Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coder Dojo's

Options
  • 23-02-2012 5:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭

Hey Guys...
    I've posted this in the Clare forum too. (Apologies Mods!!)

Is there anyone else around Clare that would be interested in setting up a
    Coder Dojo. I'd preferably like to be involved in setting one up in West Clare as there are so few resousces for this sort of thing there..

http://coderdojo.com/

If there are any others out there that would be interested in this could you get in touch. I think it'd be something great and fun to do.

I'm relatively new to coding (Java SE Associate level at best!) but would love to get involved with something like this.

Any Schools/ businesses that would like to provide facilites too get in touch.

Cheers.
    L

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 GeekyMonkey

I'm one of the mentors at the Limerick Coder Dojo. There's been talk of splitting it and setting one up in Ennis. Some space has been donated for us. What we need to make it happen is more mentors. Please contact me, and we can work together to make it happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭loctite

Yep I'm definitely interested. How many mentors have you got at the minute?? How many are you looking for?

The number of mentors is going to depend on the number of students who show up. I don't think lack of students is going to be an issue. I think we've had about 8 mentors in Limerick and getting up to 100 students. We're stretched pretty thin at that level (not everyone is there every week).

We could make a start even with 2-4 mentors and 20-40 kids I'd say.

Any potential mentors please send me a personal message with your contact details and your skills.

The topics we'd probably start with are
    * Scratch (simple game programming)
    * Html/Javascript/Css
    * Whatever skills we have that match up with what the kids are interested in

I tried sending you a PM, but boards.ie says newbies here like me aren't allowed that sort of thing.

Please email me by combining these: russ p (at) geeky monkey .com

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭mach1982

I've set up the kildare computer club , and we are hoping to incorporate a Coder Dojo.

• Advertisement

There are details here about setting one up

http://coderdojo.com/help-us/i-want-to-start-a-coderdojo-right-now/

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭jreanor

Hi there,

I am a Computer Science student from Ennis. I would be interested in helping out with this if the time suits me.

James

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 edelmee

Count me in to help set up and run a Dojo in Ennis.

OK, so here's the deal. Coder Dojo Ennis will be starting on 24 March 2012 at Flannans College from 12:00 to 15:00.

The organizers will be having a meeting on Friday 23 March at 20:00 at Flannans to make our final arrangements. Anyone who wants to get involved, either show up on the 23rd, or if you can't make it then, just show up on the 24th, and observe the sessions, then we can have a chat afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 edelmee

Great. See ye there :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement