Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Removing wax finish

• 23-02-2012 4:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭

I have a timber bed that is stained and waxed - However over time the wax has worn off where the pillows have rubbed on the headboard, leaving two differently coloured patches. I was thinking a harder wearing finish would be something like yacht varnish or similar, but i pressume it won't adhere very well to the wax. Is there an easy way to remove the wax coating?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

I imagine white spirits should shift the wax without raising the grain. You could use a bit of fine wire wool to help it along. Have you considered re-waxing the worn areas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Thanks slimjimmc, i've touched it up a couple of times over the years, but the lazy answer is it's a lot of elbow grease (the official answer is it stinks up the bedroom:D). I was worried that white spirits would make the staining patchy (i diluted the stain with white spirits years ago, back when i made the thing)
    I've had a quick look online and there doesn't seem to be any advice as to how to remove wax, most of the info is on how to preserve it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Forgive me for spannering the works but i simply redone the wax on our bed when i had the exact same problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I have redone it before, to be honest i was just looking for a lazier way! It's a lot of elbow grease to rewax it.

Advertisement