Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of getting a rabbit? Help please?

• 23-02-2012 4:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

Hi Everyone,

I'm thinking of getting a rabbit. I've never had one before so Just looking for some advise?

Are they nice to have?
    Do they require alot of attention?
    Are they expensive to keep?

I'm wondering if anyone has a rabbit & hutch they need to find a home for? I was looking on Gumtree & Donedeal and there is a good few people looking for good homes for their rabbits & hutches but there all in Dublin. Plus I'm not sure if its a good idea to go that route??

I'm based in Waterford & I was wondering if anyone knew someone who might be moving etc...

Any help would be much appreciated!! :)

Michelle

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Yes, they are nice to have. But please make sure, you have them neutered, if two different sexes...you know, they are able to have many small ones ;)

About the costs, I would say 10-15 Euro/week for food and hay.

I would say, most of them like attention, mine raise up their ears when I call them and love being cuddled :)

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭M25

Would it be better to get 2 girls or 2 boys or 1 of each? Def will be neutered! :)

Thats grand for the costs.

Aww thats so cute! I'd love that!! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

I'd go down the rescue route try Limerick Animal Welfare they have buns and the DSPCA I know both aren't in your area but lots of rescues rehome way outside their county.

You should house them indoors at this time of year a hutch is OK but in extreme weather few hutches are suitable.
    I would do some more research first check out the rabbitty websites and ensure you are set up before the rabbits come along.

They are nice, some rabbits love cuddles some hate it, they are prey animals so can be flighty. They need loads and loads of space not just a hutch and run, most hutches aren't suitable it has to be a minimum of 6 feet. The run has to be larger, ideally keeping them indoors is safest and in a strong secure run in the day when it's mild out. If you have a spare room you can rabbit proof that would be ideal.

Housing and vet care would be the higher costs, general food etc. isn't expensive. They must be vaccinated against VHD and Myxi, be wormed and groomed and cleaned daily they can be litter trained (for wee) but can poop everywhere. Obviously neutering/spaying by an experienced vet is important. Ensure you have a vet in your area that can deal with rabbits, if not it's not a good idea to get one because when rabbits are ill they go downhill fast.

Advertisement