Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Holdem Software

• 23-02-2012 6:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 156 ✭✭

Hi I havent used any software for poker before but am trying to get more serious about it, didnt realise how much I was missing out. Just wondering could someone give me a hand and summarize the general categories of tools available, popular examples of each and recommend some to me. I have just started all this and don't know which ones are a waste of time. Sorry if this type of thread is done too much but I did check some past threads.

I have just tried the Holdem Manager trial but for some reason it doesn't work well. The HUD goes wonky after a while. It records around 3 hands then stops, and doesnt update and even if the tables switch around nothing changes, the old player names are still there. I'm hoping I just configured it wrongly but I dunno if its easily fixable. Googling the problem shows a few people with same unresolved problem. Has this happened anyone before? It looks incredibly useful so would love to get it working. Any alternative HUD available for free hopefully as I wouldnt like to fork out for something that doesn't seem to work so well?

Also whats available for basic odds and working things out, I only know basic odds and tbh I'm normally just estimating so I'm bound to be playing a lot of hands badly. I would like something thats fairly straight to the point and not rediculously slow. I have seen some ones that you manually type in each card and seems kind of a waste of time. Would like something that can generate random hands and show a list of odds versus a load of random hands and create tables and things.

Finally I have started SNGWizard which seems to just be for reviewing tournaments to see if I'm making any mistakes. Havent used it too much yet. Looks good...

Is there any other software I should be aware of apart from HUD/Stats/review type software? Would also be interested in alternatives to the 2 I mentioned or some links to some simple tutorials or manuals as I'm hopelessly lost. Thanks for help :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭AngryBollix

Poker Tracker is useful enough. I wouldnt be a pro by any means but it will tell you all you want to know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

I too have been meaning to try out some software, any edge you can get. I'm going to try the Holdem manager 30 day trail. Hopefully I won't have the problems you had OP.
    Good thread I was just about to start one on similar lines

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

You playing on pokerstars? I had a similar problem and as I recall you need to set up the pokerstars client to save hand histories (it is turned off by default unlike Ipoker) and point HM at the correct folder for importing the data.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 156 ✭✭MoogPoo

yeah got it going now its great. it was the hand histories thing, they were being saved but the table finder didnt automatically find them. Its pretty handy for some things, I only really use it to see how many times people fold to flop bet. what stats do you all look for, do you just use the default hud? Doesnt seem that useful for tourneys as the number of hands is always pretty low.

Also Im looking for some stats software. Im using pokerstove atm and its fine but wondering if there are any better ones.

I think holdem manager is sensational. Its obviously a very advanced piece of software. I'm not really a fan of having the HUD on while I'm playing at a table as its very large and its hard to see what is going on (pot size, opps hands etc.)
    I'll def be buying it. I have been looking through hand histories and finding out loads of interesting things.
    Fav stats are fold to cbet % fold to 3bet %. Very useful

• Advertisement

yeah i thought the hud was annoying you can right click and drag things around though. The hand thing is interesting alright but you have to be careful with the analysis for tounaments. The stacks get so big at the end that they warp the data. I lost with aces at final table and for ages it was saying that aces had an overall loss. Not quite sure how to interpret things as being mistakes or variance. Would be great for analysing cash games though. i spose the filters make it good though. Also noticed i played way too many hands on bb, lost a bomb on it but not sure if that loss includes the blind itself. How exactly do you do hand analysis? I kind of just flick through it and see something weird going on, not sure how to find what im doing wrong.

Here is a list of videos. If you click on them they are automatically downloaded. Its well worth your time downloading and looking at them esp the HUD options videos.
    here is the link
    http://hm2faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/1631/Holdem+Manager+2+TV

great nice one!! only found 1 on youtube but it was a part two and there was no part 1. couldnt even find a bleddy manual.

No worries mate ther is lots of great stuff on that site. Can see it being a month or two b4 I comp understand everything but I think its a great piece of software

Iv a quick question. See the image I have uploaded for instance...
    See the VPIP. Total. It has 20(40)
    Does that mean 20/40 hands VPIP
    Or is it 20% of 40hands. Just confused by that
    Cheers

Snapshot_2.png

• Advertisement

dunno i always use the vpp in the hud. I dont think its 20 out of 40 though cause vpp is given in percent anyway. Id say check what it says when a new play comes in after his first hand or something.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

MoogPoo wrote: »
    yeah got it going now its great. it was the hand histories thing, they were being saved but the table finder didnt automatically find them. Its pretty handy for some things, I only really use it to see how many times people fold to flop bet. what stats do you all look for, do you just use the default hud? Doesnt seem that useful for tourneys as the number of hands is always pretty low.

Also Im looking for some stats software. Im using pokerstove atm and its fine but wondering if there are any better ones.

Still haven't worked it out properly, play mostly low stakes cash PLO myself so it is pretty good from that point of view. It can show different stats street by street on pokerstars etc so that is pretty handy for stuff like cbetting frequecy, fold to three bet, fold to cbet etc. Not great in a tournament alright due to sample size, success in tourney will still be mostly down to your own is down to your own skills like hand reading etc.

Despite not having explored its features too much it has definately already payed for itself already in the space of two months playing just 0.02/0.05 PLO (I just bought the low limit omaha license)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭h2005

Shane St. wrote: »
    Iv a quick question. See the image I have uploaded for instance...
    See the VPIP. Total. It has 20(40)
    Does that mean 20/40 hands VPIP
    Or is it 20% of 40hands. Just confused by that
    Cheers

Snapshot_2.png

vpip is 20% over forty hands i.e 8 hands out of 40

yeah its very good alright. didnt realise how bad i was though! im losing a bomb with some hands. I played **** when I first got it though cause it kept saying I was in bottom one percent just cause I was playing super tight at the start of sitngos so I started playing more hands than I needed to.

I really love the opponent player analysis. Have u tried that Moog? It's superb. you obv need to run up a decent amount of hands with an opponent for the data to be useful.

didnt really try opponent analysis too much as im only play tourneys atm. I looked it up though to get an idea of an average player. Might have to start playing cash games though, id say it would give you an unbelievable advantage.

Advertisement