Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Temp ban on general traffic threads

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

If you ban the discussion of certain topics surely you open a can of worms & open yourself up to accusations of bias. It isn't about what topic people discuss but they way that they conduct themselves. Anyone who cannot manage basic politeness shouldn't be here. I appreciate that it can mean extra work but only in the short term as it's easy to ban the offenders.

Is there not a risk that people could deliberately disrupt threads to ensure that those topics are no longer discussed ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Nok1a

hondasam wrote: »
    This was your reply to me a few day ago, not very nice really and definitely not friendly.

In a week which saw some of the worst traffic in Galway you made a flipant post that traffic in galway was just like other cities, what reply did you expect?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

Discodog wrote: »
    Is there not a risk that people could deliberately disrupt threads to ensure that those topics are no longer discussed ?

In my view that is what is already going on. What we need to do is to find a means of getting around the behaviour of those involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Nok1a wrote: »
    In a week which saw some of the worst traffic in Galway you made a flipant post that traffic in galway was just like other cities, what reply did you expect?

Attack the post not the poster rule.

I do not have to say where I'm from, my post count is irrelevant and accusing me of spamming, talking rubbish about something I know little about, all this considering you don't know the first thing about me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Traffiic is the most talked about issue around town.
    The topic should'nt be muzzled nor moved to another forum. I learn a bit from the traffic-related threads on here, different viewpoints from a local perspective that I may not normally hear.
    We just need a group hug :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,266 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

I agree.This is totally unfair. Some of us ''commuters'' rely on the info here for journey purposes.

I do not have to say where I'm from, my post count is irrelevant and accusing me of spamming, talking rubbish about something I know little about, all this considering you don't know the first thing about me.

I agree however this style of argument - false allegations, ad hominem attacks, straw man arguments appears to be an established part of the culture of this forum under the current moderators. Furthermore it is such a consistent pattern that it is hard to shake the conclusion that those involved understand themselves to have the active protection of the moderators.

I am one of the people who tries to avoid the Galway city forum because of this. But I live in this city why I should I have to?

And no you should not have to say where you are from. However with regret based on albeit limited experience the behaviour in this forum does appear to have a geographical basis. It appears that people from the county feel entitled to come in here and attack people who live in the city for wanting, or even just engaging in, normal European city things - the ability to walk to school, cycle to work, get the bus to the shops, to not have rat running cars come past their houses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Nok1a

The last point is kind of ironic, 23k posts and you thing people can't form an opinion of you? I saw your post(orshould i say 50) in after hours about the guy who defended himself, you came across as a complete and utter troll then in the galway traffic thread your post indicated that you weere just posting for the sake of it, just to build up your post count saying that traffic was no different to any other city. Try sitting in traffic for 2 hrs to get 3 miles and seeing your rubbish post:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭emptybladder

Yet another reason we should be allowed discuss traffic here:

http://www.galwaynews.ie/24468-expo-organiser-voices-concern-over-galway-traffic

JustMary wrote: »
    I totally DISagree with the suggestion that the forum should be for city-dwellers only. [sorry, in a blonde moment, I left the dis out of my original post :-( ]

Nobody has suggested that the forum should be for the city dwellers only. However it has appears to have become a place where certain county dwellers are allowed to dictate what we can or cannot discuss. To my mind this is wholly perverse and requires a solution. We have a situation here where we are being demonstrably and repeatedly blocked from discussing our city.

This is not just a boards issue but goes to the heart of why we are now in this mess. For the last 15 years this city has been administered by senior officials who, for the most part, do not live in the city. In my view these officials have acted as if they had no personal stake in the well being of our city or its inhabitants. Instead they have acted as if the city is to be managed for the primary purpose of facilitating car based commuters like themselves, who just work here.

This city is in arguably in such a mess because it has been managed by people who live in the county for the percieved benefit of people who just see it primarily as a place to drive through.

When is it going to stop? How is it ever going to stop if we allow people with the same agenda to dictate the content of all traffic discussions on this forum?

• Advertisement

We have a situation here where we are being demonstrably and repeatedly blocked from discussing our city.

When is it going to stop? How is it ever going to stop if we allow people with the same agenda to dictate the content of all traffic discussions on this forum?

With respect your posts are fuelling any call by the Moderators for a ban. The thread is about the whether these issues can be discussed here whereas you seem to be using it as yet another traffic thread.

The content of this & most other forums is dictated by the contributors & everyone has a right to post.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭desaparecidos

Hilariously stupid idea Biko.

Hilariously stupid idea Biko.

Or another hilariously stupid post that just makes topic bans more likely :rolleyes:

To his credit Biko has left this thread open to invite constructive comment & discussion. Some Mods would of made the decision & locked the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Instead they have acted as if the city is to be managed for the primary purpose of facilitating car based commuters like themselves, who just work here.
    Emm...

Would you not agree given commute times that there might be a few minor flaws in your theory.

There seem to be a few who aspire to some mythical European ideal where we all cycle around in the sunshine with daisies braided through our hair, which this being Galway probably has some merit, but of course this is going to run headlong into hard reality for many people.

Hard reality meets vocal idealism, sparks will fly as always. Couple that with the single most incompetent local authority on earth, vested interests that are willing to try and throttle an entire city because they want to keep their little village filled with their relations and not blow-ins from the big smoke when a bypass brings development, and you have a fine pot to stir.

