Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lunarglide +4

• 23-02-2012 4:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭

I see that nike are now releasing a new model of the lunarglide

http://sneakernews.com/2012/02/21/nike-lunarglide-4/

I know the Lunarglide +3 was a bit of a disaster but christ is there any real need to be launching a new model (other than making $$$$) so soon after releasing the last ones. IIRC the original Lunarglides came out in 2009 so this in now 4 models in 3 years.

Ridiculous IMO.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 978 ✭✭✭JohnnyCrash

menoscemo wrote: »

I know the Lunarglide +3 was a bit of a disaster but christ is there any real need to be launching a new model (other than making $$$$) so soon after releasing the last ones. IIRC the original Lunarglides came out in 2009 so this in now 4 models in 3 years.

Ridiculous IMO.
    And heres me after finding that the 3's suited me.On the plus side,might make them cheaper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

Ridiculous IMO.
    Took me some time and blacl nails, blisters ect... but i finally broke in the 3s and find them great now. Hope they sell off the 3s cheap. Ill buy a few pairs of them:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

And heres me after finding that the 3's suited me.On the plus side,might make them cheaper.

I got the 3's for €40 about 2 months ago in JJB. I doubt they've got any dearer in the meantime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

I thought the original Lunarglide was ok, the 2's a step back which I need to change soon.
    Actually on my run tonight I was wondering if I should chance the 3's for the big one in London. Surprised to hear 4's are been launched so soon now.

Abhainn wrote: »
    I thought the original Lunarglide was ok, the 2's a step back which I need to change soon.
    Actually on my run tonight I was wondering if I should chance the 3's for the big one in London. Surprised to hear 4's are been launched so soon now.

I wouldn't try that if I were you abhainn. Like you I loved the 1s. I then took a while to get used to the 2s but I can't wear the 3s at all- totally different shoe now, seems to have loads more pronation suport making them uncomfortable for a neutral runner.

Have you tried the Saucony Kinvaras?

• Advertisement

I wouldn't try that if I were you abhainn. Like you I loved the 1s. I then took a while to get used to the 2s but I can't wear the 3s at all- totally different shoe now, seems to have loads more pronation suport making them uncomfortable for a neutral runner.

Thanks for the sound advise menoscemo, I won't trying out the 3's then.
    I will seriously think about the Kinvaras, will try and pick a pair up this weekend before the Kinvara ( what a coincidence:)) half next weekend.
    I seen you have pair of the lunarfly 2 too? These are probably not suited 26 miles + though?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056540507

I will seriously think about the Kinvaras, will try and pick a pair up this weekend before the Kinvara ( what a coincidence:)) half next weekend.
    I seen you have pair of the lunarfly 2 too? These are probably not suited 26 miles + though?

No they surely are!! The kinvaras are actually a much lighter shoe with less support than the Lunarflys.
    I Like both, but I prefer the lightness and the low heel to toe drop of the Kinvaras. I've worn them for 3 marathons, the Donadea 50k last week and will wear them in the Conn Ultra this year. When I gave up on the Lunarglides last year I got a pair of kinavaras and they immediately became my 'shoe of choice' for training and long distance racing

The Lunarflys might actually be a good bet for you if you are worried about the minimalism of the Kinvaras. The new nike Zoom elite might be a good shout too (they have them in AK now I think).

Im a neutral runner and am loving the glides.Have a pair of Saucony Triumph 8's and cant get used to them at all.Mad is'nt it:eek:

Im a neutral runner and am loving the glides.Have a pair of Saucony Triumph 8's and cant get used to them at all.Mad is'nt it:eek:

Yeah it sure is.

I know a guy who is a big pronator (usually waers structure triax) and he is loving the glide 3s as well. That's what makes me suspect they are more of a guidance shoe than before (running warehouse and other websites list them in the 'support' category as well - the old shoes were always in the 'neutral-cushioning' sections).

But yeah everyone is different, I just know that they do not suit the shape of my foot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

I've been revolving mine with the lunarglide 1s and a pair of saucony pro guide. I've been mainly using them for recovery 5 mile runs and I'm starting to come round. When I first got them I took the laces out and put in the elasticated lock laces and I think this may have been some of the problem as since putting the laces back in I feel more comfortable in them. In saying that though, the following day I normally wear the 1s and you realise how much better they are. More snug and lite.

