Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What's out there.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/shipdetails.aspx?mmsi=249228000&header=true

In bantry inner harbour this morning,I must potter down a have a look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

mp22 wrote: »
    http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/shipdetails.aspx?mmsi=249228000&header=true

In bantry inner harbour this morning,I must potter down a have a look.

Did you get any pictures seems she is on her way out , pretty busy in the bay today

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Did you get any pictures seems she is on her way out , pretty busy in the bay today
    No missed her (chainsaw had a appointment with a couple of trees at the mothers did not get down in time)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

What are we talking do you reckon, 10m, 20m?

Current market prices would secure a bulker for far less. About 10%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 372 ✭✭jamesdiver

Lauren L is on anchor off Galway. Looks like a private yacht, but could be mistaken for a small cruise ship either.

jamesdiver wrote: »

Russians.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭youknowwho

Russians.

It was moored in Dublin for a week - an expensive stay.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 276 ✭✭Rocky Bay

Earlier today I noticed 3 tankers sitting outside Cork harbour, one has sinced sailed for Whiddy, anyone know why ? From what I could see Whitegate did not have berthed at the jetty.

Strangely enough anchored in bantry bay this morning http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/shipdetails.aspx?mmsi=235091659&header=true

Usually means a dramatic change in the price of fuel has happened, or is about to happen.

Usually means a dramatic change in the price of fuel has happened, or is about to happen.
    ...they wait for the increase in the price per liter to be posted and then the tankers unload!

I was talking to a friend who works on Whiddy,the last few tankers were delivering crude to the island.

Well they'll either be delivering it, or collecting it. I don't think whiddy can accept refined product.

• Advertisement

Well they'll either be delivering it, or collecting it. I don't think whiddy can accept refined product.
    It sure can,at the minute there is home heating oil and jet fuel out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

Be a warm Summer and a short flight if those two get mixed up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Be a warm Summer and a short flight if those two get mixed up.

Not really in the absence of oxygen one would float over the other

Jet fuel! Who are they holding that for, Cork Airport?

Rocky Bay wrote: »
    Jet fuel! Who are they holding that for, Cork Airport?
    Probably holding on to it till the price goes up.A tank holds 65,000 tons.

• Advertisement

Out of curiosity, does anybody know how the airport gets its fuel? I would think by pipeline but I don't recall seeing any pipeline signs about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭seanmacc

Out of curiosity, does anybody know how the airport gets its fuel? I would think by pipeline but I don't recall seeing any pipeline signs about.

I believe there is a pipeline that runs along the outside of the port tunnel. It regularly goes out of action and the stuff has to be brought by road

seanmacc wrote: »
    I believe there is a pipeline that runs along the outside of the port tunnel. It regularly goes out of action and the stuff has to be brought by road
    Port Tunnel is in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 clobanna

As far as i am aware the fuel for Cork Airport comes by road tanker from Foynes in Co Limerick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

Not really in the absence of oxygen one would float over the other

That went over your head ;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,751 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/shipdetails.aspx?mmsi=235007859&header=true

Deep Diver One currently working outside Arklow?

Just an update for those interested in Whiddy they have crude,jet fuel and petrol at the minute.Tank 402 in next in line for a new floor and roof.

Just an update for those interested in Whiddy they have crude,jet fuel and petrol at the minute.Tank 402 in next in line for a new floor and roof.
    Love to know how they put in a new floor, must be complicated I would think.

Love to know how they put in a new floor, must be complicated I would think.
    Cut a large door in side of tank,cut up old floor drag out with skid steer,drag in new floor (sheets 8*20 feet)tack then weld up.Oh Yea the roof is landed and sitting on 200 plus legs new floor needs to go under them, then new pads on top of the floor.weld up door in side of tank.Main tanks run 1 and 1/8 acre floor space.Roof's float on contents of the tank.

• Advertisement

Cut a large door in side of tank,cut up old floor drag out with skid steer,drag in new floor (sheets 8*20 feet)tack then weld up.

Why would the floor not just be lifted in through the (removed) roof rather than cutting open the tank?

