Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you drop out of UCD, and come back as a mature?

Options
  • 23-02-2012 3:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭

Might drop out, take a few years out then do COmmerce? Can you do this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭TDOie

Of course you can do it. You can do anything you set your mind to. I believe in you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Pandoras Twist

You will have to pay fees for the years you have already done. If you're in first year you will have to pay first year fees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

But why would you :confused:. Taking a year out is understandable but 4 or 5 ? Why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Pacifist Pigeon

But why would you :confused:. Taking a year out is understandable but 4 or 5 ? Why?

Probably to work, get some money together, see and experience the world, etc.. come back when you're more mature and enlightened ... doesn't seem like the worst idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Yuliyaucd

I am a mature student myself, and I can honestly say that it will be very difficult to come back. If I were you, I would finish what I started and not give up till the end, cos the more mature you are the more responsibilities in life you have and the harder the juggling will be between studies, work, GF or maybe wife, kids (cos a couple of years can turn into a decade...)

So, my advice, think carefully, listen to your heart, to your parents, close friends...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

EdenHazard wrote: »

The only advantage afaik of specifically being a mature applicant is reduced entry requirements... it's sort of the point of mature entry (although some may also be eligible for Back to Education Allowance). It could be a more welcome alternative to repeating the leaving cert (mature entry is what? 23 years old? something like that). Alternatively, depending on circumstances, you may be able to take a leave of absence for a year.

Just remember that the longer you are in a course, the more full fees that you will have to pay if you take up another undergraduate course. If you drop out of your current course now you will have to pay one year of full fees for Commerce, for instance.

Clearly it would be too late to apply to the CAO for 2012/13 anyway... but if entry requirements are the barrier to you taking up commerce, there's nothing stopping you from sitting the LC again this summer. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭mumtoe&e

EdenHazard wrote: »

Oh don't do it!
    I am a mature student - age 32 with two kids. It's so so hard trying to juggle it all!
    I know you probably aren't going to go off & have a few kids, but the years soon clock up!

My advice would be don't drop out, finish it while you are young with no added ties!

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

You should also factor in the fact that there are going to be several billion euro in cuts to expenditure every year for the next couple of years. The financial supports that are currently in place may very well be gone by the time you come back.

Advertisement