Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Meeting a principal tomorrow; should I bring anything?

• 23-02-2012 5:57pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Got a phone call this afternoon, asking if I minded going in tomorrow morning to have a chat with the principal. Nothing formal or anything by the sounds of it. Presume it's just to see if I'm up for sub-work or something.

But should I bring anything with me? Like my CV or certs of qualifications or anything like that? It's the first time a CV to a school has resulted in anything like this, so any advice would be nice. :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

No harm. It'll look professional to have spare copies in a folder should he require them . Include vetting and t. council registration too. Best of luck. :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Sooo....apparently it was a job interview. That was unexpected :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭doc_17

so how did it go for you?

I felt it went ok, all things considered. I won't say too much, given there could be people on here who might be involved or whatever (public forum) and all though. I will say I got the feeling from one or two things said that it was a formality and there was someone already lined up, but hopefully its a foot in the door...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭lestat21

Thats happened to me a few times... jst curious bt as you were told it was an informal meeting were you in any way prepared for an interview?? Revised possible question, curricullum and got the suit out??

Its just very unprofessional on this particular school..

• Advertisement

The exact wording from the phone call was "Would you mind coming in for a chat with the principal whenever suits you over the next few days?" I did go in a shirt and trousers, cause I always try and dress professionally even for sub days. I guess, looking back, I should have clarified what exactly the chat would be about....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,812 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I wouldn't worry about it, the Principal isn't enough of a formal person to give you a formal invitation so isn't going to worry about slightly informal dress. I had one of those interviews and got a job out of it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭doc_17

I wouldn't say it was unprofessional from the school in question as if it was a formal interview they might have had to advertise it in the paper forst depending on what conditions/rules the BOM have in place.

Nothing wrong imo with the school doing this as long as neoptism has no part in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭icescreamqueen

I'm in the same situation as yourself ( I think). I got a call from a principal today who has substitute work for the rest of the school year. He wants me to call in for a 'chat' on Monday. Should I be prepared ala interview style or just act like it is a chat about my teaching experience. I'm so rusty, I haven't done an interview in 5 years eek.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Mwalimu

I'd say take it seriously, but don't be too serious when you go in. Check up on the latest information about your subject(s). Even if it's an informal chat, do your homework on the school. How did they get your contact details? If you left in a CV, be sure to go back over it yourself, especially if it's been a while since you sent it or left it in.
    If you didn't give them a CV, it might be that they got your name and details from another school or substitute panel.
    Either way, they are probably looking for someone with your subject(s). If one of your subjefcts is stronger, be sure to brush up on the current syllabus for the weaker one as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭icescreamqueen

Thank you very much for the reply. Starting to feel a bit nervy about it now.
    I applied for a temporary post in the school but it was filled by a teacher within the school, that's how the principal has my details. I just hope it's not a formal interview and more of a chat. Going to start brushing up now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,596 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

A chat is always to be treated as an interview to be honest. Its informal because there is no onus on the principal to give you any job if you turn up and give a bad vipe however the hours will be yours if you present yourself correctly. It is probably a suitability chat/interview.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

Meeting a principal tomorrow; should I bring anything?

Given that you'll be looking for a job in a place which is supposed to embrace learning, you could perhaps leave behind the irrational, and vociferous, hatred for the Irish language which marks far too many of your posts on this website.

You could also improve your own knowledge of written English because, while trying to look down on Irish speakers, your English is consistently awful for a so-called teacher of English - e.g. argument, not arguement.

Otherwise, I heard England is looking for teachers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Rebelheart infracted. Your post is against the charter and regardless of that is completely out of line. Do not reply to this post on-thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Cailin87

I hope you don't mind me adding on to this post but I would really appreciate some advice from anyone who may have been in a similar position or even anyone who is involved in teaching/management in a school.

I had an interview last week in Dublin. I am from the North and I found out last week, 2 days after my interview, that the school I interviewed in, had sought a reference from my previous school in the North.

I believe that the start date would be relatively soon but I have not received any word from the school at all. I've even emailed the principal to request feedback and haven't received a reply either.

If anyone could advise me of what you think is going on, I'd really appreciate it! I'm temporarily teaching in the North and would like to be able to give my current employer as much notice as possible!

Again, thanks, in advance...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

If it's primary, there'll have to be a meeting of the BOM before a job can be offered. The fact they rang your school is positive.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Likewise for a VEC, they may be waiting on the committee meeting.

While the topic is bumped up, I should say the interview paid off; got me a pretty decent job till the summer now :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

congrats!!

Advertisement