got a different answer).

If you do decide to do the course, put as much effort into it as you can, you never know where it could lead you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 albe

thanks for the honest replies guys,

i scanned thru the fas websites and culled off these courses for IT and programming ->

Operating Systems, Networking and Technical Support

CompTIA A+ 2009
    CompTIA Network+ 2009
    Windows XP Installation and Administration
    Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Managing a Server Environment
    Microsoft Server 2008 Active Directory Configuration
    Microsoft Server 2008 Network Infrastructure Configuration
    Microsoft Server 2008 Applications Infrastructure Configuration
    Cisco ICND1 1.0
    Cisco ICND2 1.0

Software Development / Programming

Java Programming S.E.6 - Online - 14 Weeks
    Java Programmer - DUN LAOIGHAIRE - RATHDOWN 27 Weeks

so none of these courses will get someone a job unless they are already more or less employable in a similar job ?

i know most fas courses are a complete waste of time but im a little disappointed to hear this about their tech line up, especially given the present and future jobs scene here. ...joans pathways to work is just a pathway to another pathway :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

I've got option from FAS to do this one:

Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Managing a Server Environment

We have Server 2008 in the company and I wonder if there any use to study Server 2003. I found them quite different (Sharepoint)? At the moment only one FAS course covers Server 2008 (Active Directory Configuration) at the "beginner" level but it's full.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 paddy38

hello everyone does anyone know when fas are starting the icnd 1.0 for cisco networks i know they say it's an online and that you are given 3 months to complete it but i havent received any passwords as to access the course

• Advertisement
Advertisement