Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile IP

Options
  • 23-02-2012 3:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi everyone,

I have to implement a small network showing mobile IP in operation.

Can anyone recommend some software for this?

Preferably running on a windows as I will be using a mix of XP and Win7 machines.

Any help, however big or small, would be greatly appreciated

Rob

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

Is this an academic task? I thought Mobile IP was basically for smart phones and PDA's with a home IP connecting to wireless or mobile networks on the move, not PC's within a single network.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

If it's academic (student) then you could implement a simulation of it on a single machine in OpNET ITGuru Edition, free once you have a recognised student email account.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 robbyrne22

Yes it is. This is my fourth year project. My supervisor wants me to build it.

My basic configuration will be, 1 router, 3 machines; 1 for the Home agent, 1 for the mobile node, and 1 for the corespondent node. This is the configuration I have to use.

I'm really starting to panic now as I am so far behind. I've spent all my time so far looking for software online to do this. I'm finding it very difficult to find anything.

Anything open source that I do find is very old and requires a linux based OS. I have installed Ubuntu on VirtualBox. Obviously I'd prefer using Windows with a nice friendly GUI.

I don't want you to think I'm just lazy and am looking for the easy way out with someone to help me. I'm a mature student, I work had but this really has me in trouble!

What exactly is the project to do? I don't quite understand.

Is it showing a device arriving and departing a particular network?
    Is it to show how a device roams (moves) seamlessly from one particular network to another?
    Is it purely networking or are their software elements to it aswell?
    What is the role of the "correspondent"? Versus, say, the "home" node.

So the point of it is, to install WireShark and observe what overhead there is in forwarding the packets destined for the mobile device when it's in it's home network and then when it is in a foreign network.

The corespondent node is any other device which is communicating with the mobile node, so like a server say.

Basically, what my supervisor has said what he expects to see is; the network I described earlier and basically I will simply remove the network cable attaching the mobile node and move it to another interface on the router, therefore changing the network its on, and the home agent should forward the packets to the mobile node in it's new network.

I hope I'm explaining this properly.....

• Advertisement

In that scenario, the router would forward the packets though? As that's a router's primary purpose - to route between networks :)
    How much detail are you expected to go into? I take it it is a Level 8 Honours Degree ("fourth year project").

You could start with a basic OpNET Simulation, mock up the network and simulate what you would expect to see happen and once you've got that working then simulate differing traffic loads, roaming between networks of varying capacity, latency, jitter etc. That could be your background and research.

Step 2, you then build a virtual test lab - grab yourself a copy of VMware Server (free) and create some virtual machines, Ubuntu would be handiest if you're not familiar with Linux, it has a nice gui and free! Create a home, a correspondent, a mobile etc. - on virtual networks.
    Handy thing with VMware is you can set up one VM, install the OS and then clone that to create however many individual VMs you want. You can then snapshot them so if you completely mess up when trying to configure something and they stop working, a few clicks and you're back to your snapshot. Nothing worse than having to completely re-install three or four machines :).
    This could be your implementation.

Once you've VMware working you may want to then replicate it on physical machines with real routers if you had them. You could use this as a "real world" demonstration of your research and findings.

I don't know if the above is the direction you need or want to go, it'll depend really on what overall course you're doing but hoepfully it's some inspiration!

Thanks for your help.

I just don't know where to start with regard to creating the Mobile, corespondent and home networks...physical or simulation. I downloaded the latest Ubuntu and yes, it certainly has a nice GUI. I'll have a word with my supervisor tomorrow. I think my knowledge in this area is just too limited to be honest. I feel this is way over my head. Probably shouldn't be for a Level 8 student...

You're supposed to feel that way with a final year project, challenged ;)

Ha, right you are. Thanks buddy :)

Advertisement