Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What's the best thing your parents made for you when you were a kid?

• 23-02-2012 6:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭

This was inspired by Japanese woman who built her 4 year old son a replica F1 car from cardboard,looks pretty cool too.

http://l.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/LeCf7XxACv3Finoc3fRX1A--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7cT04NTt3PTYxMA--/http://media.zenfs.com/en/blogs/motoramic/rb8minicardboard.jpg
    It's only mid-February, and already the world's best parent contest for 2012 appears all sewn up by a Japanese woman who spent a month building her 4-year-old son the ultimate video game station -- a cardboard replica of the 2012 Red Bull Formula 1 race car, accurate from the tail wings to the logos on the step nose.

As she describes in her blog, the woman -- a dedicated fan of Red Bull and F1 champ Sebastian Vettel -- says the project may still require tweaking, and she's not particularly happy with how the new nose came out. Working from a frame built before the RB8 was revealed, she finished the car based on photos and videos from the car's official introduction earlier this month. In addition to its detailed graphics and faithful reproduction of the aerodynamic bits, the car can fold up into thirds when not being used to speed Yoshi around on the Wii or as a desk for drawing and reading

http://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoramic/mom-builds-4-old-spot-replica-red-bull-175055702.html

My father built me a go-kart when I was young,those were the days when parents built stuff rather than forking out hundreds for it,plus it could be modified any way we wanted.Amazing what could be done with some pram wheels,pieces of wood & rope.

Did anyone else's parents build them stuff,be it a go-kart or a tree house?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

My dad made a treehouse for me and as he was a baker he built me a cake or two

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 969 ✭✭✭some random drunk

My mam knitted a couple of Postman Pat jumpers for me when I was a young lad. Actually, now that I think about it, almost all my jumpers were knitted for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Peetrik

Veggie garden. It soaked up weeks of our time and thinking back he was probably just learning as he went but it was great. Hard work, rewarding and a great learning experience. Can't wait to do the same for my kids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Peetrik wrote: »
    Veggie garden. It soaked up weeks of our time and thinking back he was probably just learning as he went but it was great. Hard work, rewarding and a great learning experience. Can't wait to do the same for my kids.

We had a veggie garden,problem was that it was huge.It was more like punishment than pleasure,was delighted when it gradually shrank and the lawn became larger.Still,being older & wiser now I'd love my own.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

They made another kid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

My dad built me a 'playhouse'. It was like a wooden cabin and had windows with lil curtains on 'em and all. Inside I had a Fisher Price kitchen. Spent the majority of my childhood in there. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭Jess16

Dinner -I love my Mammy's dinners! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

I found out 2 weeks ago my mum has been saving for the last 7 or 8 years to send me and some of my friends to Las Vegas as I was big into poker/blackjack/gambling in general when I was 12/13.

In that sense she made my 12 year old self's dream come true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

A will.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Ms. Captain M

A bosco box

• Advertisement

My dad made a treehouse for us when we were about 7. It was made out of old pallets and huge plastic sheets, it was nothing amazing and it was a serious tetanus trap, but the craic we had in it!!

One night my uncle got locked and decided to climb up into it but it disintegrated with him in it so he fell and badly broke his arm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

My dad made me a swimming pool. Well, it was a 3 1/2 tonne dumper that he filled with water but was great!

My mum made a really big sheet made out of smaller sheets. I used to take over the living room, throw the sheet over the furniture and live in there for the evening with my dollies.

Good times :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭ihsb

My Mam got a second hand bike for me... sprayed it bright red and stuck my fav stickers on it for me... the best bike EVER!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Wetai

Mam made me a Thomas the Tank Engine cake for my 4th/5th (around that age) birthday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Me Da made me a stainless steel sword.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Me Da made me a goal out the back, I loved that :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

My Dad dedicated an album to me! If that counts.

He used to paint me really cool birthday cards. He's not really good with the aul "manly" stuff, so never got a treehouse or anything like that :/

My Mother made lots of cakes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

My dad built god knows how many rabbit hutches, dog houses etc. he was big into the rabbits and was constantly upgrading the hutches. In the end we had a huge one which had wheels so you could pick it up and move it around the grass for fresh grazing.

Come to think of it my dad was like mcgyver, we didn't have much money so he would fashion the most amazing things out of anything. When I was very small he made a air compressor out of an old gas tank and a fridge motor, it had a gauge and everything and still works to this day. This is a man who had little to no formal schooling, he should have been a engineer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

zerks wrote: »
    All joking aside, they helped make me the person I am.
    (I will be eternally grateful to my parents for that.)
    Everything else after that which they made for me, was icing on the cake.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Dad made me a wooden sword and mum made dinner every day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭danslevent

Nothing :( I'm jealous of all your creative parents!

