Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's out there.

• 23-02-2012 5:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,538 ✭✭✭✭

I happen to live very close to the coast and 200m above sea level. One of the first things I do each fine morning is scan the horizon for signs of activity. Not a day goes by without seeing some form of craft

http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/default.aspx?level0=100

my binoculars help me identify most of what I see. What I can't make out I look up the link above.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭lorcan122

This website, is really quite useful, however can be a bit unreliable some times, and then there's the odd boat does not show up on it for certain reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,905 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Thats because sometimes people turn off the AIS for different reasons.
    ;)

CJhaughey wrote: »
    ;)

Normally not for a great reason, if you get my drift.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭skipz

I'am from the Fishing village of Clogherhead and my bedroom window had a serious view over Dundalk bay.
    When me and the girlfriend moved into the house, the first new toy was a spotting scope and tri pod!
    Like Poor Uncle Tom every morning id spend a while scouting around (was on the dole for a while!) and id always find something worth while.
    Id see the local potting boats doing the rounds and id know who was on them, Sometimes on clear days id get great views of ships entering Carlingford lough like Clipper point and Sea Truck Panorama.

Id say my most memorable sight was seeing seeing a Irish naval vessel come close inshore to patrol and sent a boarding party onto a small potting boat to do checks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭seanmacc

CJhaughey wrote: »
    ;)

Was famously done in 2004 during Irish Ferries officers industrial action. When the company decided to tie up the ships due to the strike action the MV Ulysess which was currently sailing back to Dublin with passengers had the AIS turned off. This led to several bigwigs in Irish Ferries getting their heads in a spin because they didn't know where their ship was and what the officers were going to do with it. As it turned out they just sailed to Dublin, discharged and the ships got tied up for 2 weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

There is a tanker coming up to the SPM in Bantry bay now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

mp22 wrote: »
    There is a tanker coming up to the SPM in Bantry bay now.

Where do they get the tugs from?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭323

lorcan122 wrote: »
    Normally not for a great reason, if you get my drift.

To be honest, can be for innocent enough/practical reasons, in my case, once or twice, to keep shore based management from butting in.

Did not know until last week marinetraffic is also available as a smartphone/android app, very useful.

“Follow the trend lines, not the headlines,”

• Registered Users Posts: 14,905 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

There is a local tug based in CTB.
    And they bring in others as needed.

I think they just belong to the port, or some of them are owned by some companies and you just hire the use of them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Tug Thrax is stationed in bantry bay year round,http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/showallphotos.aspx?imo=9085209
    The castletown bere tug is used as a rope boat to get the tankers mooring lines up to the bouy.

Tug Thrax is stationed in bantry bay year round,http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/showallphotos.aspx?imo=9085209
    The castletown bere tug is used as a rope boat to get the tankers mooring lines up to the bouy.
    Thanks

Is the donemark still going, have lost all track of the old tugs

Thanks

Long gone as far as I know,but I am only a blow in here (20 years only)

Thanks

Long gone as far as I know,but I am only a blow in here (20 years only)

Am gone with 20 plus, coolest thing there was a VLCC coming up the bay

Am gone with 20 plus, coolest thing there was a VLCC coming up the bay

Saw that as well, it was something else.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

the tanker mindahno is coming up to bantry bay now being tugged by thrax and ocean bank

The Mindahno left bantry yesterday.Now at the SPM the Sharpen http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/showallphotos.aspx?imo=9238052

There is a tanker at the SPM at the minute I saw it this morning. She dose not have the auto what's it turned on,you can see there is a ship on the bouy by the position of the tug Thrax in the bay, she is attached to the tanker and is holding just to the south west of her

There is a tanker at the SPM at the minute I saw it this morning. She dose not have the auto what's it turned on,you can see there is a ship on the bouy by the position of the tug Thrax in the bay, she is attached to the tanker and is holding just to the south west of her

Vessel Was the SALAMINA, (tanker Flag Liberia) left Whiddy at 11.00 last night

• Registered Users Posts: 14,538 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Just spotted that the UK's http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/showallphotos.aspx?imo=9319624
    Jura is heading into Cork.

Is this common?

• Advertisement

RE: Hemland i'm thinking this vessel could be in dunmore est harbour might take a spin down later or during the week to have a look

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

Ex infantry man - The guy who had the Helmlands Transponder ( on Marine Traffic), Aka Lila Askholmen (on Marine Traffic), AKA Tankskar (on AIS Liverpool / Ship AIS )is not transmitting in the normal sense - he is only transmitting his pseudo mmsi(s) and ship data online and not via vhf you wont find anything in Dunmore.

See here the guy did not even know about this before http://www.flickr.com/photos/13372578@N00/207968804/

On another note - 3 Supply vessels / Anchor handlers currently heading down the Irish Sea to the GSF Artic 3 / Cork

Siem Opal , Olympic Hera and Havila Neptune.

Jambo wrote: »
    Ex infantry man - The guy who had the Helmlands Transponder ( on Marine Traffic), Aka Lila Askholmen (on Marine Traffic), AKA Tankskar (on AIS Liverpool / Ship AIS )is not transmitting in the normal sense - he is only transmitting his pseudo mmsi(s) and ship data online and not via vhf you wont find anything in Dunmore.

See here the guy did not even know about this before http://www.flickr.com/photos/13372578@N00/207968804/

On another note - 3 Supply vessels / Anchor handlers currently heading down the Irish Sea to the GSF Artic 3 / Cork

jaysus thats mad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭long range shooter

Jambo wrote: »

most be poor rates on the spotmarket to get this trio together to move the Gsf Artic.Been a while since i moved it.Then it was in the North sea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭323

most be poor rates on the spotmarket to get this trio together to move the Gsf Artic.Been a while since i moved it.Then it was in the North sea.

True, is it not just about 100m at that side? seems like an awful lot of muscle for there.
    Thought rates were pretty good these days.

Found this browsing, your probably aware of it, Present spotrates UK & Norway
    http://www.westshore.no/

“Follow the trend lines, not the headlines,”

The Atlantic Companion is sailing off the coast of Wexford now, but when I look at the route it took, when it was steaming off the Cork coast it did a nice jig for a bit before resuming it's course, why would this be?

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

The Atlantic Companion is sailing off the coast of Wexford now, but when I look at the route it took, when it was steaming off the Cork coast it did a nice jig for a bit before resuming it's course, why would this be?

Very strange all right - she done another sharp and strange turn off Angelsea this morning to , I see the turn off at Cork was undertaken below 2.0 knots !

Could it have been a drill ? and she slowed down to launch / recover the FRC ? hence the repeat this morning with the opposite crew ?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

That's something you'd do in port, not out at sea no matter how calm it looks.

It might have been 'bring your kid to work' day!

Look maw I'm driving......:D

• Advertisement

i remember when was out on L.E. eithne for the first time, the XO at the time was actually nuts very funny man but he was on the bridge one day while we were steaming and as he was close to retirement he defo should'nt have been left alone to give orders but he gave an order 30 degrees starboard then when the ship came around he gave a 30 degrees port doin a full figure of 8, at this stage the captain arrived on to the bridge asking what the **** and the XO had disappeared twas funny i must say ya had to be there to fully understand lol

Advertisement