Why would the floor not just be lifted in through the (removed) roof rather than cutting open the tank?
    Tanks are aprox 60 feet high the crane could only land the sheets in one spot,the they have to be dragged into place.Generally removing the roof will be done the same way ie hole in tank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,134 ✭✭✭✭dvcireland

The Alfa Germania is back in the neighborhood, at anchor outside Cork harbour as I type. Some of you may remember the picture of her and the Orpheas taken in Bantry Bay last June. (There was actually a third tanker headed inbound at that time but did not make it into the picture.) According to the Port of Cork website, the Alfa Germania does make another move until the 4th of July. Almost two weeks sitting around and not making any money......

The Alfa Germania is back in the neighborhood, at anchor outside Cork harbour as I type. Some of you may remember the picture of her and the Orpheas taken in Bantry Bay last June. (There was actually a third tanker headed inbound at that time but did not make it into the picture.) According to the Port of Cork website, the Alfa Germania does make another move until the 4th of July. Almost two weeks sitting around and not making any money......

The ship may not be, but its cargo might.

The ship may not be, but its cargo might.
    Never thought of that! Could that be another case of..."wait till the price is increased at the petrol stations and then we will unload" ?

Oil cargoes change owners hundreds of times between ports.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Loaded or not, a ship doesn't have to be underway to be making money. Assuming its chartered, and the notice of readiness has been tendered, sitting at anchor can be worth big money

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,751 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Empire State, US training ship currently entering Dublin Port

http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/shipdetails.aspx?mmsi=366897000&header=true

• Advertisement

LiamoSail wrote: »
    Loaded or not, a ship doesn't have to be underway to be making money. Assuming its chartered, and the notice of readiness has been tendered, sitting at anchor can be worth big money
    Suppose the Alfa is out there empty, does that still apply? What is the "notice of readiness" ?

3 french naval ships due into Galway Friday (28th) morning 0800h

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭vulcan57

jamesdiver wrote: »
    3 french naval ships due into Galway Friday (28th) morning 0800h

Schoolship Lynx (A751) and two Navigational training ships Glycine (A770) and Eglantine (A771)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭vulcan57

The World, the largest residential liner in the world will be in Galway Bay on Monday afternoon and leave again Tuesday night. She is in Belfast at the moment and is also set to visit Derry before heading down the west coast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Cannot understand the economics of that concept. About $20k p.a in service fees, plus an inital outlay of a million + to buy in, a ship promoted as spending more time in port than at sea and all in the company of people who have an average age of 90? Even if I were 90 I would not want that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,134 ✭✭✭✭dvcireland

• Advertisement

Cannot understand the economics of that concept. About $20k p.a in service fees, plus an inital outlay of a million + to buy in, a ship promoted as spending more time in port than at sea and all in the company of people who have an average age of 90? Even if I were 90 I would not want that!

20k a month according to wikipedia!!! but only 600k to buy

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭DownBeaten

Isn't the idea to remain non-resident anywhere to avoid paying any income tax?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

Economics doesn’t really enter in to it for folks like this. It is about exclusivity and keeping the great unwashed away. Luxury costs. If I won that 97 million last week I would entertain the idea maybe.

Heard a wonderful description of the average cruise liner clientele recently..

Newly wed, over fed or nearly dead!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Daibheid

This is a great thread! Hopefully someone can help identify a very large vessel I saw last Sunday. I was just off Mizzen abiout 15.00 and what must have been a cruise ship passed by on the horizon on a Northerly course. I tried to get on marinetraffic with my little smartphone but no surprise no data signal there or even back on land hours later.

I could see enough to tell it had a continuos high superstructure wasn't a tanker or bulk carrier and it seemed to have two aft funnels and one forward. It might also have been a car carrier like that big Grimaldi.
    Maybe someone could identify it or was tracking marine traffic Sunday and noticed somethig big running up the West Coast?

http://www.connachttribune.ie/galway-news/item/817-world-s-most-luxurious-cruise-ship-for-galway-visit
    http://galwayindependent.com/20130703/news/the-world-comes-to-galway-S20701.html

• Advertisement
Advertisement