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭merengueca

Dad is the sort who will disappear into his shed and come out a few hours later with any manner of useful stuff you didn't know you need....

Best ever was the water park in the garden..... 20' of plastic sheet and a hose. Hours of fun sliding across the lawn!

Mum made dinner every night, but the one we all remember is the ONE time Dad was left in charge... a 'castle' of mashed spuds, invading army of beans and sausage cannons!:rolleyes::D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I remember in primary school everyone in our class had to make a nativity crib for an Xmas competition. I wouldn't do it so my Mum just made it for me. Needless to say I won the competition and received a 25 pound shopping voucher and the admiration of my peers.

The dam fools never discovered the truth, Muhhh Haw Haw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

My parents didn't really make stuff, they arent that handy.

My mam bakes amazing apple tarts though, and always makes me French toast when I'm sad. My Dad chased down Boyzone to get me their autographs a few years ago :D

Oh just remembered another one, when I was forced to knit in school my Mam knitted thenwhole feckin cushion for me, and if you knew how much she hates knitting you'd know how big of a gesture that was!

• Registered Users Posts: 42 bergheim

My mum: waffle cakes. My dad: bow and arrow

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭joe stodge

a go cart out of a shopping trolly. it was cut up with a grinder and welded back together, it had 3 wheels and all the stability of a reliant robin.

IT WAS FCUKING EPIC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

My Dad made me a 'tree house', only it wasn't up a tree. It was in the ditch. It was basically a 3 sided lean-to up against a wall, but it had shutters and a working door and everything. I loved it, and spent hours in there. In the dark, with the spiders, and the really low ceiling (I couldn't stand in it by the time I was about 10).

Looking back this explains a lot about me.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭jackie1974

When sister sledge had frankie in the charts my dad made me a nuns habit and put a sledge hammer on my shoulder to go in a fancy dress as sister sledge hammer, I thought it was a ridiculous idea but I came first and won a fiver.

My mam knitted me a wham jumper.

When I was around ten I got a new jumpsuit and first time I wore it fell and ripped the knee out of it, I was bawling thinking my mam would murder me when she got home and seen the state of it. My dad came in and asked what was up so I showed him, off he went out to the shed and got scissors and glue, cut a piece of the material from the inside of the pocket and patched up the knee. Now he said mammy wont notice you cant even see the tear and when mam got home she didnt mention it Oh the blessed relief haha I really believed hed done such a great job that mam couldnt see the big glued on patch on my knee.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

A climbing frame (well he got the maintenance guys at the factory to make it, to keep them busy during a quiet spell). With the addition of a few planks and a tarpaulin it transmogrified into a house, train engine, ship, spaceship, castle, can't remember all the things it could do:D

He also made a roundabout out of a cable drum, but it was nearly 4 ft high, taller than any of us, so we couldn't get up on it, but if you did get up, and if it went too fast you fell off:(
    It had splinters too:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭BlueSmoker

Lia_lia wrote: »
    My Dad dedicated an album to me! If that counts.

He used to paint me really cool birthday cards. He's not really good with the aul "manly" stuff, so never got a treehouse or anything like that :/

My Mother made lots of cakes.

Yep my Dad was like that :), he made me aware of all those DIY jobs that would kill me, (Still I ask my sister how to do them:)

He also looked over my CV, and never lied was home about what I had done, but managed to sell me for an interview for said company. He was brilliant at it and he never lied or told fibs either, he was amazing at selling people as themselves

He also wrote a letter to me, when I had moved to the UK after my leaving cert, which actually made me come home and sleep under the Kitchen table, I
    was home

I really miss him after nearly 15 years without him, I still find myself quoting him, my Dad was a extremely sound person. :)

As for my Mom she is teaching me every day :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

I had a model train track as a kid, so when i was in hospital my dad mounted it onto a huge board, about 4ft by 6ft, with all the tracks, house, trees and bridges laid out. Its still in my home place and to a 10 year old kid, one of the coolest things ever.
    I hope to take it down and assemble it in my own house some day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭skirtgirl

My mam used make tayto men out of the crisp packs. She also used to make cups out of silver packaging from ciggie boxes. I thought she was brill!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Cedrus wrote: »
    A climbing frame (well he got the maintenance guys at the factory to make it, to keep them busy during a quiet spell). With the addition of a few planks and a tarpaulin it transmogrified into a house, train engine, ship, spaceship, castle, can't remember all the things it could do:D

He also made a roundabout out of a cable drum, but it was nearly 4 ft high, taller than any of us, so we couldn't get up on it, but if you did get up, and if it went too fast you fell off:(
    It had splinters too:(

Excellent word.My Dad showed me how to build a crystal radio.I brought it into school and the prick of a science teacher ,not only never heard or understood how they worked.I can still remember the look of amazement on the bastards face when he heard it working.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Zen65

zerks wrote: »

Hmm, my father never made me anything though he made a few wardrobes & shelves about the house. In fairness the poor man died before I reached my teens so I guess I didn't know him long enough to know what he might have been capable of making.