Sigh. Here we go again
    I agree however this style of argument - false allegations, ad hominem attacks, straw man arguments appears to be an established part of the culture of this forum under the current moderators. Furthermore it is such a consistent pattern that it is hard to shake the conclusion that those involved understand themselves to have the active protection of the moderators.

And then, as if on cue, we get more of this stuff
    Doc Ruby wrote: »
    There seem to be a few who aspire to some mythical European ideal where we all cycle around in the sunshine with daisies braided through our hair, which this being Galway probably has some merit, but of course this is going to run headlong into hard reality for many people.

Has anybody, anywhere in this forum, ever suggested that solving Galway's traffic will require everyone to cycle everywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Has anybody, anywhere in this forum, ever suggested that solving Galway's traffic will require everyone to cycle everywhere?
    Yeah there was one fella in one of the closed threads. May have been a throwaway comment but thats what I took from it.

Anyways thats not the point, threads about traffic are getting too punchy so some people should maybe settle down a bit and try to see the other side of the story.

For we should all stand shoulder to shoulder united in anger at the local authority.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

1054537.6.3.jpg

I'm aware of the irony of appearing on TV in order to decry it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭confuseddotcom

I don't be in other Regional Threads but are they all jammed :D with Threads on Traffic too or is Galway just individual/unique/special etc? :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

I do love a traffic thread, they tend to act as a complete Bat Symbol for both pro- and anti- car types and there's an element of organised thread wrecking in it. We can very easily jump from "There's a pothole being fixed on Road X and there's a lane closed to" to a theoretical discussion of transport policy with all kinds of fanciful ideals being advanced.

I remember Politics had a similar problem a year or two ago whenever anything vaguely negative of SF was posted, there was a group who had a system to flood the thread and invariably divert it in a way that had it locked. They knew their audience and would just keep pushing the hot buttons. I'm not sure how it was dealt with or by which mod, but it seems to have been cured.

I suppose what I'm suggesting is some heads on sticks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Okay enough time has passed and we've all calmed down a bit, so here are a list of some of the threads that discuss current/future road projects in Galway city & county.

General
    General Roads discussion forum
    Roads projects thread finder - very useful as it uses tags associated with pages to generate lists of therads.

City Roads
    Kirwan/Ballinfoyle Roundabout discussion
    Headford Rd/Bodkin delay thread
    SQR
    Font & Morris RAB removal

Motorway threads
    M4/M6 completed sections
    M17/M18 & Tuam Bypass project
    N17 Tuam-Claremorris

Galway Bypass
    For the love of god please read these threads before commenting, you'll probably find that your argument has been at least partially discussed.
    GCOB Project thread - for news not discussion
    Is the Galway Bypass Necessary? - for the discussion of the reasons for and against the proposed road

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭what_traffic

antoobrien wrote: »
    Okay enough time has passed and we've all calmed down a bit, so here are a list of some of the threads that discuss current/future road projects in Galway city & county.

General
    General Roads discussion forum
    Roads projects thread finder - very useful as it uses tags associated with pages to generate lists of therads.

City Roads
    Kirwan/Ballinfoyle Roundabout discussion
    Headford Rd/Bodkin delay thread
    SQR
    Font & Morris RAB removal

Motorway threads
    M4/M6 completed sections
    M17/M18 & Tuam Bypass project
    N17 Tuam-Claremorris

Galway Bypass
    For the love of god please read these threads before commenting, you'll probably find that your argument has been at least partially discussed.
    GCOB Project thread - for news not discussion
    Is the Galway Bypass Necessary? - for the discussion of the reasons for and against the proposed road

How is this post contributing to the debate within this thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Imo it's ok as it points to threads where people can go to discuss traffic as they cannot do it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

How is this post contributing to the debate within this thread?
    biko wrote: »
    Imo it's ok as it points to threads where people can go to discuss traffic as they cannot do it here.

As Biko pointed out it's not really supposed to.

You and I both know where these threads are but many posters that only look at certain forums will not be familiar with these.

I think it's only fair that if we are asking people not to discuss future projects here, that we do point out (and keep a record that's not buried deep in a thread of) where they can be discussed.

Really? I thought this was exactly what you cannot do? You can only discuss traffic issues there as it pertains while those particular road schemes are being built(real or imaginary). So basically is it OK to discuss traffic issues in the Roads forums but not in the Galway City forum?

Yes.
    Read OP again and let me know if anything is unclear.

Yes.
    Read OP again and let me know if anything is unclear.

So only in the roads forum?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭GekkePrutser

antoobrien wrote: »
    [...]

Thanks! I usually only read the Galway City forum, it's too much work to stay on top of all of the forums I'm interested in on boards.

I really appreciate the pointers to places where the discussions on some of the road schemes are ongoing and are allowed.

So only in the roads forum?
    No, Roads or Infrastructure. Or even other forums, Commuting etc.
    The site is big and other forums aren't used by Dubs only.

No, Roads or Infrastructure. Or even other forums, Commuting etc.
    The site is big and other forums aren't used by Dubs only.

I believe it should be allowed to be discussed in more inclusive forum's, within reason. Galway City I would consider to be such a space.
    The issue I would have with your proposal - is that it usually leads to group thinking, using this Silo categorisation. For example if I goto the "Pedestrian" forum and start a discussion about how more people walking will solve traffic woes - its only other pedestrians who probably logon to that forum whom you are discussing/debating this with.

• Advertisement

The only logical place to discuss congestion within Galway City is the Galway City thread. If we want to know if their are delays or updates we aren't going to search the other forums.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement