Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Just wondering if anyone can help me with this competition...

• 23-02-2012 5:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭

St. Patrick is the Patron Saint of

A. Scotland
    B. Ireland
    C. Wales

The prize is, apparently, a Saint Patricks day "pot of gold", a trip to New York and €1000 spending money.
    I'd assumed that the answer was going to be New York but it didn't show up on the list of answers.

Oh and now for the small print.

"One winner every 3 months. Max Prize value is €3000. Subscription service €4 per week. 18+. To unsubscribe send stop to 57052. Data charges may apply. Ts & Cs apply."
    Interestingly the unsubscribe number is different than the number used for entry.

When did every competition become completely retarded? I get why they do it, they want more people to enter, but this is too much. Also who the hell is entering these things? I'd rather play the lotto, well, maybe.
    It's not even just these stupid ads that have moronic competitions.

These text message questions you see advertised are particular crafty though. Locking people into a subscription like that in the small print. At least a few years ago the law was changed so you had to legally be allowed to text "stop" to a number to make it stop. I remember being ripped off by some ring tone company years ago after downloading the crazy frog or some ****e like that back in the day :pac: :o
    I'm willing to bet the majority of people that text this number will not know that they are going to be charged next week too.

Every where has them now though. The Late Late Show has these idiot questions as standard nowadays.
    Perhaps the internet has ruined the purpose of bothering to ask half decent questions but Jesus just say text enter, to enter then rather than this crap.
    Why not ask people to think up something imaginative like a joke or something instead.
    People are going to say it's all about the money but the likes of the Late Late Show are usually being given these prizes for marketing reason. Why should they be cashing on people again. The viewer has already been advertised the service/product and paid a TV license.
    Grrrrrrrrr:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

B

/thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Fairly sure it's Ireland OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Basically, the easier the question, the more people text or call in, and the more money they make.

I may be mistaken, but I remember hearing that there was legislation brought in in the past stopping tv programmes from simply giving money away to a randomly-selected caller. There had to be some level of skill or knowledge involved in getting the money.

So they introduced the questions, but kept them simple to ensure as many people entered as possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 969 ✭✭✭some random drunk

The Late Late Show has these idiot questions as standard nowadays.
    Perhaps the internet has ruined the purpose of bothering to ask half decent questions but Jesus just say text enter, to enter then rather than this crap.

Grrrrrrrrr:mad:

As far as I know, the law in Ireland requires a person entering a competition to successfully answer a question, regardless of how silly the question may be. I agree with you though, I find these kinds of competition stupid and annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭AngryBollix

They should publish the names of people who get the answer wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

One winner every 3 months... €4 per week.... So €48 over the 3 months to stay in with chance to win, and there's only one winner... WTF! Unbelievable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

The son of King David had ten thousand wives and his wisdom was highly regarded.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

What I'm curious about is who the people behind these text-your-answer competitions are.

If anyone saves up a few grand can they buy some ad time and offer to give it away to someone who texts the right answer, or do you have to be a registered company?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

What I'm curious about is who the people behind these text-your-answer competitions are.

If anyone saves up a few grand can they buy some ad time and offer to give it away to someone who texts the right answer, or do you have to be a registered company?
    Text your question to 57028 to find out!

Texts cost loads. Number may or may not exist.

I can't believe so many numpties still fall for this crap. Good business to be in, actually might be something I consider setting up myself when this inheritance from my nigerian cousin comes through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Duh its wales

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

One winner every 3 months... €4 per week.... So €48 over the 3 months to stay in with chance to win, and there's only one winner... WTF! Unbelievable
    Max Prize value is €3000 so may be worth less

All they need is slightly over 60 subscribers and they are in profit.

That's if they are actually giving out real prizes.

Companies in the UK have been successfully prosecuted for fake competitions. Can't find a link , but it was uncovered when the same "people" were multiple several competitions

our telephone regulators and regulations are typically behind those in the UK

But the phone in competitions have not been legit in the UK, even with the biggest brands. So you can imagine how it is here with unbranded carpet baggers.

Channel 5
    http://www.out-law.com/page-8177
    BBC
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/6449919.stm
    ITV

http://journal.media-culture.org.au/0710/09-ibrahim.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭micropig

I've just remortgaged my penthouse apartment in Downtown New York so I can afford to enter the competition....Hope I win, fingers crossed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Sometimes, after I've eaten, my stomach makes noises like pigeons cooing softly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Even 2fm's at it these days OP.

TEXT the word cash, followed by your answer, then your name to 57111.
    Remember, no other number, lines will close in exactly eleven.... Months.

And its usually some crap prize on offer, what was advertised as a years petrol or diesel is actually a grands worth! So ten Weeks to some people :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Like the Lotto, these things are an extra tax on the stupid.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Like the Lotto, these things are an extra tax on the stupid.
    The lotto is a tax, because govt spend the money

these things are just carpetbaggers taking advantage of people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭senorwipesalot

That bollix was french.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

I hate those competitions, they are really stupid, like everyone has the "tinternet"

Advertisement