• Advertisement

The Lunarflys might actually be a good bet for you if you are worried about the minimalism of the Kinvaras. The new nike Zoom elite might be a good shout too (they have them in AK now I think).

Got the Zoom elite today from AK. Initial thoughts are a very comfortable shoe with sufficient support, feel light though they weight in at about 305g. Will try them on a run this evening

I got the 3's for €40 about 2 months ago in JJB. I doubt they've got any dearer in the meantime.
    Do you know if they still have them at that price? Have you a linky? Cheers in advance

Do you know if they still have them at that price? Have you a linky? Cheers in advance

It was a sell of in JJB's just after christmas. Looked like they were getting rid of their old stock. That's around the same time I got the lunarflys for €50 and the Puma Faas for €20.

Not sure if they are still there, I'll check next time I'm up.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭nellocono

As a neutral runner myself, I happen to love the LunarGlides 3. Originally had Saucony Triumph 6's which I convinced myself were great. Once I got used to the LunarGlides, I couldnt even dream of going back to Triumph as they are like cinder blocks.

Will definitely, keep with the LunarGlides especially for the longer stuff. Am currently looking for something for the shorter stuff - narrowed down to the Skechers Go Run or Kinvara 2....

nellocono wrote: »
    As a neutral runner myself, I happen to love the LunarGlides 3. Originally had Saucony Triumph 6's which I convinced myself were great. Once I got used to the LunarGlides, I couldnt even dream of going back to Triumph as they are like cinder blocks.

Will definitely, keep with the LunarGlides especially for the longer stuff. Am currently looking for something for the shorter stuff - narrowed down to the Skechers Go Run or Kinvara 2....
    Thats gas,wore the Triumph 8's for a 2.5 mile WALK on wednesday night and could feel pains starting in the shins. 6 mile tempo last night in the Glides-not a niggle:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Isn't this Nike's policy though? i.e. Keep altering the designs until they become a completely different beast ensuring customers buy multiples of a shoe they actually like.

Like you I loved the 1s. I then took a while to get used to the 2s but I can't wear the 3s at all- totally different shoe now, seems to have loads more pronation suport making them uncomfortable for a neutral runner.

I'm gonna have to be fair here and admit I have since taken the 3's out for a few short runs and they are much better than at first. I guess for some reason they just take ages to break in. This seems to be the experience for a few other people as well.

If anybody hears of the 3's going cheap anywhere,can they let me know? Cheers in advance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

I'm gonna have to be fair here and admit I have since taken the 3's out for a few short runs and they are much better than at first. I guess for some reason they just take ages to break in. This seems to be the experience for a few other people as well.
    I fought them into submission and have done as far as the 50k in donadea in them without one problem. Ill be buying a few more pairs if they are going cheap anywhere.

this was like the lunarfly 2 for me. didn't like it at the start as it hurt the arch in my left foot but it broke in nicely after about 40 miles or so. lunarlon softens as you use it. like the shoe now.

• Advertisement

Well as it happens I won a pair of the Kinvara 2 from the Kinvara half 10 days back. Picked them up (a size 10.5 instead of my normal 10) and tried them today.
    First impressions are very positive, and they are sooo light but still feel good
    Half thinking I may get away with racing in them in London.
    Will try them this weekends 5 mile race and maybe Wicklow half next weekend.
    The Nike Zoom elite 5 will be trialed on a 20 miler this Sunday, not sure if they are just slightly too small, they are a size 10 and I always fit well in that size from Nike

You won't look back Abhainn. I have worn them for all marathons and a few ultras since I have gotten them and never had any kind of niggle. Great shoe.

You won't look back Abhainn. I have worn them for all marathons and a few ultras since I have gotten them and never had any kind of niggle. Great shoe.

really good I agree but absolutely no support! how many miles do you get out of them btw?

glasso wrote: »
    really good I agree but absolutely no support! how many miles do you get out of them btw?

I don't agree with the no support. I pronate a bit when tired but recently managed a 50k trail race in them no bother. The terrain was fairly rough as well. I'll be wearing them in the upcoming 39.3 mile conn ultra without a doubt.

The cushioning is just as thick as a normal pair of neutral runners, just the uppers are very minimal. Yes there is a lesser heel to toe drop but I naturally strike with my forefoot so it makes no difference to me.

I haven't worn out a pair yet so i can't answer the second question. I think the first pair has at least 400 miles in them at the minute

Advertisement