My mother was handy at baking tarts & scones, and she cooked for her family most days of the week while we lived at home. Some of my memories of her are a bit difficult but bless her she was handy in the kitchen.

This thread makes me worry that my own children might not have the greatest of memories of me when my time comes to shuffle off this mortal coil, but I do hope they'll remember how much I've made them laugh over the years, and how fortunate we have been to live a life untroubled (much) by debt or other worries. Perhaps some of my words of wisdom* will stay with them in the years ahead.

Z

* They don't find much wisdom in those words most of the time, if truth be told. Teenagers are fierce critics!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

My wee brother. (cheese alert)
    At the time I was devastated, but now it's fantastic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭Missmiddleton

my mam made a canopy for my bed when i was in third class in more or less the same style as this one, except in purple
    http://p.lefux.com/61/20110420/A2616000BW/InsetImage/Girls-Round-Ruffle-Hanging-Bed-Canopy_3.jpg

She also made me a spanish dancer dress for my 7th birthday party

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

A home

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭alandublin33

my da made me n my brother a go cart , there were a few kids on the road that had them made with shopping trolley wheels (not the metal swivel ones) but my da made one with pram wheels it was a rocket... it got wrecked after some fat scumbag mess sat on it and broke :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Lovely dinners, a home, a beautiful life...

These are all the answers of people who had lame-ass, boring, uncreative and unimaginative parents.

My parents made me understand what the important things are in life.
    Yeah, they suck too.

Imma gonna be the coolest parent ever, making forts and treehouses all over the gaf. Kids can feck off and make their own though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Babybuff

my dad helped me make a viking longboat for a school history project, he had a lathe and all the tools and was talented wood carver so we bored out a block of wood and carved it into a viking longboat, complete with finials and dragon heads. History teacher wa blown away. Got an A :)

made loads of things with him, loved my da.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭Foghladh

The one year we got a decent bit of snow my dad made a sled for us. Being a shuttering carpenter it was designed more for stability than speed. In fact it was made out of 6x3 timbers and weighed more than the car. I still remember him dragging it to the top of the hill in the field and me and my sister jumping on it. I don't recall that it moved at all and I think we eventually abandoned it still at the top. It ws the thought that counted I suppose but man that sled was poorly designed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

WindSock wrote: »

These are all the answers of people who had lame-ass, boring, uncreative and unimaginative parents.

Rubbish. Have a look around today at all those who wanted kids but didn't want to raise them or teach them right from wrong and then get back to us re what's important.

My parents gave me far more than any expensive gift or one-off "thing" ever would have been, and I'm forever in their debt for raising me and hope I've done them proud by reaching my potential.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

MY father was a carpenter when i was really young and he made me a replica 4 foot concorde aircraft with landing gear as well lol looking back it was damn good. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭Foghladh

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Rubbish. Have a look around today at all those who wanted kids but didn't want to raise them or teach them right from wrong and then get back to us re what's important.

My parents gave me far more than any expensive gift or one-off "thing" ever would have been, and I'm forever in their debt for raising me and hope I've done them proud by reaching my potential.

Good for you. I try not to mention the word potential to my parents these days. I'm in my late 30's and it depresses them too much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

My parents never made me anything, they just vaguely told me how to make things for myself! Far more fun actually, but a bit of help lugging around pallets for tree houses/rafts/any number of random projects would have been greatly appreciated!
    God... the things you can do with pallets...

One thing my dad used to do for me was set up science projects in the kitchen for me to mess with, it's insane how much fun you can have with cabbage water.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

WindSock wrote: »

My parents made me understand what the important things are in life.
    Yeah, they suck too.

Imma gonna be the coolest parent ever, making forts and treehouses all over the gaf. Kids can feck off and make their own though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭kano476

The father made me a miniature fort when I was a kid for my birthday, the rest of the family helped paint it. Best present I ever got - still have it and it's in great condition hope to pass it on if I ever have kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Raditub

I will have to say a tree house..the classic! But thats where me and my sisters had most fun and also broke most of our bones hahaha!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

jackie1974 wrote: »
    My mam knitted me a wham jumper.

:eek::D
    One thing my dad used to do for me was set up science projects in the kitchen for me to mess with, it's insane how much fun you can have with cabbage water.

Cabbage water?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

My dad made arse wipes out of newspaper to hang on a nail in the outside bog, before we got all posh and were able to afford proper bog roll.
    When we hit the big time we got a toilet seat.

• Advertisement
Advertisement